Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bassinets / Child Seats in First / Club

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It's the cots we run out of, never the seats.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Correct the seat goes above the foot rest and your feet go underneath the infant seat.
Notmally that is the case in F, but must politely disagree on the 787-9. The "plateau" is far too low. My wife ended up sitting with her knees to her chest, and it also makes the TV pretty useless. As much as I like 787-9 as a solo passenger in F, it is terrible for travelling with an infant. A380 is th best for that one
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Correct the seat goes above the foot rest and your feet go underneath the infant seat.
Thanks. Was excited to book our four day old son today on his first flight and indeed a first First. Don't like 5EF on the 747 so taking 1AK. It's a morning departure to the east coast so we are less worried about needing to put him down somewhere so we can sleep ourselves. Will appreciated the privacy and space of those seats. Plus pretty cool his first boarding pass will be 1A on a 747. Coming back from LAX in 4EF on the 380 and will try out the child seat.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't forget to get sts603 junior a logbook.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
Notmally that is the case in F, but must politely disagree on the 787-9. The "plateau" is far too low. My wife ended up sitting with her knees to her chest, and it also makes the TV pretty useless. As much as I like 787-9 as a solo passenger in F, it is terrible for travelling with an infant. A380 is th best for that one
You are correct, I have just watch a video on how to fix the child seat and it is indeed very close to the legrest, how stupid.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
It's the cots we run out of, never the seats.
I still don't quite get how it could happen that you can run out of either, seeing as this requirement is probably known well in advance in 99% of cases. Parents don't just stick a child on a flight on a passing whim (well, yours truly certainly doesn't). Plus they have to be ticketed right?

Anyway, not gonna rehash that old debate here...
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Interesting discussion - I learnt a lot I didn't know about a topic which will be very relevant...

Our first long-haul with our 10-month old this autumn. I did not know that there are two different types of baby seat on BA: a cot, and a seat.

Is the cot really only for very small babies, and the seat for bigger ones? This will be an overnight flight, so would really like to be able to lay her flat to sleep; she does not sleep well in a slump/seated position!

As for cots/seats not being loaded/available...can I check:

- Any known issue with this at LGW over LHR? I will obviously ask at check-in and again at the gate and on-board whether something has been loaded...so is LGW better/worse than LHR in this regard

- I fear there will be many babies on our flight - to family-friendly Mauritius...but we should be safe enough in Club (and as Gold) to get a seat? Or should I worry?

We have the middle E/F seat pair, so should be plenty of room for little one to play/lie down with us if need be...that said, I will be EXTREMELY annoyed if there is no seat or cot for her on a 12-hour overnight flight...might as well not pay for CW if we have to hold her all night...
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pascoe
I still don't quite get how it could happen that you can run out of either, seeing as this requirement is probably known well in advance in 99% of cases. Parents don't just stick a child on a flight on a passing whim (well, yours truly certainly doesn't). Plus they have to be ticketed right?

There is a set amount loaded on each flight and the amount and mix doesn't change.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ratypus
Interesting discussion - I learnt a lot I didn't know about a topic which will be very relevant...

Our first long-haul with our 10-month old this autumn. I did not know that there are two different types of baby seat on BA: a cot, and a seat.

Is the cot really only for very small babies, and the seat for bigger ones? This will be an overnight flight, so would really like to be able to lay her flat to sleep; she does not sleep well in a slump/seated position!

As for cots/seats not being loaded/available...can I check:

- Any known issue with this at LGW over LHR? I will obviously ask at check-in and again at the gate and on-board whether something has been loaded...so is LGW better/worse than LHR in this regard

- I fear there will be many babies on our flight - to family-friendly Mauritius...but we should be safe enough in Club (and as Gold) to get a seat? Or should I worry?

We have the middle E/F seat pair, so should be plenty of room for little one to play/lie down with us if need be...that said, I will be EXTREMELY annoyed if there is no seat or cot for her on a 12-hour overnight flight...might as well not pay for CW if we have to hold her all night...
There has been some shortages recently but we are told there are now more in stock.
The child seats do recline fully but in that position are not fully flat.
You are correct being in CW and Gold should work in your favour, preboard and tell the crew straight away.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:59 am

There has been some shortages recently but we are told there are now more in stock.
The child seats do recline fully but in that position are not fully flat.
You are correct being in CW and Gold should work in your favour, preboard and tell the crew straight away.

Thank you - as long as the seat reclines that should be OK, even if not "full flat".

Will make sure to ask the crew soon as we can. I suspect MRU is probably a popular route for couples with babies...
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Pascoe

I'm with you. It baffles me that the crew are always surprised to see a baby arrive, rather than being prepared with appropriate seating. I've had a couple of long flights where nothing was loaded at all so I would ask at every step of the way to increase the chances of actually getting a baby seat. Be prepared to fit the seat for the crew, that process also seems to be completely new to them.

BA persist in talking a good game and making a mess of the reality.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So the crew will know in advance that there are infants booked but will not know if they need the cot or the car seat.
The cots and car seats should always be loaded and it's not until we look after takeoff we see them missing.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:36 pm

So it's definitely then worth asking crew to check as soon as you board that a seat/cot has actually been loaded??

And that's not just annoying for the crew at a time when they have a ton of other things to do?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes please ask them to check they have been loaded but as I said before we are told there are now more in stock.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Don't forget to get sts603 junior a logbook.
Will do!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.