Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by o0herbie
I consider SAS the nadir in mainstream airlines for economy service in short haul - even they offer free tea and coffee.

Congrats BA - below SAS...
Also: They offer Star Alliance Gold members a free checked bag even on HBO fares, which are also significantly cheaper than BA. And the T2 lounges are much more pleasant and have better food (if not drink) than GF. It's going to be bye-bye BA on my main EU routes.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by flyer200
Like every other BA cut back, people come on FT, complain and don't change their flying patterns.

BA profits continue to rise.
Fair point. But I really can't see my CFO accepting our employees justification to to travel with BA at a substantially greater price and then expense a series of receipts for water or a g&t.

The expectation will be to travel at the cheaper price point which inclusive of the g&t and ob offering will still come out less than BA.

LH is an entirely different situation since, sleep, space and privacy are typically deemed a higher priority and one that can be justified on personal preference (if the travel policy allows).

So yes I expect to see a fall in traffic from corporate accounts which will materially impact the bottom line. After all the fares won't decrease.

I also believe many people won't have a choice on SH if they travel on corporate tickets. Since the announcement is hard to escape.

Last edited by carat22; Sep 29, 2016 at 3:07 pm
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
It's not much to ask for on a short flight is it? A cup of coffee and a small bite to eat? Call me naïve, but for a national airline it's a poor show bringing BoB in.

Last edited by Dicksbits; Sep 29, 2016 at 3:09 pm
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Sounds like a good high quality food brand to use. Pricing OK too - cheaper than the AA options linked to by elitetraveller.
I believe AA increased prices at some point - 6 months or so after launching BOB - higher costs than anticipated - I agree the BA prices look reasonable, which means they will be raised for some reason in the not too distant future.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Will there be Euro prices too or will all our European cousins also have to pay an overseas transaction fee?
Maybe BA will want to get in on the dynamic currency scam of offering to charge your bank card in its native currency at some awful exchange rate? The bank accounts of the airline's short-term shareholders and management figures are hungry for more money.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I believe AA increased prices at some point - 6 months or so after launching BOB - higher costs than anticipated - I agree the BA prices look reasonable, which means they will be raised for some reason in the not too distant future.
AA and its competitors have been wise enough to keep coffee, soft drinks, mixers, and water free on all domestic flights (https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...cabin-food.jsp). This is important; you can bring your own sandwich, and get free beverages to go with it (and if you're OWE, free alcohol as well).
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver
As an American I had to look up "Percy Pigs" since I had no idea what they were, only to find this: "Marks & Spencer Percy Pig sweets contain real pig in the form of pork gelatin, as opposed to pectin, a common vegetarian alternative found widely in sweets and jellies." Candy with real pig in it for purchase, yet another reason to choose British Airways.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences Sounds like a good high quality food brand to use. Pricing OK too - cheaper than the AA options linked to by elitetraveller.
You probably won't want to read this or look at the pictures of factory workers using their bare hands to press down the fillings on a sandwich. I can say I've learnt something tonight; M&S, Asda and various others all get their sandwiches made at the same factory.

Warning:- Daily Fail link below
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...LION-week.html
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:14 pm
K&C

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just booked 4 Ryanair flights this evening instead of BA and currently filling the claim/complaint form for 6 flights in February.

Husband has moaned, Facebooked/Tweeted, looked out a tupperware box to liberate sandwiches from the lounge, small empty gin miniatures, cooler for the tonic and beer also from the lounge.

Teenagers in our house comments tonight
" I don't like M&S c**p"
"everybody will eat and drink more in the lounge so that will cost BA more, stupid"
"I'll need to stuff more cans and crisps in my bag when in the lounge"
" so Grandpa will have to pay for a cup of tea despite paying lots for a ticket in First when coming back up to Glasgow?? I feel sorry for who tells him that on the plane. He'll go off on one"
It's got our family talking.
We will have to fly BA at some point to connect from Scotland but no cash or avois will be used to buy food and drink in this family.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by stifle
Looking at the order itself rather than the MSE summary, it does not state that this is limited to paying customers.
No! I'm not sure how many times I need to tell you. From the order:

3. The responsible person shall ensure that free tap water is provided on request to customers where it is reasonably available.

Just to keep this on topic, BA are giving drinking water for free, and these regs don't apply to them anyway.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by VFRonTop
I guess this now stops all those members with piles of avios complaining that they dont have anything to spend them on
A sandwich a day makes the avios go away...
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Quarky Quark
You probably won't want to read this or look at the pictures of factory workers using their bare hands to press down the fillings on a sandwich. I can say I've learnt something tonight; M&S, Asda and various others all get their sandwiches made at the same factory.

Warning:- Daily Fail link below
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...LION-week.html
Will somebody please post that on Twitter and FB LOL
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by cmo3p
As an American I had to look up "Percy Pigs" since I had no idea what they were, only to find this: "Marks & Spencer Percy Pig sweets contain real pig in the form of pork gelatin, as opposed to pectin, a common vegetarian alternative found widely in sweets and jellies." Candy with real pig in it for purchase, yet another reason to choose British Airways.
M&S sell both gelatin-based and gelatin-free varieties of Percy. Not sure if the latter will be sold onboard. The former are extremely popular in any case (as are bacon rolls as it happens).

Last edited by Ldnn1; Sep 29, 2016 at 3:33 pm
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
BA are giving drinking water for free,
If their potable water tanks are as clean as the planes, then we'll be fine.

Oh, hang on....
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
BA say that this is due to customer feedback. Did they only survey super models and anorexics?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.