Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
No wonder their Customers Relations performance is so poor if they're going to make us create a different request for every booking, and have to follow up multiple times...

I can add another data point to the above about the Exec Club team not being forthcoming with any cancellation or Avios offers. I've tried again on the standard CR complaints form, will see if that gets any better response.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by aks120
So I put in a load of forms to claim 1000 miles for all my SH flights booked up until April. The first of the response have come in.......

Two for the same flight I have on 7 Oct - one email giving me 1000 miles (which have posted) and one telling me tough!!! Left and and right hand......

I am now interested to see what else comes in from the other 10 i put in over the weekend! Consistency should be expected at the very least!

Regards

aks120
May I enquire where you got this abstract concept of BA consistency?

It's just another glowing example of how useless BA can be.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by T8191
May I enquire where you got this abstract concept of BA consistency?

It's just another glowing example of how useless BA can be.
But they are being consistent - they are consistently inconsistent
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:22 am

No offer of compensation for any of my 2017 bookings either.

I have quite a few CW bookings to make with domestic connections for the first three months of next year.
I've held off for now as I'm not sure about the changes. It seems crazy to me that people paying for a CW or F long haul flight with a domestic connection, will need to pay for catering on board.

I don't usually make too much use of onboard catering short haul, tea or water and the lemon melts are my usuals, a G&T is as crazy as it gets occasionally.

Personally, I value the catering at more than it's actually worth. It's one less thing to think about, in the same way that I pay for "unlimited" data for broadband and mobile connections. If I take a look at my data usage, I could probably reduce my bills by paying for what I usually use, but I just don't want the hassle of having to think about it.
I know it's not a huge thing, it's just one less thing to think about in my busy life!

I won't be boycotting BA,(I can't as they have a virtual monopoly at LHR) but I probably won't renew my gold status, as I shift more business to rivals.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Aside from drinks which are clearly change for worse, I'd be quite happy with getting some food options available on board (I will not be missing bag of crisps or pseudo croissant for breakfast). But I'm very dissapointed with offer.

When I compare it to AB Airbistro (menu), it just doesn't catch up. It might be fine for small hops to Dublin or Amsterdam, but I miss more substantial offers for longer flights, not to mention quality (Beck's? Seriously?). There don't seem to be any hot meals and drinks are... well, basic.

If they chose to do BOB, why not offer high quality so they actually make as much money as possible on it?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I completed the online forms, claiming my 1000 Avios compensation for each of my forthcoming ET flights. I clearly specified the dates, flight numbers and the fact that I was claiming Avios in lieu of the promised complementary food and drink.

This is what I received in return (edited)...

Thanks for your feedback about our new catering offering. I can appreciate your disappointment. However, please let me explain our position.

As you’re aware, we’re partnering with another great British brand, Marks & Spencer, to offer customers the option to purchase great food on board from 11 January 2017...

The move comes following extensive customer research and feedback, which highlighted dissatisfaction around our current short-haul catering offering and found customers want meals that reflect what they would normally choose on the go...

We’re grateful you've taken the time to give us your feedback about our new catering offering. This change came as a result of customer research and feedback and it’s only through your comments we’re able to focus our attention.

Thanks again for getting in touch about this. We value your support as a Silver member of our Executive Club. I hope we can welcome you on board in the future. If I can help you with anything else please feel free to contact me directly.
So, just a standard cut-n-paste job that shows without a doubt that no-one read or understood my claim.

I certainly will be contacting them directly, because I'm not letting them get away with this.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by danpwc
It seems crazy to me that people paying for a CW or F long haul flight with a domestic connection, will need to pay for catering on board.
+1.^
It does not seem crazy, it is completely crazy. You pay a hefty sum for a F ticket and then you will have to pay additionally for your drinks on the domestic leg.
It is due to the fact that BA does not have domestic business but it is completely unacceptable. I think that BA will have to introdruce free drinks and a snack for the OWE pax and for the domestic pax connecting to and from LH flights in CW and F.
It could also be a sign that BA will soon terminate their domestic flights and change their name to London Airways.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60

So, just a standard cut-n-paste job that shows without a doubt that no-one read or understood my claim.

I certainly will be contacting them directly, because I'm not letting them get away with this.
How sad it is that

a) so many FT-ers are reporting clear evidence of BA's apparent inability/refusal to actually read & respond properly to correspondence

and

b) we have almost come to view this shoddy approach to customer relations as the norm
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Misco60
I completed the online forms, claiming my 1000 Avios compensation for each of my forthcoming ET flights. I clearly specified the dates, flight numbers and the fact that I was claiming Avios in lieu of the promised complementary food and drink.

I have received a cut and paste letter similar to yours but also awarding 1000 per person (4000 for the family in total) which have posted.

This was in response to a very strongly worded perhaps over the top letter threatening legal action (I am a lawyer who spends his days with patents and who has never done a small claims action and who is genuinely prepared to do one for the experience - although of course they will settle before) . The letter refers to my flight in February which is a RFS of ET out and CE back, so I have replied on the basis that I am assuming that the compensation was for that single ET flight and that I am looking forward to receiving the same for each way of my ET return flight booked for April.

For information, I am Bronze (and never been more than Bronze) with enough bookings already made for me to turn silver by the New Year. The rest of my party are blues.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by the810

If they chose to do BOB, why not offer high quality so they actually make as much money as possible on it?
It is possible that they will tweak the offering although I suspect future changes will be more likely to be replacing M&S with garage sandwiches and replacing EC meals (perhaps for the shorter flights only first) with a freebie sandwich.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:36 am

I've got a domestic connection to CW (paid WTP UUA). I sent a claim to BA and was offered a £10 evoucher to share with my travelling companion return. This would have potentially been some use if I could have used them for 4 bottles of water and a packet of Percy pigs, but I don't think I can buy on board credit with an evoucher!
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I have a short haul booking for February which was made couple of months ago. There are 4 sectors in total, 2 outbound and 2 inbound. I haven't reached out to BA yet, but I intend to. What realistically should I expect for service recovery? 1000, 2000 or 4000 avios? Or anything at all?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Originally Posted by zanderblue
I have a short haul booking for February which was made couple of months ago. There are 4 sectors in total, 2 outbound and 2 inbound. I haven't reached out to BA yet, but I intend to. What realistically should I expect for service recovery? 1000, 2000 or 4000 avios? Or anything at all?
I have just got off the phone with one of the Social Media team who was absolutely lovely - listened to what I had to say and made all the right noises.

However, she offered 1,000 Avios to say sorry, which I turned down. I have 7 affected flights and that is rubbish. I told her that if she was able to give me enough Avios for a G&T and snack on each flight (6,125 Avios) then I would be more than happy to accept as it would make up for what has been taken away, but 1,000 Avios for the whole lot is not acceptable, and by taking them I would be saying that it is ok - which is it not!
Old Oct 4, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Can anyone estimate the number of avios that will be handed out for this reason alone ? Handing out avios is like printing money. Easily devalued by the issuer when deemed necessary. So those of us with accumulated balances will "pay" a steeper price.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by aceman
Recent flight the cc near on implored me to write in and complain about the changes as "they'll never know otherwise"

Near on blushing with embarrassment as they distributed mars bars and kit kats
I've had this too in 3 of my last 4 flights where the ambient snack (I think) has been offered. Was passed the basket with an apology and a request for me to send in a complaint for the unacceptable catering if I wasn't happy. Indeed, on one of the fights, the cabin crew member was just going from row to row passing around the basket, apologising to everyone, and encouraging everyone to let the managers know how poor the catering on the flight was! Not quite what you expect from a front-line employee but, as a passenger, I respected this. And did exactly as I was told.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.