Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (£15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 4:27 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Really infuriating experience that I hope get resolved ASAP. Personally I would at this stage leave it to QR, unless the bags were essential. Any clothes and gear you may need should be covered by travel insurance or the IATA lost/delayed baggage rules.

It is clearly BA:S fault, especially incompetent to not forward the bag that is still at LHR. What is happening to the bag at ARN is a different question. I saw about 30 bags standing at menzies T2 yesterday (BA handling agent at BA terminal), which is the likely location of the bag if BA has done absolutely nothing.
Old May 24, 2016, 5:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The Montreal Convention would apply to this and the airline would be liable to a max of, iirc, something like XDR 1100, though I believe the claim is against the final airline in the journey, regardless of who would think is at fault
Old May 24, 2016, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The Montreal Convention would apply to this and the airline would be liable to a max of, iirc, something like XDR 1100, though I believe the claim is against the final airline in the journey, regardless of who would think is at fault
First or last, at the option of the passenger, and if he knows who is actually responsible, that carrier as well.

Article 36.
3. As regards baggage or cargo, the passenger or consignor will have a right of action against the first carrier, and the passenger or consignee who is entitled to delivery will have a right of action against the last carrier, and further, each may take action against the carrier which performed the carriage during which the destruction, loss, damage or delay took place. These carriers will be jointly and severally liable to the passenger or to the consignor or consignee.
http://www.jus.uio.no/lm/air.carriag...l.1999/36.html
Old May 24, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
Certainly not limited to BA staff. A few years ago an EK check-in person tried to send my bags to DEN instead of DPS. Probably a good thing I caught that right away. No idea why the software didn't catch that error and actually printed the label.
The entry to interline/transfer bags on separate PNRs is a manual entry. The systems will only automatically route them if it is a through tickets and single PNR.

Learning three letter codes was lesson 1 in the days when staff were trained and encouraged to take a interest ( and pride) in the job they were doing.
Old May 24, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by skba1
What is happening to the bag at ARN is a different question. I saw about 30 bags standing at menzies T2 yesterday (BA handling agent at BA terminal), which is the likely location of the bag if BA has done absolutely nothing.
Menzies will get around to it in their own sweet time if their colleagues at OSL are anything to go by. The OSL team managed to stick my delayed bag on the EK OSL-DXB flight instead of sticking it in the BA plane (which was probably next to it) back to LHR
Old May 24, 2016, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by pjh981
I think I'm now being black-balled by BA. No response for over 24 hours to emails to YouFirst, or to two Tweets and DMs on Twitter.

Can a BA Exec Club rep on FT please now intervene and PM me with some information - whether good or bad?

6 days without baggage and no effective communication other than quoting an unpublished 'policy change' is not good enough
Has the BAEC representative been able to help?
Old May 24, 2016, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Has the BAEC representative been able to help?
Heard nothing from them and no response to PM.

However, QR have been great, A bag is now in Thailand, came off the BA9 in BKK yesterday - QR don't know for sure that it is mine as it came with no original tags or paperwork from BA - but from the description, we think it is. They're forwarding it to me via an internal flight and courier - hopefully an end is in sight
Old May 26, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
QR gate agent at DWC linked a QR DWC-DOH ticket to a separate BA DOH-LHR-ABZ ticket today with no problems to check my bag all the way through. Will be interesting to see if the rule changes in June.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: QFF
Every time I've had baggage issues, IAG has been involved.

I've had connections across tickets a few times. Mostly with AA-AA. The AA agents have always managed it, though some have been unsure they could.
Had a CDG-HEL-ARN with AY. The contract staff at CDG refused. When I got to HEL, AY staff said they should have.

Every time I've done it with IB-BA or BA-BA, they've either refused, computer had a heart attack or the bag got misplaced at LHR.
I've even had BA refuse to check through to flights on the same ticket.
Old May 26, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: Mucci (Chevalier de Sagesse), Betty Ford Alumnus, BA Gold, ScaryTeam Elite+
Live Interline Bag TR!!

Originally Posted by majoreyeswater
Similar issue last week checking in at F for CE LHR-OSL, then OSL-DOH-SIN-SYD.
On Friday I'm doing the reverse routing but QF on the SIN-SYD leg. I have a 55min connection at OSL and was considering not checking a bag but might give it a go just to see if I can!
Bag checked in by Qantas at SYD with no fuss. Alleged "3 stop limit" rule evaded by putting a second tag on for the OSL-LHR leg.

Unsurprising really - recently QR interlined a bag for me HKT/DOH/AMS // BHX - with the final leg on KLM. If this is a 'thing' I suspect it's a BA thing...
Old May 31, 2016, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
No problem through checking bags from QR onto BA on return journey.

Check-in agent in Bangkok said 'no problem' and pretty effortlessly checked two bags BKK - DOH - ARN - LHR.

he seemed to link the two PNRs by ticket numbers as well as flight number.

On boarding the BA flight for the final leg from ARN-LHR, the gate staff made a point of informing us that our bags were safely loaded. In LHR they were the first and sixth off the plane in baggage reclaim.

So, no issues interlining QR to BA on separate PNRs, the problems are all with getting BA in LHR to do the same. Having used QR on ex-EU at least half a dozen times, I've never had an issue with QR staff in outstations.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:47 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Has anyone who has had LHR not interline between different pnrs complained to BA about this? I would be interested in their reply.

I thought it was a clear "entitlement" that this was possible between one world carriers?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by pjh981
No problem through checking bags from QR onto BA on return journey.

Check-in agent in Bangkok said 'no problem' and pretty effortlessly checked two bags BKK - DOH - ARN - LHR.

he seemed to link the two PNRs by ticket numbers as well as flight number.

On boarding the BA flight for the final leg from ARN-LHR, the gate staff made a point of informing us that our bags were safely loaded. In LHR they were the first and sixth off the plane in baggage reclaim.

So, no issues interlining QR to BA on separate PNRs, the problems are all with getting BA in LHR to do the same. Having used QR on ex-EU at least half a dozen times, I've never had an issue with QR staff in outstations.
This thread is about from BA to other airlines.

You're talking about QR to BA ! QR will interline with anyone in their agreements, IMO.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:54 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

You're talking about QR to BA ! QR will interline with anyone in their agreements, IMO.
I'm sure he's just contrasting his experience in the reverse direction compared to London check in
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

I think he's quite entitled to comment given he's the original poster of the thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.