Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) Beginner's Guide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Original Routing Credit (ORC) Beginner's Guide

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Why not start with a phone call to BAEC?
It's what I did when my AA flight was cancelled (sick pilot) on a BA booking and AA moved me to VS

I just phoned them up (Newcastle) told them what happened and gave the booking refs and in a couple of days the avios and TPs were in my BAEC account.

No letter or email required!
Indeed, i contacted bamissingavios on here and i got the original routing credit within 24 hours.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:27 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Just wanted to add my experience with CX with two different situations.

Was booked to fly CX in Premium Economy, but due to a technical problem at the last minute, was placed on a different flight that didn't have Premium Economy. I ended up receiving Economy mileage in BAEC. I contacted CX to have them send the appropriate message to BA so that the ORC would be received. They said they had already sent the correct mileage to BA. Therefore I sent my ticket details to BA, and BA was able to adjust the mileage credited to be for the correct premium economy credit.

In my other case, I was meant to fly KUL-HKG-SIN. The KUL-HKG flight was heavily delayed so I asked that CX route me directly KUL-SIN. They did this for me, on a non-one world carrier. I didn't receive any mileage at all for my flights. I wrote to CX and asked for the ORC, and then I received the mileage in my BA account a bit later.

So it seems for me that when dealing with CX flights, if the mileage has already credited to BA, but credited incorrectly the best thing to do is send documentation to BA and they will sort it out.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA,BAEC bronze
I was booked from SAN-PHX-CUN in F on AA when at departure time the plane to PHX went technical and I was rerouted to DFW in order to get me to the final deatination on the same day. SAN- DFW first class was full so sat in economy and the TP credited was 20 instead of the expected 60.
will return in a week and hope it is not too late to call BA for a ORC? Will I also have to call AA?
Old Jun 19, 2016, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by snapplefan
I was booked from SAN-PHX-CUN in F on AA when at departure time the plane to PHX went technical and I was rerouted to DFW in order to get me to the final deatination on the same day. SAN- DFW first class was full so sat in economy and the TP credited was 20 instead of the expected 60.
will return in a week and hope it is not too late to call BA for a ORC? Will I also have to call AA?
Your best option is to call or write to BA as noted in the first post. There's no benefit here in contacting AA, as the process is such that BA will contact AA on your behalf.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:16 pm

Thank you for all the valuable information you provided. I have tried emailing my ORC request from the BAEC website and every time I hit continue to send off my email it was in an endless loop and never submitted.
So I used the link to the general BA email you provided in your post and it finally accepted my entries and sent the email.
Now I am waiting to see what happens.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I just received an email from BAEC UK asking me to resubmit the whole ORC request via this link, which requires logging into your account.

http://www.ba.com/ecsupportingdocs

I sent through a PDF of my original e-ticket, which wasn't all that easy to generate from the AA email since I have no printer or scanner to hand.

I had originally emailed following the link in this thread.

Fingers crossed. I only have 6 weeks left in my membership year and not much time in the States or Europe to do another run for the 270 TPs I missed out on due to IRROPs.

Last edited by craigthemif; Jun 22, 2016 at 3:07 pm
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
This is sort of the reverse situation - on a recent flight where 3 of us were flying back from Europe, we were rerouted because of strikes. It was an Avios RFS booking in CE. One of the party was awarded Avios and TP for the rerouted flights, but the other two were not.

Was this a fluke (in which case keep quiet as one of our group got lucky) or is is standard practice to award the points - after all, someone paid for the ticket?!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MrMutton
This is sort of the reverse situation - on a recent flight where 3 of us were flying back from Europe, we were rerouted because of strikes. It was an Avios RFS booking in CE. One of the party was awarded Avios and TP for the rerouted flights, but the other two were not.

Was this a fluke (in which case keep quiet as one of our group got lucky) or is is standard practice to award the points - after all, someone paid for the ticket?!
Sometimes agents re-issue award tickets in revenue classes during IRROPs - I'm sure some insider might know why, perhaps because it is just easier than trying to force open the award buckets on the new flights - but this is basically luck and something to keep quiet about.

I'm substantially more keen when I'm flying an award ticket on Airline A, but they ask me to fly Airline B because of overbooking. That almost always ends up in a revenue class and earns miles. ^
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:16 am

Success! My ORC was posted on my BAEC-account today
After sending the email I received a confirmation from BA advising me they're working on it and that could take up to 28 days. But it was all done in 10 days.
Considering that my year ends on 8July I was worried it would not post in time to earn my free upgrade.
All is well
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Congrats, and thanks for letting us know!

Originally Posted by snapplefan
Success! My ORC was posted on my BAEC-account today
After sending the email I received a confirmation from BA advising me they're working on it and that could take up to 28 days. But it was all done in 10 days.
Considering that my year ends on 8July I was worried it would not post in time to earn my free upgrade.
All is well
Old Jul 11, 2016, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After nearly three weeks, I finally received my ORC for an AA itinerary. I sent a PM to BAmissingavios on FT over the weekend and they were able to sort it out right away this morning since AA had replied to BA but nobody had gotten around to crediting the flights to my BAEC account. ^ to FT reps and a to BAEC back office.

This might just change my strategy for TP runs, since I'd previously experienced AA refusing to "pay" ORC. I often leave a bit more connection time to ensure delays don't screw up my delicate itineraries. But now it might be worth pushing the limits, hoping to get rerouted directly and save all those unnecessary hours in the air...
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Had an aborted trip to SFO via JFK & LAX. BA Ticket DUB originator. Go to JFK OK. Boarded AA117 to JFK in F and back away from gate. Sat on runway 3 hours and AA then said due to FAA regulations they needed to return to gate as they are fined if people complain they are kept stuck on the plane. Get back to gate and flight then cancelled. Got rebooked on direct AA 85 ( standby)in F - complained I needed a confirmed seat so given last seat on AA177. Both flights cancelled as pilots for AA177 out of time at 23.00. Impossible to now do itinerary as was due to fly back from SFO next day. Claim for missing avios & tier points made on return and refused as they say I am entitled to refund of unflown sectors

JFK-LAX
LAX-SFO
SFO-LAX
LAX-JFK

What is the rule (if any) re tier points and avios in this situation? . Should I stick out and argue. Need Tier points for GGL renewal.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by col747uk

What is the rule (if any) re tier points and avios in this situation? . Should I stick out and argue. Need Tier points for GGL renewal.
Sounds like a "trip in vain" rather than an "original routing credit". If you were crediting to AA, I'm sure I've read elsewhere - maybe on the popular LAX-PTY Premium Fare thread - that AA will credit bonus miles and provide a (partial) refund.

The problem is trying to get BA to credit. The issue I see is that, faced with being unable to get to SFO and back in time to get back to work (I assume) you decided to cut short your trip and stay in New York. The proactive nature of accepting a different itinerary / final destination tends to be an issue for later credit of ORC.

For example, there would have been less of an issue for ORC if you had grabbed the next direct JFK-SFO and asked to be put on a SFO-LHR-DUB to get back home.

I would keep trying though - as a GGL I would have thought the special call centre would have more flexibility.

Last edited by craigthemif; Jul 12, 2016 at 5:08 pm
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by col747uk
Had an aborted trip to SFO via JFK & LAX. BA Ticket DUB originator. Go to JFK OK. Boarded AA117 to JFK in F and back away from gate. Sat on runway 3 hours and AA then said due to FAA regulations they needed to return to gate as they are fined if people complain they are kept stuck on the plane. Get back to gate and flight then cancelled. Got rebooked on direct AA 85 ( standby)in F - complained I needed a confirmed seat so given last seat on AA177. Both flights cancelled as pilots for AA177 out of time at 23.00. Impossible to now do itinerary as was due to fly back from SFO next day. Claim for missing avios & tier points made on return and refused as they say I am entitled to refund of unflown sectors

JFK-LAX
LAX-SFO
SFO-LAX
LAX-JFK

I honestly don't know what is right in this case. I would make the argument that you wanted to fly this trip, that you booked it to help re-qualify, that IRROPS prevented you from completing all of the trip, and without these points you will lose GGL status, and see what the GGL line can do. I would hope that the GGL would award the tier points because you're GFL and GGL, but that probably requires some supervisor or manager level of approval, so do your best to clearly explain the issue.

Outside the case of the issue (and unfortunately of no help to you now but for anyone else reading this), I give the advice of exceeding the amount you need to retain status by 10%, so that you'll requalify even when things go wrong. I appreciate that this may feel about as useful right now as someone telling a passenger that missed a flight due to an accident on the road to get to the airport earlier.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by dylanks

AA and ORC

Note that I recently had IRROPS on AA, so I took this as an opportunity to ask AA for their stance on Original Routing Credit. I received what I consider to be a favorable response:
Any idea how long it takes for BA to contact AA and get a resolution? I submitted a PDF of my AA itinerary on 4th July via the website. I tried to call today but gave up after 30mins in a queue on silver line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.