Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (£15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by esledo
BA should not through check onto KLM if on separate tickets, even if on one PNR, as explained above in post #1800 .
If it's on one PNR, BA will check through. EDIT: Less clear, see following posts.

Last edited by gengar; Oct 16, 2018 at 1:23 pm
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by sxc
Anyway seems like everyone has a different opinion...
Fortunately, it's not a matter of opinion. The text in the thread wiki is taken directly from the official release from BA concerning the policy change: http://www.britishairways.com/assets...h-check-in.pdf
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in.
sxc and corporate-wage-slave like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by gengar
Fortunately, it's not a matter of opinion. The text in the thread wiki is taken directly from the official release from BA concerning the policy change: http://www.britishairways.com/assets...h-check-in.pdf
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in.
That policy you linked concerns only interlining onto oneworld carriers and does not apply here if interlining onto e.g. KLM.

BA policy has always (also before 01 Jun 2016) been not to interline onto other than oneworld carriers if on separate tickets.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by esledo
That policy you linked concerns only interlining onto oneworld carriers and does not apply here if interlining onto e.g. KLM.
There's absolutely nothing in the wording there to suggest your interpretation that the sentence in question only applies to OW. Additionally, a poster in this thread who is an LHR-based BA employee disagrees: post 1490
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
There's absolutely nothing in the wording there to suggest your interpretation that the sentence in question only applies to OW.
Remembering that much discussion has taken place in the specific context of oneworld-oneworld connections, and that through-checking from BA to non-oneworld on separate tickets was (IIRC) not permitted even before the oneworld policy change, at least some doubt is sown by this current Trade Support page:-
Connections for customers travelling on separate tickets

Customers travelling on separate tickets will only be accepted for through check-in (ie through-tickets) if they are in the same booking/PNR.

Customers travelling on separate tickets issued in separate bookings will not be accepted for through check-in, regardless of which carriers they are connecting on to, including British Airways or oneworld partners.

[Reformatted table, column 1:-]

Separate tickets issued in same booking: is check-in possible?

Ticket type: All British Airways 125 tickets: Yes

Ticket type: Combination of British Airways 125 and oneworld partner tickets: Yes

Ticket type: All oneworld tickets: Yes

Ticket type: Tickets issued by airlines with non-members of the oneworld alliance: No
esledo likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:22 am

Indeed, until the beginning of this year they also interlined with EK.

https://www.amadeusproductsblog.co.uk/british-airways-ba-emirates-ek-interline-agreement-termination/
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
There's absolutely nothing in the wording there to suggest your interpretation that the sentence in question only applies to OW. Additionally, a poster in this thread who is an LHR-based BA employee disagrees: post 1490
Through check-in of bags on separate tickets in the same PNR does only apply to OW. BA won't check in to non-OW airlines if the next flight is on a separate ticket.
esledo likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:23 pm

Looking at speedbirdclub, it may be correct that non-OW interlining is not allowed even when on the same PNR (this will be of specific interest to @sxc ): British Airways' Speedbird Club: Welcome to British Airways Speedbird Club

The relevant portions include a scenario not in the original press release:
oneWorld guidelines for separate tickets
  • Only customers with separate tickets issued in the same PNR will be accepted for through check-in
  • Customers must be transferring to/from a oneWorld partner
Interline journey on two ticket numbers in a single PNR/booking
LHR-DOH (BA) - Ticket 1
DOH-BKK (QR) - Ticket 2
Single PNR: AB12CD Yes

​Interline journey on two ticket numbers in a single PNR/booking
LHR-SIN (BA) - Ticket 1
SIN-BKK (SQ) - Ticket 2
Single PNR: AB12CD No
Note again, however, that post 1490 in this thread from @ThisIsntOM suggests a different policy.

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Remembering that much discussion has taken place in the specific context of oneworld-oneworld connections, and that through-checking from BA to non-oneworld on separate tickets was (IIRC) not permitted even before the oneworld policy change, at least some doubt is sown by this current Trade Support page:-
Actually, IMO much of the discussion in this thread wasn't about OW-OW connections - much of it (esp. pro-BA commentary that the only reason pax wouldn't buy through tickets is b/c they are cheap and trying to game the system) is complete nonsense if all along, BA has only allowed OW-OW interlining even under one PNR.

Last edited by gengar; Oct 16, 2018 at 1:45 pm
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, IMO much of the discussion in this thread wasn't about OW-OW connections - much of it (esp. pro-BA commentary that the only reason pax wouldn't buy through tickets is b/c they are cheap and trying to game the system) is complete nonsense if all along, BA has only allowed OW-OW interlining even under one PNR.
If you go back to the beginning of this thread, it was all about the surprise that you could no longer through-check OW-OW if you were on separate tickets. There was then rumour, later confirmed, that there had been a oneworld policy change that led to this effect.

Before then, BA would through-check to OW on separate tickets, but would not through-check to non-OW (see, for example, BA and Jet Blue and BA to AC interline on separate tickets which both date from just before the OW policy change).

That is the context that I referred to. That is why this thread focuses on OW-OW through-checking.

The question of separate tickets within one PNR only came to the fore because that became a permissible way under the new oneworld policy for through-checking across separate tickets. Hence the serious doubt - fuelled by the old Speedbird Club page you linked to and the current Trade Support page that I linked to - about whether BA will through-check to non-OW on separate tickets even if they are issued within the same PNR.

See these posts in this thread for illustrations:-
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:38 pm

Would be interested in the Community’s thoughts on this...

The JB signed with AA boasted of ‘benefits’ that would accrue to customers as a result of the joint venture, one of which was the results of greater co-operation in terms of customer handling. BUT slowly and surely BA has been chipping away at that, most notably through the lack of interlining baggage.

With that in mind, and given the news last week that the CMA has put BA on notice of investigation, would this be a worthy comment to raise with the said CMA for consideration?

(Just a thought... please stay respectful and don’t attack me if you don’t agree!)
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Confus
The JB signed with AA boasted of ‘benefits’ that would accrue to customers as a result of the joint venture, one of which was the results of greater co-operation in terms of customer handling. BUT slowly and surely BA has been chipping away at that, most notably through the lack of interlining baggage.

With that in mind, and given the news last week that the CMA has put BA on notice of investigation, would this be a worthy comment to raise with the said CMA for consideration?
My personal view: no.

I imagine that the CMA would, if anything, be interested in the customer handling benefits which are contractually provided. So, for example, being able to through-check bags to a greater number of destinations when flying on a single ticket would be a benefit that was promised as part of the JBA.

However, I would be surprised if the CMA were to get interested in non-contractual goodwill/concessionary policies like through-checking across separate tickets. This has nothing to do with the JBA because it's non-contractual and it probably did not feature as one of the promised customer handling benefits of the JBA.

In addition, the former OW --> OW through-checking also has nothing to do with the JBA for another completely separate reason: its ambit was world-wide and not limited to JBA routes. So I can't see how the CMA would be likely to get interested in something that was never linked to the JBA.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Couldn't follow all the posts here. Just checked in EWR > LHR and on a separate PNR had an Avios booking LHR> TXL.
No problem at all, checking my bags all the way to TXL.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by nilsfr69
Couldn't follow all the posts here. Just checked in EWR > LHR and on a separate PNR had an Avios booking LHR> TXL.
No problem at all, checking my bags all the way to TXL.
It's lovely when it works out but one cannot count on it. I've had them tell me "No." when checking into CW and then go ahead and do it when I AUP up to first for the same flight. If you can't consistently anticipate it, it doesn't help you out when trying to plan for a connection. I wish they'd change this policy.
LTN Phobia and Calchas like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:24 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by JayeJ
I wish they'd change this policy.
I can understand them not wanting to do it (extra costs of potential misconnected bags etc.).

However, I would like them to do it for £100 extra. I'd be happy to pay it in many cases.

I think BA should see it as a money-making opportunity and offer an "upsell" here.
percysmith and JayeJ like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I can understand them not wanting to do it (extra costs of potential misconnected bags etc.).

However, I would like them to do it for £100 extra. I'd be happy to pay it in many cases.

I think BA should see it as a money-making opportunity and offer an "upsell" here.
They do already - it's called a single PNR ticket
argonath likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.