Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Originally Posted by MPH1980

To be honest - no one, beyond the analysis done up-thread for different status levels, understands exactly how the Amadeus system is making the choice.
Amadeus have filed several patents relating to TS which are quite informative but obviously don't give specifics. I think some of the manuals are available if you look hard enough.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Ok let the music chairs begin. Expert Flyer showing seat 1A, 3A, 6A free and they forced me to have 7D or 7F when check in opened. I guess I just have to keep checking!
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Ok let the music chairs begin. Expert Flyer showing seat 1A, 3A, 6A free and they forced me to have 7D or 7F when check in opened. I guess I just have to keep checking!
Does your profile have a windows preference? It should have allowed you either 3A (good window alignment) or 6A (which you don't want) from have said.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Does your profile have a windows preference? It should have allowed you either 3A (good window alignment) or 6A (which you don't want) from have said.
Yes it has a window preference allowance, so it offered me either 7E/F or 8E/F. I chose 7F and funnily enough row 8 has disappeared now (guess there was no need for row 8. I am checking every now and then. Expert flyer is now showing 1A and 3A blocked, and 5A 'available' but on OLCI it is showing only 7F for me on the seatmap, basically not allowing me to change seats whatsoever.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
but on OLCI it is showing only 7F for me on the seatmap, basically not allowing me to change seats whatsoever.
OK, I guess that may open up a bit in the next few hours, though you will know as well as anyone that on a full flight there is a limit to what TS can do, and arguably it has ensured you got your window seat by balancing that against aisle fans. But keep us posted, it would be interesting to see if 3A comes up, which it may to do if the aircraft fills up. 3C is presumably a Gold.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:49 am

OK, I guess that may open up a bit in the next few hours, though you will know as well as anyone that on a full flight there is a limit to what TS can do, and arguably it has ensured you got your window seat by balancing that against aisle fans. But keep us posted, it would be interesting to see if 3A comes up, which it may to do if the aircraft fills up. 3C is presumably a Gold.
Sure, will do. Will print the boarding pass as late as possible, probably T-3 hours or so, just before I leave my house. Still no joy on seat availability other than 7F. Business class showing as sold out on BA website, so it looks pretty full as ATH-LHR usually is in CE at this time, but hope 1A, 3A or 5A pops up at some point!
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Sure, will do. Will print the boarding pass as late as possible, probably T-3 hours or so, just before I leave my house. Still no joy on seat availability other than 7F. Business class showing as sold out on BA website, so it looks pretty full as ATH-LHR usually is in CE at this time, but hope 1A, 3A or 5A pops up at some point!
Why not 'print' (download the boarding pass in the app) right at the last possible moment (just before security)? That's the way I normally deal with Euro Traveller flights.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by layz
Why not 'print' (download the boarding pass in the app) right at the last possible moment (just before security)? That's the way I normally deal with Euro Traveller flights.
It won't kick me out of CE or anything right? Am I 'checked-in' technically after choosing my seat but not printing the boarding pass?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
What is a blocked seat in Expertflyer?

Got the middle seat blocked for my ET flight in the exit row and the next CW flight shows a few seats blocked plus the bassinets. Only 1 available seat shown.

If en mass, are they seats that are destined to be filled but haven't been checked in for yet?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:08 am
Original Poster

It won't kick me out of CE or anything right? Am I 'checked-in' technically after choosing my seat but not printing the boarding pass?
It won't do that, as you say you are now officially checked-in. But personally I would download no later than 90 minutes beforehand, so that if there is a hardware / software glitch between your gizmo and the BA steam powered mainframes then you still have an opportunity to sort a paper alternative. On the other hand, you'll need the boarding pass to get airside and I imagine you will want a bit of time to check out the lounge(s).
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xenole
If en mass, are they seats that are destined to be filled but haven't been checked in for yet?
It's two things: blocked for status, which is the whole point of this thread, and blocked for incoming passengers who have a seat allocated internally, but who haven't checked in, been upgraded (where applicable) or paid for a seat yet. And of course this is a dynamic thing, every check-in, seat move, cancellation, irrop can have an impact here.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:14 am

It won't do that, as you say you are now officially checked-in. But personally I would download no later than 90 minutes beforehand, so that if there is a hardware / software glitch between your gizmo and the BA steam powered mainframes then you still have an opportunity to sort a paper alternative. On the other hand, you'll need the boarding pass to get airside and I imagine you will want a bit of time to check out the lounge(s).
Yes I plan on leaving the house 2 hours before the flight (ATH is a very easy airport) so I will just 'print' the boarding pass then. Mind you, the lounge in ATH is nothing to write about anyway so 30 mins in there is more than enough!
Just checked again, no seats showing whatsoever except the one I am sitting on!

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Mar 16, 2017 at 9:57 am
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:50 pm

Ok, seriously no joy on the TS. Trying to force me only 7F! I decided to take matters into my own hands and didn't print my boarding pass and head straight to the check-in counter as I was checking in my bag anyway. I asked what was available as I wanted to change my seat if possible, and they said, as expertflyer had said, that 1A and 3A was not occupied by anyone. So I chose 1A. Not bad for a blue!
Attached Images  
Old Mar 17, 2017, 12:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Sitting on my LHR-ARN flight at present.

Expertflyer shows 1C, 1D and 2D as blocked.
No idea if that's actually true even though all 3 seats are unoccupied as there are only 2 others in the 5 row cabin (row 2a/c as shown in EF).
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:43 am

I have been seat shifted three times in the last week or two.

I booked a Domestic prior to the introduction of CE on domestic routes. I paid for seat selection and selected an aisle seat on Row 1. After the announcement regarding the introduction of the business cabin I was moved to Row 7. I had anticipated that, so I moved to an aisle seat in Tow 4. Fair enough. At the weekend I checked my booking again. I had been moved to Row 5 for some reason. I changed my seat back to Row 4. Just checked again this morning and I'm back in a middle seat in Row 5. Everything else around me is blocked. First empty seat on the aisle is Row 9.

Last time I'd paid for a seat and was shifted I complained. I never got anywhere and gave up after a couple of emails because it was only 8.

Palmer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.