Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What would happen to a reward booking on HG if AB went to the wall?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond

It's hypothetical I know, but reading about airberlin's latest financial difficulties - currently not owning a single one of its planes, 'secret' talks with Lufthansa about certain routes, etc, etc. - I'm interested to know what would be the likely outcome of a BA reward booking if things went pear shaped. Would BA offer a reroute? Any likelihood of losing Avios?

Living near Vienna and with a stack of Avios to burn, which I'd preferable like to use towards NIKI flights (to the USA and Abu Dhabi), I'm a little concerned about the current situation. I certainly don't want to lose Avios, but I'm also worried about hotel bookings etc, etc.

I'd be grateful for your thoughts.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
I live close to an AB hub in Germany and haven't heard any of the rumours that you mention. If there are financial issues, I'd suggest that they are far from terminal. The airline is part owned by Etihad which gives them a very stable partner, and also consumer protection in your country is strong so even in the event of the airline going tits-up, I would suggest that you'll be protected. As normal have travel insurance in place - you have got travel insurance, haven't you?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

There were those of us who faced this very situation in 2012 when Malev ceased trading. BA provided protection to customers with tickets issued on BA stock - rerouting on BA or a refund.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-grounded.html
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Prospero
There were those of us who faced this very situation in 2012 when Malev ceased trading. BA provided protection to customers with tickets issued on BA stock - rerouting on BA or a refund.
Thank you Prospero, that is indeed reassuring to know.

Originally Posted by ptr120
I live close to an AB hub in Germany and haven't heard any of the rumours that you mention. If there are financial issues, I'd suggest that they are far from terminal. The airline is part owned by Etihad which gives them a very stable partner, and also consumer protection in your country is strong so even in the event of the airline going tits-up, I would suggest that you'll be protected. As normal have travel insurance in place - you have got travel insurance, haven't you?
Lots of stories circulating at the moment. Google 'air berlin' and select news for a few of them! Personally I don't believe Etihad will continue bailing them out forever.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
what happens to an avios booking if airberlin goes bankrupt?

A friend of mine wants to book an airberlin flight using avios but she is concerned what will happen if airberlin goes bankrupt before the flight? As she would have a contract with BAEC they should reaccomodate her or at least reimburse Avios+taxes or am I thinking wrong here?

Any ideas or experiences from what happend when Malev went bankrupt?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 1:11 pm
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by Flip42
A friend of mine wants to book an airberlin flight using avios but she is concerned what will happen if airberlin goes bankrupt before the flight? As she would have a contract with BAEC they should reaccomodate her or at least reimburse Avios+taxes or am I thinking wrong here?

Any ideas or experiences from what happend when Malev went bankrupt?
Recent thread addresses this: What would happen to a reward booking on HG if AB went to the wall?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 1:28 pm

Thank you.

Somehow I missed this thread.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
BA provided protection to customers with tickets issued on BA stock - rerouting on BA or a refund.
If they reroute on BA, will they demand BA's higher fees? (AB has very low fees and taxes on TATL flights.) Or will they just reroute without any change to price or amount of Avios needed?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 2:06 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Flip42
If they reroute on BA, will they demand BA's higher fees? (AB has very low fees and taxes on TATL flights.) Or will they just reroute without any change to price or amount of Avios needed?
It would need a precise policy to come out for this to be totally sure, but typically they'll offer a refund or a free re-route to somewhere nearby on BA's route network; there may be some routes where it's impractical to do much more than offer a refund. For Malév they didn't charge extra for any re-routing.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Somehow I hope they don't, because I have rather a lot of AB miles to use up!
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:34 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I think that AB would end up as part of Lufthansa. What would happen to the miles I cannot tell.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I think that AB would end up as part of Lufthansa. What would happen to the miles I cannot tell.
Well they did the Good Thing when they "rescued" Swissair (and me).

Different times though...
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:05 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE

May be issues around competition regarding that. Pity as OW needs a Germany partner.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't think it's likely in the short term. AB has made two big announcements recently, one greatly expanding their USA network, making some of it year round, adding extra daily services from DUS in particular, and other new routes have been added; secondly in Europe they are moving to a Buy on Board model plus a front row business class seating, in the style of Vueling. So the free drink and savoury/sweet snack option will go in Economy, raid the trolley in Business, along with the current process to pre-order paid-for hot meals in Economy. Not sure about the end of flight chocolate, I think that stays. Either way, an airline with severe problems wouldn't have focus in these areas, these changes are for the medium and long term.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by ptr120
As normal have travel insurance in place - you have got travel insurance, haven't you?
In the UK standard travel insurance doesn't cover airline failure but perhaps it is different in mainland Europe.

You can buy a specific Scheduled Airline Failure Insurance (SAFI) but where does it end? You can't insure everything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.