Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (£15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:39 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Lefly
Thank you!
I would be very happy for this as it would make my next year KA->BA transit more smooth.
Really strange, it was to my knowlege, MH who started the degredation regards interlining , and then MH who backtracked first

give it another 6months and we'll hopefully be back to original no issues with interlining we used to all enjoy.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 7:32 am

Good to see CX doing this, although they frustrated me massively today. I'd booked CX HKG>BKK tomorrow night arriving at midnight with a 6am MH BKK>KUL, and a night in the airside Louis Tavern hotel. I'd completely forgotten CX didn't interlink any more (MH still do). Then it came back to me and I thought I'd double check. The CX agent was very insistent that there was no leeway whatsoever regardless of having OWE. I suggested she discuss it with her management and call me back if they wanted to keep their HK$5000 business, otherwise I'd probably cancel it. Obviously got know call back. Later in the day I found a direct AirAsia flight from SZX > KUL, and booked that (would have much preferred to stick with CX). Cancelled the CX and MH flights, then saw the posts about the reintroduction of interlining from "1st Jan 2016". Shame it was only announced later in the day or I would have just gone to HKG and kicked up a fuss referencing the 2016 date.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Jonrross
Good to see CX doing this, although they frustrated me massively today. I'd booked CX HKG>BKK tomorrow night arriving at midnight with a 6am MH BKK>KUL, and a night in the airside Louis Tavern hotel. I'd completely forgotten CX didn't interlink any more (MH still do). Then it came back to me and I thought I'd double check. The CX agent was very insistent that there was no leeway whatsoever regardless of having OWE. I suggested she discuss it with her management and call me back if they wanted to keep their HK$5000 business, otherwise I'd probably cancel it. Obviously got know call back. Later in the day I found a direct AirAsia flight from SZX > KUL, and booked that (would have much preferred to stick with CX). Cancelled the CX and MH flights, then saw the posts about the reintroduction of interlining from "1st Jan 2016". Shame it was only announced later in the day or I would have just gone to HKG and kicked up a fuss referencing the 2016 date.
Enjoy the cramped seats of Air Asia then !
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Gold,Hilton Diamond,Platinum Ambass,SPG Gold,Flying Blue Platinum,Club Carlson Gold
worked fine a few days ago for me 2 separate tickets TIA-LGW-JFK on BA then JFK-BOS on AA which i happened to miss. AA gave me drinks vouchers and put me on standby. At checkin ex TIA they linked both tickets as in both PNR's tagged luggage to BOS with collection in JFK.

So when they want to do it they can and it worked a treat so thanks BA and AA
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by thorba
worked fine a few days ago for me 2 separate tickets TIA-LGW-JFK on BA then JFK-BOS on AA which i happened to miss. AA gave me drinks vouchers and put me on standby. At checkin ex TIA they linked both tickets as in both PNR's tagged luggage to BOS with collection in JFK.

So when they want to do it they can and it worked a treat so thanks BA and AA
Were you on one ticket TIA-LGW-JFK then a separate ticket JFK-BOS? If so wouldn't you have collected luggage at JFK either way? Was anything baggage related accomplished by linking the PNR's? In this situation you would have been at AA's mercy rather than BA's since you missed an AA flight, correct?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Yes, you can drop your bags off just after clearing customs rather than dragging them to T8 and going to check-in there.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold,Hilton Diamond,Platinum Ambass,SPG Gold,Flying Blue Platinum,Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
Were you on one ticket TIA-LGW-JFK then a separate ticket JFK-BOS? If so wouldn't you have collected luggage at JFK either way? Was anything baggage related accomplished by linking the PNR's? In this situation you would have been at AA's mercy rather than BA's since you missed an AA flight, correct?
yes bag drop after customs much easier than trailing bags to the AA terminal
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by thorba
yes bag drop after customs much easier than trailing bags to the AA terminal
Ah, got it. Never transited JFK so certainly ignorant to it. Really intrigued if this is a one-off or a sign of better days ahead.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Just FYI, CX is reversing its policy and allowing check-through from CX/KA to its "airline partners" on separate bookings. It is warning that there is not necessarily reciprocal benefit from other airlines.

I wonder if BA will be "shamed" into following?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post27638488
I wonder if this is the 'embarrassing backtracking' for BA management that was mentioned in another thread a month or two back.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Time to protest!

For those of you who are travelling with carry-on only and travelling on two separate tickets, consider doing the following:

1. Ask at check in to have bag (keep in mind that your bag might get lost forever) checked through to final destination and get refused.

2. Have bag checked to intermediate point (last destination of first ticket).

3. Fail to claim bag at intermediate point and check in for next flight (second ticket). Tell agent when checking in that your bag from the previous flight didn't arrive in time for you to claim it at baggage claim and re-check it and file a claim (or wait until arriving at final destination to file a claim).

4. Carrier (BA) who initially checked the bag will have to send the bag to the final destination and have it delivered to your home/office/hotel.

If this happens enough, BA, like CX might reconsider as it would cost them less had they checked the bag through in the first place.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Or they could just hand it over to LHR lost property...
Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Indeed. A passenger just choosing not to collect luggage may well find that BA will not deliver it onwards.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Indeed. A passenger just choosing not to collect luggage may well find that BA will not deliver it onwards.
How can an airline prove the a passenger "choose not to collect luggage" vs. "unable to collect luggage"? What if the bag got picked up my mistake by another passenger (causing the passenger to not be able to pick it up in time to check in for the next flight) and then later put back on the baggage carousel after they realize the mistake?

What if a passenger decides to fly to LHR as their final destination and then takes the train to EDI which is his ultimate final destination and finds his bag missing on arrival at LHR? Will BA then deliver the bag to EDI or force the passenger to be without the bag during his stay and pick up the bag once he is back in LHR?

Unrelated note: I was once flying YVR-SFO on AC with an overnight in SFO and then SFO-ICN-HKG on SQ/CX (seperate ticket). Upon arrival at SFO, I waited and waited and my bag never came. I filed a lost luggage claim with AC and was told that as I will be travelling onwards from SFO the next day to constantly contact them with my updated address so they can deliver my bags (even if it meant delivering them to HKG).
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by daniellam
How can an airline prove the a passenger "choose not to collect luggage" vs. "unable to collect luggage"? What if the bag got picked up my mistake by another passenger (causing the passenger to not be able to pick it up in time to check in for the next flight) and then later put back on the baggage carousel after they realize the mistake?
They can't but the reality is that (a) airlines do know what aircraft the bag flew on, and which carousel they ended up on and (b) can see alternative bookings that passengers made and (c) can put two and two together. The layout at most, but not all, European airports prevents passengers from leaving the carousel and returning to them. The airline can then invite the passenger to return to DUS or DUB or whereever, at their own expense, to retrieve the bag.

Now having seen this for real, namely when a passenger with an onward connection kicked up a fuss at T5 and then went on to EDI, is that BA will probably be prepared to move the bag to EDI, but again it will be for the passenger to retrieve the bag from EDI and it may take several days to get there. The longer a bag stays in the system the more change of it being damaged or the contents pilfered.

Definitely not recommended and unnecessary if you either plan better or go hand baggage only.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
a recent true story of a colleague of mine in Hong Kong. He had a return BA ticket in J HKG-LHR for a 10-days business trip to UK. Once in London he had to do an urgent business trip to a couple of cities in Europe. He decided to make his flight back CDG-LHR coincide with his return LHR-HKG. Guess what, BA refused to through check his bag. Luckily his CDG flight was on time and he had enough time to claim his luggage and recheck it. He was not aware of the rule and had chosen BA (despite an inferior J product) for the very reason that it would make transfer in LHR easier.

In our side of the world, CX has always interlined on two separate PNRs if CX/KA to CX/KA. They briefly suspended interlining with other OW airlines (and many other airlines), but are restarting it as they realized that some of their business pax were really getting upset.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.