Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (£15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Originally Posted by GavT_london
I dont supposed you asked if you could just check it from LHR>HKG>SYD - as others have pointed out, its never been allowed to 'backtrack a bag thru the same airport (im sure there is a better term for this)

I have a similar situation coming up in Dec from BGO to SYD and was planning on checking the bag in at LHR just for the LHR>HKG>SYD sectors (they used to be able to hold the baggage until you came back, then you ask the lounge dragon or connections to release the bag)
Tried that unfortunately. Whilst that makes logical sense, apparently with FLY you can now only check bags where the ticket originates.

Pain really, isn't it?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
While I agree no one should act like a donkey, there is no reason that BA should not have coordinated its change in policy several weeks in advance with all its agents.
And more importantly - it's customers
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Cathay1101
Tried that unfortunately. Whilst that makes logical sense, apparently with FLY you can now only check bags where the ticket originates.

Pain really, isn't it?
To be clear, do you mean that you cannot (with FLY) check a bag at an intermediate point of a journey you have not yet started?

I would hope you can still check in a bag at any intermediate point on a journey when you have travelled all the previous segments, so if you travel BGO-LHR you can check in a bag before continuing on the same itinerary LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL for example.

Corollary: leave lots of time in your LHR connection to go to your car or left luggage to get your bag to recheck it.

Last edited by flatlander; Jun 14, 2016 at 7:27 am Reason: typo, had wrong start for second part of the journey
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: BA GGL
I feel like I already know the answer, but if I wanted to book LON-PAR and PAR-NYC on two separate tickets, do you think the Gold line would help me do it under the same PNR?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
It depends entirely on your fare construction. If you're in PAR for less than 24 hrs, that becomes a connection under most international fare construction rules, and putting the itinerary on one PNR, means the fare quote will be LON-NYC, even if treating PAR as a stopover would have dropped it.

Simlarly, if you're making a reward booking for one segment, you can't mix that with revenue fares in other segments of the same PNR.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by armouredant
I feel like I already know the answer, but if I wanted to book LON-PAR and PAR-NYC on two separate tickets, do you think the Gold line would help me do it under the same PNR?
They may well try to help.

But if your reason for doing this is a cheaper fare out of PAR with a short stay in PAR then you'll be charged a fare for LON-NYC with a transfer (or stopover, if the stay is over 24 hours), as well as UK APD for the long journey and so on.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold
Just called the BAEC Gold line as I have upcoming flights on different tickets and would be a very tight connection if I need to pick up luggage. The lady was just not aware of any policy changes and said I would be fine to check through. She recommended for me to go on time to the airport at it would be their discretion..

This is not helpful at all.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by WorldClub
Just called the BAEC Gold line as I have upcoming flights on different tickets and would be a very tight connection if I need to pick up luggage. The lady was just not aware of any policy changes and said I would be fine to check through. She recommended for me to go on time to the airport at it would be their discretion..

This is not helpful at all.
Do we think there will be any leeway for golds on this issue? I'm silver currently but will be back to gold by time i head to SYD for xmas which is my main problem flight (and mostly because BA cancelled a flight and moved me to a different one with a tighter connection at LHR)
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AC*SE
It depends entirely on your fare construction. If you're in PAR for less than 24 hrs, that becomes a connection under most international fare construction rules, and putting the itinerary on one PNR, means the fare quote will be LON-NYC, even if treating PAR as a stopover would have dropped it.
That could be the situation if you're buying the itinerary on one ticket*, but armouredant is talking about separate, unconnected tickets which happen to share a single PNR.

I doubt the Gold line will do this.

* Although, on one ticket, there's no reason a LON-PAR fare and a PAR-NYC fare could not be combined end-on-end to build this itinerary instead of a single LON-NYC fare, but it would be expensive
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by armouredant
Originally Posted by JAXBA
Ticketing two separate redemptions in one PNR wrapper is even more difficult and unlikely than the chances of two separate revenue tickets in one PNR:
  • *Two redemptions/one PNR is 99.9999% unlikely. Even if an agent was willing to do it, it just won't work, due to system limitations.
  • *Two revenue tickets via telephone/one PNR is slightly more realistic but system limitations still make it very unlikely. It would require a good amount of manual processing that agents just don't have the ability to do.
  • *Two revenue tickets via airport (or at least second via airport. Easy.
  • *Combination of redemption/revenue. No. You might have luck with adding revenue sectors to a redemption booking at an airport.
The existing system limitations are unlikely to be changed, BA has little reason to do so, others than for customer service reasons...
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Cathay1101

Pain really, isn't it?

Can we assume short-checking a bag for a long stopover (but <24hr) is not going to create issues???
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flatlander
To be clear, do you mean that you cannot (with FLY) check a bag at an intermediate point of a journey you have not yet started?
As mentioned in the FLY thread, this isn't a problem, it's fairly easy to do this.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dambus

Can we assume short-checking a bag for a long stopover (but <24hr) is not going to create issues???
Technically this remains easy for the agent to do, but some agents are under instructions to check to the destination.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Technically this remains easy for the agent to do, but some agents are under instructions to check to the destination.
I wonder if this new policy of only tagging "what's on the system" (from the BA pdf) means that short-checking will also become an impossibility.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:16 am

Two tickets in same PNR on revenue IATA fares are nearly always possible. Corporate travel agents often do this and 99% will show up on the day at check in also.That has also been my experience on bookings for my own travel where I had often even non Alliance in same PNR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.