Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Since last month, and regardless of loads, I haven't seen any evidence of Fly, seat blocking etc. occurring on any of my flights.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
I've just noticed that for my upcoming flight to KWI on Saturday, more than 48h before the flight that all the remaining available seats in WT, WT+ [my cabin], CW and F cabins have been blocked [including for me as BAEC Gold].

Some of them were previously showing as blocked on EF, but were still available for me to choose.

This is not the case for the shorthaul EU flight earlier on the same day.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by jms_uk
I've just noticed that for my upcoming flight to KWI on Saturday, more than 48h before the flight that all the remaining available seats in WT, WT+ [my cabin], CW and F cabins have been blocked [including for me as BAEC Gold].

Some of them were previously showing as blocked on EF, but were still available for me to choose.

This is not the case for the shorthaul EU flight earlier on the same day.
Could that mean an a/c swap?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: BA GGL
Seat blocking in Club World?

Big fan of TS so far, has worked out great on shorthaul flights in terms of seat blocking.

It seems to me that a main benefit in Club World would be blocking seats such that you can avoid stepovers (being the stepper or the stepee). Does anybody know if the algorithm works like this? More helpful than blocking adjacent seats in my opinion - I worry more about this than an empty seat next to me on short haul.

No sense of entitlement / expectation. Personally I think this would be the best use of seat blocking, but obviously no reason BA should have to provide it!

A random side effect I like is that on full flights, I find it now tends to be very disorganised last minute, inexperienced, or just indifferent flyers sitting next to me (I assume on the basis the seat was blocked until nearly the last moment?), who can often make more interesting conversation than somebody else organised like me!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by woglet86
It seems to me that a main benefit in Club World would be blocking seats such that you can avoid stepovers (being the stepper or the stepee). Does anybody know if the algorithm works like this?
Yes it does. It prioritises empty seats so that Gold cardholders are more likely to have a spare seat next to them, plus it knows the CW layout to make the right choice in that respect. It is, however, more likely that you'd have an empty seat next to you (rather than the staggered seat) if you select the window bulkheads, which is particularly nice. But obviously it will keep couples together as far as possible, and if the cabin is full, well the cabin is full, so it isn't capable of magic unfortunately.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes it does. It prioritises empty seats so that Gold cardholders are more likely to have a spare seat next to them, plus it knows the CW layout to make the right choice in that respect. It is, however, more likely that you'd have an empty seat next to you (rather than the staggered seat) if you select the window bulkheads, which is particularly nice. But obviously it will keep couples together as far as possible, and if the cabin is full, well the cabin is full, so it isn't capable of magic unfortunately.
Excellent, thanks very much
Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
So i was meant to have Seat 26H on the 777 that's headed to ORD tomorrow from LHR. I went to check-in today and they seem to have moved me to 36C with no option to change it. I tried to phone and speak to someone but they said they don't have any power to switch it back.

If I wait until the airport tomorrow what are my chances of getting a decent seat?

Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Row 26 is now the last row of WTP, so if you have a WT ticket I can see how that happened.

Are you sure it's 36C? I can't see that on the map for a 77W but maybe I've misunderstood. And are you checking in via AA or BA? If on BA are you not getting a seat map? I don't think it's going to be a full flight, so if you go for a seat at the back in the central column you may get an empty seat next to you.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:40 am

Row 26 is now the last row of WTP, so if you have a WT ticket I can see how that happened.

Are you sure it's 36C? I can't see that on the map for a 77W but maybe I've misunderstood. And are you checking in via AA or BA? If on BA are you not getting a seat map? I don't think it's going to be a full flight, so if you go for a seat at the back in the central column you may get an empty seat next to you.
I checked in via BA. But their system is giving me so much conflicted information I don't truly know what is going on:

It seems I misspoke and I'm 37C, but I can't see a seatmap because my access has been totally restricted.

Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lavezzi
It seems I misspoke and I'm 37C, but I can't see a seatmap because my access has been totally restricted.
Because the boarding pass is shown as issued, no, you can't see the seat map. You can check in and move seats around thereafter, but once you have printed (or App'd, emailed, saved, faxed etc) your board pass then it's game over. However, 37C may not be too bad, it's certainly good for leg room:

http://thebasource.com/seatmaps/77w/14f56j44w183y.html

There are downsides: it's near the toilets and people may congregate in the area near you as a result. That's typically more at the end of the flight, mid flight it won't be too bad hopefully.

You do have a neighbour in 37B, perhaps part of the couple with 37A, it is a popular seat for some.

If you really don't like this, then ask the Twitter team or ring up to have you offloaded, then you should be able to get to the seat map again. I don't know why you wanted row 26, unless you had paid for WTP. Otherwise you would not have got that row, and if there was an aircraft change then that would explain the seat movements.

It's not a full flight in WT (or further forward) so there are other seats available, and if you want to keep it simple you can enquire about this at the airport tomorrow. You can see the whole middle lower section is empty.
F0 A0 J9 C0 D0 R0 I0 W9 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M7 L3 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G9
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:08 am

Because the boarding pass is shown as issued, no, you can't see the seat map. You can check in and move seats around thereafter, but once you have printed (or App'd, emailed, saved, faxed etc) your board pass then it's game over. However, 37C may not be too bad, it's certainly good for leg room:

http://thebasource.com/seatmaps/77w/14f56j44w183y.html

There are downsides: it's near the toilets and people may congregate in the area near you as a result. That's typically more at the end of the flight, mid flight it won't be too bad hopefully.

You do have a neighbour in 37B, perhaps part of the couple with 37A, it is a popular seat for some.

If you really don't like this, then ask the Twitter team or ring up to have you offloaded, then you should be able to get to the seat map again. I don't know why you wanted row 26, unless you had paid for WTP. Otherwise you would not have got that row, and if there was an aircraft change then that would explain the seat movements.

It's not a full flight in WT (or further forward) so there are other seats available, and if you want to keep it simple you can enquire about this at the airport tomorrow. You can see the whole middle lower section is empty.
F0 A0 J9 C0 D0 R0 I0 W9 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M7 L3 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G9
Thanks that's very helpful. I appreciate it!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
I had the seat next to me in CW free on a 50% loaded and a 96% leaded CW r/t LHR-EZE last week. In the latter flight it was the only free seat in CW (WT+ also full). Is this Fly/TS or just good luck? (I'm GGL)
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
probably a bit of both, as a GGL, you got lucky that no gold took the seat next to you. then you would have been a "priority" to have the seat next to you kept free by fly. If you were not the only GGL then again you got lucky that the system choose the seat next to you to keep empty rather than the one next to another GGL

Last edited by scottishpoet; Apr 30, 2017 at 4:08 am
Old May 2, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by woglet86
It seems to me that a main benefit in Club World would be blocking seats such that you can avoid stepovers (being the stepper or the stepee). Does anybody know if the algorithm works like this?
Not sure, when I was a blue card holder I could easily select 11K on a very busy 3-class 777-200, this is the last rear facing CW window seat and it has aisle access with no stepper/stepee involved.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Lavezzi
But their system is giving me so much conflicted information ...
If your seat is changed during the check-in process, the new seat number is usually not driven back into the main booking. That's the most likely explanation for what you are seeing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.