FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   First time at LBA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1772610-first-time-lba.html)

Fitch Jun 16, 2016 11:58 am

First time at LBA

As luck would have it, I am passing through LBA next week (last flight to London).

Any tips for that particular station ?

I will be checking a bag and won't be drinking :( due to collecting a hire car at T5 on arrival.

nufnuf77 Jun 16, 2016 12:03 pm

I know nothing about LBA, but am sure our resident expert KARFA will be along shortly to advise on all matters LBA and Leeds related :)

KARFA Jun 16, 2016 6:23 pm

Any specific issue you need tips on?

When you enter the airport check in/bag drop is left turn and to the right hand side of the check in hall. Use fast track security. Lounge is perfectly fine and use the left hand side (right hand side is mainly for families but may already be closed by the time you get there in the evening). Gate is 8 and is announced 30 mins before departure when boarding begins.

Fitch Jun 22, 2016 6:51 am

Well, I'm sitting in a meeting at Leeds Valley Park keeping an eye on the app.

BA seem to have subbed the equipment for this service (from G-EUOE to G-EUPR, after the former got horribly delayed earlier in the day operating DUS and ZRH) and as a result clawed back the forecast delay from 55 to 25 minutes.

Given that they cancelled the first LBA-LHR of the day, I hope there are no last minute seat shenanigans :rolleyes:

Wish me luck !

KARFA Jun 22, 2016 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Fitch (Post 26814491)
Well, I'm sitting in a meeting at Leeds Valley Park keeping an eye on the app.

BA seem to have subbed the equipment for this service (from G-EUOE to G-EUPR, after the former got horribly delayed earlier in the day operating DUS and ZRH) and as a result clawed back the forecast delay from 55 to 25 minutes.

Given that they cancelled the first LBA-LHR of the day, I hope there are no last minute seat shenanigans :rolleyes:

Wish me luck !

Jesus, not G-EUPR! That plane seems to be tied to the LBA route. Have been on it about 5 times on that route within the last month or so.

Anyway, your seat shouldn't be affected. I saw that the BA1340/1341 rotation was cancelled but anyone rebooked on to BA1343 should just be put in currently empty seats rather than a wholesale reorganisation of the cabin. It is unlikely many will be rebooked on to BA1345 which is the one you are on later today.

corporate-wage-slave Jun 22, 2016 7:01 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 26814506)
Jesus, not G-EUPR! That plane seems to be tied to the LBA route. Have been on it about 5 times on that route within the last month or so.

I guess it makes it easier to set up Club Yorkshire if they don't keep mucking 'bat t' rigs.

KARFA Jun 22, 2016 8:27 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 26814534)
I guess it makes it easier to set up Club Yorkshire if they don't keep mucking 'bat t' rigs.

Ah, good point. Easier to maintain the Club Yorkshire config permanently on one aircraft.

Also Fitch before I forget please remember to ask for your free HEX return ticket from lounge reception as well.

Fitch Jun 22, 2016 11:53 am

Well, looking out of the window it seems we have the pleasure ov G-EUPJ this evening :)

Third frame lucky I suppose !

Thanks KARFA for the free HEX ticket tip - I have it in my pocket now...

xenole Jun 5, 2017 5:28 am

I flew into LBA on Saturday.
Must have landed around the same time as a charter flight or two as loads of holidaymakers exiting as well. Surprised customs weren't there to try and catch cigarette smugglers, unless it was the wrong sort of flight / where it came from.

Caught the 757 bus to the city for £3.80. Had to wait a minute for the doors to open.
About 4 people on it and we picked up a couple more en-route.
Got off at the city square area, about 2 mins from the train station (right in front of you).
Nice route what with all the stone houses, parks, pubs, cafes etc. but a bit away from the city (7 miles? but seems further).

Need to try leaving from it sometime but it's nowhere near as good accessibility wise as NCL or MAN to be honest. They wanted £15.30 for a single from Leeds-Doncaster (30 mins or so) as well on the train (£5 the day before from Leeds-London).

KARFA Jun 5, 2017 6:38 am

Originally Posted by xenole (Post 28404147)
I flew into LBA on Saturday.
Must have landed around the same time as a charter flight or two as loads of holidaymakers exiting as well. Surprised customs weren't there to try and catch cigarette smugglers, unless it was the wrong sort of flight / where it came from.

Caught the 757 bus to the city for £3.80. Had to wait a minute for the doors to open.
About 4 people on it and we picked up a couple more en-route.
Got off at the city square area, about 2 mins from the train station (right in front of you).
Nice route what with all the stone houses, parks, pubs, cafes etc. but a bit away from the city (7 miles? but seems further).

Need to try leaving from it sometime but it's nowhere near as good accessibility wise as NCL or MAN to be honest. They wanted £15.30 for a single from Leeds-Doncaster (30 mins or so) as well on the train (£5 the day before from Leeds-London).

The accessibility of the airport is not great compared to MAN - I luckily live on the north side of the city around the ring road so can drive to the airport in 15 minutes on a good day. If you live on the southern side of the city or in places like Wakefield or Huddersfield getting to MAN would be quicker at non peak M62 hours.

However, having done more than my usual amount of flights in to and out of MAN this year I would still rate the overall experience at LBA better than MAN.

xenole Jun 9, 2017 1:46 am

Possibly looking at flying from LBA tomorrow.

If I catch a bus from the train station between 7-8am, and get to the airport before 8:30 for the 9:40am flight, is this fine? Hand luggage and will check-in online.

KARFA Jun 9, 2017 1:49 am

Originally Posted by xenole (Post 28421568)
Possibly looking at flying from LBA tomorrow.

If I catch a bus from the train station between 7-8am, and get to the airport before 8:30 for the 9:40am flight, is this fine? Hand luggage and will check-in online.

Yes that's plenty of time. Traffic
shouldn't be an issue at that time tomorrow morning so unlikely to be delays heading to the airport. Once at the airport should be less than 5 mins from stepping off the bus to airside. Boarding won't start until 0910.

xenole Jul 22, 2017 6:19 am

Taking my first flight from LBA right now.
Found the fast track lane as I remembered where it was from a video that I watched yesterday.
Only person in the queue and a handful on the other side.
Minute or two wait to go through the metal detector and then the walk through the duty free areas to the Premier Yorkshire Lounge.

Smaller than expected.
Normal side pretty full with families (lots of people off somewhere today as quite a few queues and eateries are quite busy).
Food seems to be baked potatoes with cheese etc., bread, cakes, crisps and some fruit.

Business side, as expected, has no natural light but only a couple of dozen people in here. Found a power socket hidden down the side of a chair.
Same sort of food with tomato soup, scones, flapjack etc. and bottles of Magners, Becks etc. Few bottles of spirits as well.
Shame there's no pork pie as I read about that in a review and was looking forward to a slice or two ;)

Very northern place compared to LHR and even Manchester to be honest (accents, mannerisms and so on) and far friendlier staff.

No issues parking in the short stay car park although spaces are narrow and not helped by a few wider vehicles.

KARFA Jul 22, 2017 6:38 am

And did you found the new short cut between security and the gate area which means you don't go through th duty free shop? If not then it's something to look forward to finding next time ;)

xenole Jul 22, 2017 6:40 am

I just followed everyone through the police checkpoint and up the stairs to the food areas. Then followed the sign for the lounge.
Got plenty of time so could wander back to try and find it ;)

Added: lounge filling up a lot now.