Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:00 am

Cancel a booking

Has anyone successfully cancelled a booking for post January 11th?

I've just tried to cancel a booking for February over the phone on the gold line, but it's been referred to customer relations who will phone me back tomorrow.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Padmeister
Blimey Orbitmic you could talk a glass eye to sleep
Well, that's a skill like any other (probably even a valuable one if you have a 2 year old!)
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
I'm not bothered by the food especially, but the inability to get a coffee or simple cup of tea on an early-morning flight, or a decent glass of water, is unacceptable. And, frankly, on a 3hr flight I want a spicy tomato juice or G&T.

Presumably you'll have to pay extra for Worcester Sauce now, or will that be enhanced away entirely?

I think that BA & Heathrow Airport need to (at the very least) put a water fountain with bottle-fill capability at every gate.

Incidentally, based on Twitter answers, the new BA-approved euphemism for "enhancement" is now "positive change for the future".
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by DeanB
Incidentally, based on Twitter answers, the new BA-approved euphemism for "enhancement" is now "positive change for the future".
"Upgrades" seems to me to have been the more frequent codeword in their answers!
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:18 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Can you cancel a long haul flight if it includes a eu-lhr connection? Might be a way to rebook if a cheaper fare comes up?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Can you cancel a long haul flight if it includes a eu-lhr connection? Might be a way to rebook if a cheaper fare comes up?
I would certainly feel free to ask. Apart from anything else, I suspect that it would bother the airline more than cancelling cheap short haul sectors.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
But tea and coffee would be by far one of the biggest sellers and costs BA next to nothing. Massive margins and very profitable. My guess is bottled water would also sell well and be quite profitable. Giving these for free would hugely affect the bottom line for BoB.
Not if you can buy a bottle of water for £1.30 or so from World Duty Free in London, and €1 hornor system in Dublin airport. Soon people will blog online to tell travellers how to beat the BA price. It will not sell very well at all for the price they are charging.

Free water and coffee/tea buys BA a good PR. If Finnair can do it, I am sure BA can do it better.

In fact, the biggest profit centre among all the menu items are the soft drinks, alcoholic spirit miniatures and beers.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
In fact, the biggest profit centre among all the menu items are the soft drinks, alcoholic spirit miniatures and beers.
I must admit that I find Flexible Preferences's argument more convincing. In my experience of LCCs, water, tea and coffee are indeed by far what the greatest number of people seem to buy. Alcohol does ok on evening flights or long holiday flights but probably not much else and the margin on a cup of tea or bottle of water is enormous.

On UK flights, crisps seem to sell well as well.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Everything you say is correct.

However, the challenge for BA is that they also must maintain share of high-yield premium traffic to make things work.
Except the high yield premium customers aren't as high yield as they once were.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by simons1
I don't know about aspirational. When my kids travel they put it all into an online site like Kayak and see what's most effective. BA is just one of many airlines that comes out in the results.

They don't think twice about it, nothing to do with aspirations at all.
Indeed, the vast majority of those flying on BA will have chosen them because they were the best option for that specific trip, not because they got a free G&T and a bag of bird seed.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Indeed, the vast majority of those flying on BA will have chosen them because they were the best option for that specific trip, not because they got a free G&T and a bag of bird seed.
You can say that. And you may be right. But even BA seemed to believe otherwise in all of its advertising campaigns until last year or so...
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by bafan
You can say that. And you may be right. But even BA seemed to believe otherwise in all of its advertising campaigns until last year or so...
Yup, I remember the whole comparison campaign, seat selection, free case, free drink and snack.

All now gone. It looks like they now think it all makes zero difference and they're probably right.

People choose on price/ convenience, not on 'free' stuff
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
My attitude towards BA does not change significantly as a result of BOB.

I still distrust the brand and assume the company is going to screw me over at the slightest opportunity, but I like the lounges and the GUFs and will surely like the CCR and Jokers come January...

Monkeying around with RFS though, or restricting lounge access, would really going to impact me during 2017. If (when?) they start attacking these benefits, I simply won't bother preferring OW any more (I stopped preferring BA some time ago).

My sub £10k annual spend won't even pay the Cruzifier's tapas bill, but I will take some small satisfaction in boarding a KLM at AMS instead...
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by Padmeister
Before and after flight somewhere we all get an opportunity to drink if we want and need too! In every day life people go for hours without food or drink I know at work I myself have done that when your head is buried in work and do not have chance.
... I think the last time I had to go without drinking for more than 3 hours was in initial military training (together with other health damaging practices).

@bluesaturn: Thanks for the suggestion bringing an empty bottle and filling it in the toilet - at least where water is of drinkable quality. Probably even better fill it in the lounge with bottled water.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Ah, you are still doing the "guarantee" thing I see!

Incidentally, that is actually a rather moot point: if the goal was to fill plane, everyone could do that: some airlines and services have gone bankrupt with loads near 100%. The difficulty relates to yields rather than loads.

If, as I presume you suggest, you can guarantee that BA will be able to continue filling planes with similar or higher yields as now and reduce costs, then it's great for them. They have nothing to worry about, can safely ignore the passengers who claim to be disgruntled, and in fact press ahead with faster and more radical continued product deterioration in all classes of service. The only mystery questions become why they have not done it earlier (frankly, if BA never had anything to gain from offering free drinks and food in the first place, I really do wonder why on earth they did for so long) and why other European legacy carriers have not done it either. They must have all had pretty wasteful managers.
+1

In all seriousness: This very well can come down to " Yes shareholders, we lose money per pax flown but we will make it up in volume" school of thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.