Bassinets / Child Seats in First / Club

Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Would you recommend A380 F or Club World for a solo traveller with an infant (and if so, which seat?)
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Not sure for A380 but on 777 and 747 the bassinet/infant seat is a dedicated seat. However you cannot watch the IFE when the seat is in place when in F.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by ermen
Would you recommend A380 F or Club World for a solo traveller with an infant (and if so, which seat?)
Solo traveller, First for sure on A380. Even if you will have more leg space and use of your seat in Club. Problem is in Club, you risk on being sat right next to a stranger (although maybe that is not the case in UD)

If a couple, Club for sure , on the lower deck in the pair seats...
Old Apr 10, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red
Hi, Reviving this topic as I have a very similar question.

It seems the consensus is that Club is better than First but I'd be interested if anyone has any other views.

Our situation:

LHR-AUS in September, when our first child will be on her first long haul flight, aged nearly 1.

All flights are showing 747 (surprised that the Dreamliner isn't operating but maybe that's a different topic)

Club prices are high, so F is only 10% more. We've never flown F or been in the Concorde Room so this is very tempting!

However the practicalities of the middle pair of seats in Club is probably going to outweigh the excitement of our first opportunity to experience F. Welcome to parenthood...
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by BardLucyHumeXI
aged nearly 1.

All flights are showing 747
I think there's a couple of key factors - size of baby vs size of bouncer and mobility requirements of baby to entertain themselves.

We have recently completed two flights in first on the 747 with our 6 month old. For reference he's a very large chap for his age (currently filling 12 month clothes) so possibly not too different in size to your little one, but he is not mobile at the moment.

On the first flight we had the bouncer fitted, which the chap fit into ok and was fairly peaceful in so sizewise ok. However, it has the rather massive disadvantage that you can't then watch the screen as the position of the bouncer blocks it -- our workaround to this was to start a film at the same time in both seats and watch through the divider while listening to own headphones. If yours wants to be mobile you do not have a space to corral them like you do in the "buddy seats" in CW.

To be honest ours didn't then spend much time in the bouncer as ultimately he took up his own seat over the aisle from us - where he slept very happily. On the return flight we didn't bother with the bouncer as again the seat across the aisle was free and therefore we were able to take advantage of it from the start.

The 747 is nice and loud in terms of "white noise" which helps to soothe him and also cover up any noises. In fact, the collegiate nature of the first cabin worked well in terms of everyone wanting to be introduced and then checking on him during the flight - at no time was anyone annoyed etc.

Buddy dining is an excellent feature, and means that you can get some peace (assuming the young one sleeps at some point). Forgot to look if you are Gold, but if not also the use of the First wing makes things a lot easier - when trying to get all the 1000s of items you need through the scanners it is a calmer and more happy place to be.

Personally, i'd go for First unless you need to allow for the mobility.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO; DL GLD
Originally Posted by londonsmiler
I think there's a couple of key factors - size of baby vs size of bouncer and mobility requirements of baby to entertain themselves.

We have recently completed two flights in first on the 747 with our 6 month old. For reference he's a very large chap for his age (currently filling 12 month clothes) so possibly not too different in size to your little one, but he is not mobile at the moment.

On the first flight we had the bouncer fitted, which the chap fit into ok and was fairly peaceful in so sizewise ok. However, it has the rather massive disadvantage that you can't then watch the screen as the position of the bouncer blocks it -- our workaround to this was to start a film at the same time in both seats and watch through the divider while listening to own headphones. If yours wants to be mobile you do not have a space to corral them like you do in the "buddy seats" in CW.

To be honest ours didn't then spend much time in the bouncer as ultimately he took up his own seat over the aisle from us - where he slept very happily. On the return flight we didn't bother with the bouncer as again the seat across the aisle was free and therefore we were able to take advantage of it from the start.

The 747 is nice and loud in terms of "white noise" which helps to soothe him and also cover up any noises. In fact, the collegiate nature of the first cabin worked well in terms of everyone wanting to be introduced and then checking on him during the flight - at no time was anyone annoyed etc.

Buddy dining is an excellent feature, and means that you can get some peace (assuming the young one sleeps at some point). Forgot to look if you are Gold, but if not also the use of the First wing makes things a lot easier - when trying to get all the 1000s of items you need through the scanners it is a calmer and more happy place to be.

Personally, i'd go for First unless you need to allow for the mobility.
Agree with this. First is the way to go. 5EF and you can pass the little guy back and forth through the divider. If you're lucky, there will be an open seat next to you. We did this the other week with our soon to be 2 year old. He just ended up sleeping on me as he was way too big for the britax seat.
londonsmiler likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red
Thanks for the replies! We're still torn, so we're thinking we might do:

Outbound daytime flight from LHR in the Club "cuddle" seats with the little one playing on the floor (but no CCR )

Come home overnight in First (18.45 departure so plenty of time to enjoy the food) when we hope to all get some sleep
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Upper deck?

Great content on First. I was wondering though, can you use a BA provided seat on the upper deck (Club) of the 747? We'll be flying DEN>LHR. Thanks!

Last edited by mikebrooklyn; Aug 6, 2018 at 12:34 pm Reason: Adding Club World flying preference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.