Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time at LBA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
How easy is it to get to B? I've been to L but might be temped to make another trip
The problem for me was always that the airport was not very conveniently connected to anywhere by public transport. Maybe that has changed.

I would strongly advise against Arrow---they were literally twice the price of the company I used to use from York.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
The problem for me was always that the airport was not very conveniently connected to anywhere by public transport. Maybe that has changed.

I would strongly advise against Arrow---they were literally twice the price of the company I used to use from York.

Sadly nothing has changed. I do use LBA on occasion, but since moving from North Leeds to East (of) Leeds we have found getting the train to Leeds Station and same platform change to MAN to be much easier. There has been eternal talk of improvements/trolleybus/tram/heavy rail connections to LBA, but no real movement has been made. It seems to be continually scuppered by various economic downturns.

Also counting against the LBA route are that the timings are relatively poor and infrequent for onwards connections and the glacial pace of baggage handling - so much so that MAN is a more convenient option, despite being 3 times as far. The train also means full advantage can be taken of the introduction of Club Europe to domestic flights.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
Getting to B by public transport is by bus only. There is a direct and frequent bus to Leeds city centre and to Bradford. Some information here http://www.flyingtigerbus.co.uk/

Other than that you can use the official airport taxi firm Arrow, there is a booking kiosk opposite the entrance to the airport - I have not found them cheap though. Or uber should be fine as well and I have used them.
Thanks ^ At £3.80 single and a half-hourly service I'm cool with the bus. Roll on the next CE sale and I'm there... cheap TPs and a weekend in Yorkshire
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Paid about £88 in S class for a return to LHR. 10TP each way and whatever Avios. Handy as a lot of the flights are in the normal O class for only 5TP each way.
Was offered £59 each way to CE so took it on the return (should have done it both ways really).
Still being offered up to when check in closed.
Maybe it's quieter at weekends so the deals are better? Half full flight with possibly 5 rows of CE occupied.

Morning flight was sold out even though Virgin were doing £5 fares to London on the train.

Nice enough airport. Just needs a lot of work as it's all over the place gate wise and it's narrow so it's switchbacks.
No worse than Humberside. That's 4 or 5 miles away from the train at Barnetby so not that practical unless you have your own transport. The bus that goes there is ok if you dont want early or late departures.

It's easier for me to drive 1h30 than get a train to say Doncaster, then another to Leeds and then the bus. Takes more than double the time and is very convoluted.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jordie
Karfa where is the short cut?
Originally Posted by xenole
I had a look just now and unless it's near gate 5 and the stairs / toilets, all that's the other way is the duty free shop, WHSmiths and a corridor leading into a bar across from the lounge.
So checking today it seems they have put a stop to that short cut sadly. When you come up the escalator/stairs from security there are some full length glass doors on your right with the new Saltaire bar extension behind. When the extension first opened those doors were open so you could go in, go right and emerge opposite the lounge entrance thereby avoiding the longer walk via the duty free shop. Seems those glass doors are now firmly shut and do not look like they would be reopened.

Last edited by KARFA; Jul 31, 2017 at 6:15 am
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by xenole

It's easier for me to drive 1h30 than get a train to say Doncaster, then another to Leeds and then the bus. Takes more than double the time and is very convoluted.
Wow, and I thought the 40 minute drive I sometimes do to LBA to get a flight to London rather than the train was insane!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Do they still give out HEX tickets?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by GadgetGal
Do they still give out HEX tickets?
Sadly not. I think the last time that promotion ran was 2015.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:08 am

On the few occasions I've been to LBA I've found KARFA's taxis most convenient
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:05 am

Flying out of LBA on the 12/8 on BA1341 @ 0930 and wondering;

Will the lounge be busy? ( would rather avoid the stella swiggers!)
Flying Club do you get fast track security?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by fleagle

The Yorkshire Premier Lounge doesn't attract "stella swiggers!"- far too refined.

Yes to fast track- which tends to be very fast
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:15 am

All Ba passenger get fast track at LBA, it's not just status or business.

On a Saturday morning both the airport and the lounge won't be too busy. In terms of the lounge there are two parts either side of reception. The right hand side is where they send families and those with paid access. The left hand side is more a quieter side and generally they will advise BA/KL passengers to go there. Stick to the left hand side if you want to have some quiet time.

Last edited by KARFA; Jul 31, 2017 at 11:24 am
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:21 am

Thanks,
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond

If you go into the "for business" side of the lounge on the left you shouldn't have an issue, I've never struggled to find a seat.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:53 am

Just come from the lounge now and never seen it so quiet. Can't have been more than 15 people in there.

BA1345 also very quiet with fewer than 40 pax. Hopefully the inbound 1344 will have been busier, to justify the service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.