Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2016, 4:58 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
has anyone else had CC imploring them to write in about this change? ones that I've spoken seem quite mortified about the whole thing
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by aceman
has anyone else had CC imploring them to write in about this change? ones that I've spoken seem quite mortified about the whole thing
Because of the abuse they know they'll cop, no doubt. Admittedly the FA's will have it much worse
Old Oct 15, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Originally Posted by Bluebirdnick
. Even in economy you can sit back, relax and enjoy a g&t whilst watching the world pass by out of the window.

That probably cost BA tuppence but I valued it at pounds.
You won't mind paying pounds for it then.

Last edited by highpeaklad; Oct 15, 2016 at 7:15 am
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by cme17
Very helpful agent allowed me to cancel my BA holiday flight with full refund. Excellent service and no waiting on getting the call answered.
Can anyone confirm if the refunds include seat fees? I will be cancelling May flights next week and have paid for exit seats x2 both ways.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Lioneye
Can anyone confirm if the refunds include seat fees? I will be cancelling May flights next week and have paid for exit seats x2 both ways.
Surely any seat costs will be included. Although I suppose you can't rule out some stunt. Maybe some bonus form filling.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by Lioneye
My seat selection was free so afraid I don't know the answer to your question.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
A bit of an interesting development has come about. BA have a req for a new Head of Catering.

https://jobs.ba.com/jobs/vacancy/hea...9/description/

https://jobs.ba.com/jobs/vacancy/hea...8-175625ba118d
Old Oct 15, 2016, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by icegirl
A bit of an interesting development has come about. BA have a req for a new Head of Catering.

Qualifications:

- Have your own shopping cart

Responsibilities:

- Run to M&S to procure sandwiches when supplies run low

Notes:

- Having a large van or tractor trailer will be advantageous
Old Oct 15, 2016, 3:54 pm

I might just go to Heathrow and buy up the whole of M&S and just sit outside each gate charging a few pence more per item. Burn an avios flight to get access to airside and take it from there!
Old Oct 16, 2016, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Just got the reply to my follow-up that 1k avios wasn't enough, and their response included:

We're very grateful you've taken the time to let us know about your views and comments. It’s only through your feedback we’re able to focus on areas where we need to improve, so we can offer you the best possible service. Sometimes it can take time for us to fix the problems we’re having, but we’ll always work hard to make sure they get resolved. Our Chairman and CEO, Alex Cruz, makes sure we improve continuously across all areas of our business, and I know you’ll see positive changes very soon.
I wonder what positive changes Cruz has got planned very soon then! I'm tempted to buy a couple of IAG shares to go to the AGM next year and ask him...
Old Oct 16, 2016, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Positive for the exec bonus of course.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
From that second link ...

•  Drives innovation and continuous improvement in response to customer feedback/insights
  •  Monitors consumer trends in food and drink as well as competitor initiatives, and devises timely actions to maintain BA’s relevance and competitiveness.
  •  Optimises catering costs by saving unnecessary spend and investing where valued by the customer
1. "Customers would prefer to pay for food than have it free."

2. "Fly Ryanair and see what they're doing - forget the other airlines."

3. "Remove all possible food products until the customers notice."
Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC

I'm guessing whoever was in charge, has either left willingly at the intro of BoB or has been ousted by Team Cruz and whoever comes in will need to be a puppet on a string and drive down costs and be good at buying sandwiches & Percy pigs...!
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.

An in the general blurb it says (referring to food)... After inflight service, this is the most important factor influencing customer satisfaction with their journey.

The lunatics are truly running the asylum!
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BA or bust
An in the general blurb it says (referring to food)... After inflight service, this is the most important factor influencing customer satisfaction with their journey.

The lunatics are truly running the asylum!
Interesting as this conflicts against those posters who claim catering doesn't have an influence, complainers = whiners who expect too much, and BA management carefully studies and understands the ramifications of their moves.

Clearly, cutting appetizer choice, removing amuse bouche in F, removing the bistro menu in F, stripping down Club Kitchen, cutting the second Y meal, seem to conflict with this statement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.