Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: BA
The Dumbing Down Continues.......

So it goes on......oh for the days when BA was a really great airline....even first class is now poor by comparison to so many others.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Let me welcome you to Flyertalk used.to.love BA, and indeed to the BA board, it's great to see you here, even if the context is somewhat dismal from your perspective. I hope you will continue to participate here, as you can see you are part of quite a big choir now.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I tend to believe those at IAG/BA know what they're doing but we'll just have to wait and see.
BoB must be something they've seriously been looking into for years so I doubt the decision has been taken lightly.
I think that "know what they are doing" is, by definition, an overstatement in the field. Like you, I believe that they have considered this for years, and precisely, if the decision was an obvious one it would have been taken years ago. I think that management have made the decision that they believe will be best, but they can only do that with a lot of unknown.

I think people should remember that there is actually no precedent of a European profit making legacy carrier going BoB. All those which did only took such a steps at a time they were in a situation of either virtual bankruptcy or near bankruptcy, and at a time that they ceased to be global airlines, closing a lot of long haul routes to refocus on the short haul P2P sector. Even the largest of them, IB did that at a time it massively cut its long haul network even though it ended up reopening some of its routes since (and even then, frankly, it has a limited long haul network besides Latin America). In that sense, despite the parallels used by others, BA is in fact in a situation that no other airline has exactly been in before.

That said, again, I agree with you that it has been long matured and not taken lightly. Incidentally, in exactly the same way, I think that while there are a number of people on this forum who have said they will never fly BA again whose statements I am taking with a pinch of salt, there are many other who, are equally reaching a conclusion to break their loyalty with BA as a result of a long matured decision that did not merely start with this week's announcement. I think that they too are making a choice which must be difficult, but in a sense, they "know what they are doing" rather more than BA in the sense that the existing alternatives are relatively clear and known to them.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Let me welcome you to Flyertalk used.to.love BA, and indeed to the BA board, it's great to see you here, even if the context is somewhat dismal from your perspective. I hope you will continue to participate here, as you can see you are part of quite a big choir now.
And I'll add my welcome too, hoping that your lost love for the airline will be fully compatible with a continuous passion for discussing it!
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by headingwest
all I can see is the killing of a brand.
Who cares about the brand? Obviously not the millions who fled to Easyjet and Ryanair.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Who cares about the brand? Obviously not the millions who fled to Easyjet and Ryanair.
And no doubt a lot more now!
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Proposal vetoed by BA on cost grounds.
Not on cost grounds ... on 'does not punish Exec club members enough ' grounds ..
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:34 pm

Calm down everyone, this is an incredibly clever strategy to get Gatwick to have a second runway.

Make BA so rubbish that heathrow gets emptier and pushes people to the other airport.
Second runway gets commissioned
Dumps heathrow slots
Buys Gatwick cheap slots
Becomes true LCC

Clever people that Cruz and Walsh
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by headingwest
And no doubt a lot more now!
No doubt but that's the general public for you...no doubt BA will be able to attract some back as well.

What put me off the Ryanair brand wasn't the ''we'll take more money from you'' but the now you see it now you don't chopping and changing of schedules and routes from PIK. BA still has that advantage.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:50 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I've been following this thread with interest as many have on here.

It really is a poor show for BA not to even offer tea, coffee and water but taking the emotion out of the BoB issue will I choose another carrier? Realistically, probably not for longhaul. Will I buy anything onboard EDI-LHR or doing the odd ex-EU? Definitely not.

I say that as a purely leisure traveller and going longhaul I am EDI-LHR-XXX so the connecting is very convenient.

Shorthaul I wouldn't generally go BA now but this was my view before the changes came in and after I took a direct EDI-FAO with Ryanair as I was back in 2 hours 20 mins or so.

I'd probably take a far more critical view if I were a real FF'r and hopping around Europe or domestically regulalry.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Originally Posted by Flyingturkey
Calm down everyone, this is an incredibly clever strategy to get Gatwick to have a second runway.

Make BA so rubbish that heathrow gets emptier and pushes people to the other airport.
Second runway gets commissioned
Dumps heathrow slots
Buys Gatwick cheap slots
Becomes true LCC

Clever people that Cruz and Walsh
no, they make both airports LCC bases ..

Last edited by psollitt; Oct 2, 2016 at 1:27 pm
Old Oct 2, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I've received the 1,000 Avios per person per booking via the Social Media team.

By the way, they addressed their email with the reply to the second passenger, rather than me, even mentioning his Silver status... despite the email being sent to my address!
Old Oct 2, 2016, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01
Will I buy anything onboard EDI-LHR or doing the odd ex-EU? Definitely not.
Just confirms my suspicions that all Edinburgers are tight fisted.

I don't recall buying anything on any BoB flight I've been on with the exception of a SAS GLA-ARN return. It was a cup of coffee with a Danish pastry deal. Typical Scandinavian price right enough....around £75.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 3:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Just confirms my suspicions that all Edinburgers are tight fisted.

I don't recall buying anything on any BoB flight I've been on with the exception of a SAS GLA-ARN return. It was a cup of coffee with a Danish pastry deal. Typical Scandinavian price right enough....around £75.
Correct! I remember I dropped 50 pence once and it hit me on the back of the head!
Old Oct 2, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by PETER01
Will I buy anything onboard EDI-LHR or doing the odd ex-EU? Definitely not.
AC has had BOB in domestic Y for quite awhile now and quite frankly I can exist in their Y on 4.5->5.5 hour YYZ-YYC or YVR domestic short haul flights just by eating before I get to or by buying something in the airport. I don't mind buying a beer on the plane on a trip that length. If this BOB is a cost saving move it might work but if BA thinks it's going to be a money spinner i think they are going to be mistaken on the relatively short European flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.