Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

S7 BAEC redemptions no longer available online.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum

Tried to book a reward flight on BA.COM for DME-LED and got the following message:

British Airways and its partners do not fly this route. Please consider alternative destinations or call your Executive Club Service Centre.
I then tried to call BA and was told that this is due to "high fraudulent avios usage" and that from now on all S7 awards have to be issued via the call centre. There is a thread on the Russian analog of FT (forum.awd.ru),where people report simmilar experiences too.

Ridiculuos.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi

I then tried to call BA and was told that this is due to "high fraudulent avios usage" and that from now on all S7 awards have to be issued via the call centre.
Great to hear that BA are doing something about this. Every single time you see someone reporting that their avios account has been compromised and all their avios have been spent, it's always on Russian flights, so it seems sensible to cut this avenue off as they can't ensure people protect their account better.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Airprox
Great to hear that BA are doing something about this. Every single time you see someone reporting that their avios account has been compromised and all their avios have been spent, it's always on Russian flights, so it seems sensible to cut this avenue off as they can't ensure people protect their account better.
How do you suggest people protect their account better? As far as I am aware, BA only allow you to enter a single password. The problem would appear to be that there is a way of getting into these accounts using brute force methods. At the end of the day, BA are the only ones that can protect the accounts better by requiring more sophisticated methods of authentication or better security around locking out accounts.

I have previously tried to change my password on BA to one that is 45 characters in length but it would appear that BA have some limit on the length and not just the minimum 6 characters that they state.

Last edited by strichener; Jul 12, 2016 at 11:23 am Reason: Password info
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
They should really have dual-phase authentication - a separate password to actually redeem rewards and faster lockout for bad passwords.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by strichener
How do you suggest people protect their account better? As far as I am aware, BA only allow you to enter a single password. The problem would appear to be that there is a way of getting into these accounts using brute force methods.
From what I've understood, the main cause is people using the same password on BA.com as in some other application, be it LinkedIn, an email account, Amazon or some other travel application. The latter is particularly easy if people leave their PNRs and/or BAEC numbers lying around. It's not really brute force any more, and there are now various blockers on that. I very much doubt people who have a dedicated password for BA, changed regularly, involving at least 12 characters (ideally more), upper and lower case, numbers and symbols, are the issue here.

Edit: BA don't unfortunately allow symbols/non alphabetic/numeric characters, but they do allow uppercase/lowercase.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jul 12, 2016 at 11:57 am
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Airprox
Same is happening with CX and a lot of their awards being blocked.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
From what I've understood, the main cause is people using the same password on BA.com as in some other application, be it LinkedIn, an email account, Amazon or some other travel application. The latter is particularly easy if people leave their PNRs and/or BAEC numbers lying around. It's not really brute force any more, and there are now various blockers on that. I very much doubt people who have a dedicated password for BA, changed regularly, involving at least 12 characters (ideally more), upper and lower case, numbers and symbols, are the issue here.

Edit: BA don't unfortunately allow symbols/non alphabetic/numeric characters, but they do allow uppercase/lowercase.
The point being made was that BA cannot ensure that people protect their accounts. Some things that could be done:

1. Allow extended characters in passwords.
2. Force passwords to be changed on a regular basis.
3. Increase the minimum and maximum length of passwords.
4. Use two factor authentication.
5. Periodically send a access code during the login process.

Just off the top of my head.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
Tried to book a reward flight on BA.COM for DME-LED and got the following message:

I then tried to call BA and was told that this is due to "high fraudulent avios usage" and that from now on all S7 awards have to be issued via the call centre. There is a thread on the Russian analog of FT (forum.awd.ru),where people report simmilar experiences too.

Ridiculuos.
Not sure what is ridiculous really? There is a lot of Russian based hacking going on and the spend is on Russian centric awards.

I use DME to various Russian cities redemptions and apprieciate the extra validation I go through to spend on these routes. The availability is the same but they do a Q&A validation that you are really you to protect you and your account.

I guess you would prefer that BA did nothing and then suspended your account for potential fraud instead of validating you are you..

Oh well each to their own.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:24 pm

BA should do what the Financial services do with their clients. One password for logging in and another for actually using avios.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calum
BA should do what the Financial services do with their clients. One password for logging in and another for actually using avios.
They should,but obviously easier to just block all the award is not it?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
WOW!

Looks like its not just CX its now S7 as well!

CX and BA previously jointly blocked close in redemption between HKG and China and Taiwan, because of improper use of the system...

Here is the thread that focuses on this matter:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...departure.html
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA
Interesting, thanks for the info. I was trying to do this earlier today and wondered why the flights weren't available!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
is there any way of searching Avios availability on S7 online before calling the Customer Service Centre to book?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by strichener
The point being made was that BA cannot ensure that people protect their accounts. Some things that could be done:

1. Allow extended characters in passwords.
2. Force passwords to be changed on a regular basis.
3. Increase the minimum and maximum length of passwords.
4. Use two factor authentication.
5. Periodically send a access code during the login process.

Just off the top of my head.
Whilst I don't disagree that more can be done regarding password security, things like 2 factor authentication effects 100% of BAEC users, whilst S7 redemptions are less than 1% of 1% of all tickets sold on BA.com. Whilst frustrating for you, it has minimal impact on the majority of BAEC users - whilst still allowing S7 tickets to be purchased via the call centre.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by silonic
Whilst I don't disagree that more can be done regarding password security, things like 2 factor authentication effects 100% of BAEC users, whilst S7 redemptions are less than 1% of 1% of all tickets sold on BA.com. Whilst frustrating for you, it has minimum impact and on the majority of BAEC users - whilst still allowing S7 tickets to be purchased via the call centre.
+1. I was moaning today about the incredibly annoying Captcha which now refreshes pictures after you've clicked on them. It's like a computer game which refuses to let you complete a level.

The fact is OTT security for everyday functionality drives people nuts. If making people book S7 redemptions over the phone helps solve a specific issue, I'm all for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.