Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have hot towels been 'enhanced'?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
On a series of several CW and CE sectors taken within the last week, I was offered a towel every time, but always the very flimsy version.

IMHO they're of such poor quality that I question whether it's worth the bother of handing them out at all. In one case, even the 'hot' had been enhanced away and it was no better than half a sheet of damp kitchen roll (think I was in row 2 of CE on that occasion, so it's unlikely they were properly heated to begin with).
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by subject2load
In one case, even the 'hot' had been enhanced away and it was no better than half a sheet of damp kitchen roll (think I was in row 2 of CE on that occasion, so it's unlikely they were properly heated to begin with).
The towel itself is soon to be enhanced and passengers will be served with ambient hotness.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Some
Thanks all, sounds like I just got unlucky, the crews were both otherwise pretty good so wondered if they were gone.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: BA SILVER!! (After 7 years of trying...)
Flew back from PHL on Saturday night just gone and we got a cold towel instead. "We thought as it was so hot on board, you might prefer that...", said the CC member.

So, not that someone forgot to heat them, right?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
"Towels appropriate to the time of meal, or weather, or CC enthusiasm"?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
Just come from CE and received a chilled cold towel. Strangely refreshing.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC
Our service standards have not changed in any cabin with reference to hot towels, they are still to be delivered. However on short haul flights, the SCCM is free to decide to deliver them prior to take off (time permitting) particularly if it is a short flight, if there are high club loads or possibly if there is some form of ground delay.

I personally believe that many airports can be hot stuffy places, you may of rushed getting to the gate so it's a nice way to be welcomed with a refreshing towel. Jet my opinion though!

In terms of whether we deliver hot or cold towels, I have done both. Leaving excessively hot destinations or those where we know the airport may lack air conditioning, a cold towel maybe delivered. Again crew discretion, nothing to do with forgetting to heat up the water.

Regards
D1L
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:26 am

Door1Left - thanks for your comments & clarification.

I accept what you say as regards no change to service standards.

But - regardless of timing or the matter of hot or cold - what DOES need to change (and very soon) is the actual quality of the towels.

The current issue give every impression of the BA purchasing people going to a supplier and asking for the cheapest possible towel available. And then - when shown a sample of the flimsy things currently in use, saying "Yes.....that will do, we're ready to order " .......
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond IHG Spire ANEK Ferries Gold
Originally Posted by icegirl
I'm surprised the hot towel has not been totally enhanced away already or perhaps substituted for a wet wipe.

Take one and pass them on
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Physci
Hot towel received in CE yesterday but still the thin version.
same here last weekend

Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
Thin towels received in 2 x CE flights this week, both before drink/meal service. Find them very handy for cleaning the centre console!
Originally Posted by hugolover
Without the hot towel I wouldn't be able to clean the tray table and the area around my seat.
...and ditto to this too. The centre table was so sticky and filthy I cleaned the whole thing. CC did a double take when she saw the table all wet.

On another note, I hope hot towels don't completely disappear on hot days. I'd hate a cold towel.

Last edited by GadgetGal; Aug 25, 2016 at 11:11 am
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
1 x thicker hot towel returning from JFK last week. Much better than the old version. They were the last thing that the crew did before 'seats for landing please'. I think they were nearly forgotten completely....
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Footloose2
1 x thicker hot towel returning from JFK last week. Much better than the old version...............
Good to know. Hope to see one of these myself next time I'm on BA.

As mentioned earlier, those I was offered on a series of (very recent) CW and CE sectors really were very poor ; so much so, that I doubt they could have sourced a more flimsy product even if they had tried .....
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by GadgetGal

...and ditto to this too. The centre table was so sticky and filthy I cleaned the whole thing. CC did a double take when she saw the table all wet.
I usually do this too as the table is often stained. I once cleaned the window too on a Gatters 319 as it was so smeared. The passing CC thanked me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.