Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) Beginner's Guide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Original Routing Credit (ORC) Beginner's Guide

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GavT_london
Any idea how long it takes for BA to contact AA and get a resolution? I submitted a PDF of my AA itinerary on 4th July via the website. I tried to call today but gave up after 30mins in a queue on silver line.
Don't waste your time. Drop a PM to BAmissingavios on FT...
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Dylanks, thank you for starting this thread, as it was very helpful for chasing down missing tier points. (More importantly, it also counts as one of the two/four precious BA segments needed to trigger status.)

It only (cough) took 45 minutes on the phone, three different phone agents, and then one week of waiting for the TPs and missing Avios to post. Of course my traveling companion, on the same PNR and which was clearly visible to all the agents as we spoke, had to call in separately to request his missing TPs...
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Don't waste your time. Drop a PM to BAmissingavios on FT...
Thanks Craig - that worked a treat - PM Sent, replied overnight and miles and TP already showing....beats hanging on the telephone for 30mins and getting nowhere!
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Originally Posted by dylanks
Writing a letter

I generally prefer writing a letter instead of a call, especially in the case of a more complex disruption. I would write something like this:

You should of course customize this into your own writing style, as most of you are probably not Americans.

Send the email to general BA email (or GGL email if you have this status).
A few weeks ago I had some IRROPS with AA which resulted in me losing 60 TP and some Avios. When I wrote a email via ba.com I just received this response:

Dear Mr Flip42

Thank you for writing to the Club about enquiring your Avios and Tier points query.

Members need to actually travel on the flight sector to be able to collect Avios and Tier Points for it. We're unable to credit your account with it.

I'm so sorry to disappoint you.

Kind regards
XXX
British Airways Executive Club
I then PMed BAMissingAvios which resulted in me getting ORC within less than a week. We are very lucky to have those BA representatives here on FT. ^

Last edited by Flip42; Aug 4, 2016 at 4:37 am
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:11 am

To BA/AA's credit, I was delayed on a flight back from LAX to LHR on Sunday night, such that I missed the last leg to Dublin.

I received all the TPs and Avios for the last leg without even asking. It was AA booking, BA metal.

The check-in agent in LAX couldn't understand why I wasn't remotely upset that she couldn't get me to Dublin that night (the flight was already known to be delayed), and thought it was very odd that I was fine to cancel the last flight without any fuss...
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
If IRROPS cause you to increase your tier points/ avios, do you get ORC or the route actually flown?

AA metal with BA FF#, LHR> ORD turned into LHR> RFD> ORD.

Stuck on the plane for 2 hours at RFD for refuelling, particularly annoying as I would have happily ended the trip at RFD but wasn't allowed to leave the plane.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by bluemoon68
If IRROPS cause you to increase your tier points/ avios, do you get ORC or the route actually flown?

AA metal with BA FF#, LHR> ORD turned into LHR> RFD> ORD.

Stuck on the plane for 2 hours at RFD for refuelling, particularly annoying as I would have happily ended the trip at RFD but wasn't allowed to leave the plane.
If you haven't left the plane you'd get and will probably only get the miles and points for the original route.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
If the TPs and avios credit for your amended routing I would suggest not requesting ORC in that case.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
We once had a refulling stop at ORD during our BOS-LAX. Of course TPs and Avios for BOS-LAX were credited.

(One person managed to escape the plane. Was chased down and brought back.)
Old Dec 17, 2016, 11:13 am

Figured I would quickly confirm that my most recent ORC worked as it should. A quick summary:
  • was scheduled to fly DCA-PHL-PHX
  • upon checkin at the lounge at DCA, was pro-actively rerouted DCA-STL-PHX as PHL-PHX was showing a lengthy delay (2+ hours)
  • had some issues with the seat on AA, so asked them to verify that ORC would be applied, they confirmed they have a process with BA and it would not be an issue since I made a booking and was rerouted due to IRROPS
  • made an online request with all relevant details after DCA-STL-PHX posted, received an email from the GGL the next day (convenient how a general request gets rerouted to them!) letting me know that the request was in process, and that it could take up to 28 days
  • had another discussion with the GGL list on another topic and asked about it. I was told that AA has 20 days to respond before BA can ask again
  • in day 19, the tier points in my account were updated with ORC

While there are no guarantees in life, my experience is that ORC on AA seems to be reasonably credited to BAEC when the routing changes due to AA and a bit of polite persistence. That seems fair as you should receive for the route you paid for and attempted to fly. The case where it would not happen is when you request a different routing for your convenience.

I'm still puzzled why several others seem to not have similar experiences, unless this is a relatively new improvement by AA.
I'm currently at PHX with a new routing due to the winter storm happening right now. YUP fare on AA, AA ticket, original route TUS-PHX-PHL-DCA. Changed PHX-PHL-DCA to PHX-DCA, but in P class. So, is it better to send an email as you have done, or should I use the FT handle of BAmissingavios? 270 vs 60 TP's is a big difference.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
This Aug. 1 booked a CX+KA flights from TPE-HKG-PEK and first flight was cancelled due to Typhoon. CX agent in TPE airport rebooked me to a BR direct flight from TPE to PEK.

Sent an email to BAEC twice to request for ORC after Aug. 13. Finally posted to my BAEC account on Sep. 14.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by headinclouds
I'm currently at PHX with a new routing due to the winter storm happening right now. YUP fare on AA, AA ticket, original route TUS-PHX-PHL-DCA. Changed PHX-PHL-DCA to PHX-DCA, but in P class. So, is it better to send an email as you have done, or should I use the FT handle of BAmissingavios? 270 vs 60 TP's is a big difference.
I would start with the form and nudge BAmissingavios only if that's not successful. And you're leaving PHX on one of our colder days of the year! PHX-PHL-DCA/BWI is a common route for me as well.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:14 am

Thanks to dylanks for creating this guide.

My family and I were originally booked on BA1385 MAN-LHR and then BA283 LHR-LAX during October. The 1385 was delayed due to a crew rest issue meaning we were unable to make the 283. The desk staff at Manchester looked after us and rebooked us onto the Virgin Atlantic afternoon service to LAX, VS23.

So after reading this guide it sounds like I can claim the Avios and TP for the missed BA283 by emailing BA. Would somebody kindly be able to confirm whether this is indeed the case as I'm struggling to understand why BA would credit Avios and TP for a flight I/we didn't take.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:50 am

I would start with the form and nudge BAmissingavios only if that's not successful. And you're leaving PHX on one of our colder days of the year! PHX-PHL-DCA/BWI is a common route for me as well.
But which form to use? There is a form to claim missing avios with BA and/or partner airline. Are those better than the general form in the link in post #1?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
^thanks too dylanks. just came accross this as gave FT a break for a bit.

Its useful to know that if AA ticket, in case of invol reroute, that its easier now to get the TP credited as booked.

I had a case a couple years back where it was a nightmare to get them back.

Since, then I have always declined reroute and just accept delays when it happens. Sometimes, you get a nice hotel !

But now that it is a lot easier, I certainly will not turn down a reroute as a matter of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.