Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (£15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by BA Humbug
1. Back to back/turnarounds or LHR-xxx-LGW/LCY to get around minimum stay requirements
2. Second PNR for a tag flight [e.g., Caribbean routes]
3. ?
Depending on how BA view their sub-saharan franchisee with this policy, this is another scenario where it might apply. I quite frequently have 2 PNRs, one for Heathrow to Johannesburg then an RFS booking Johannesburg to Livingstone on Comair (which is of course only available on BA codes) purely due to how high the prices are around. Recently though I've ended all up on a single cash ticket PNR...
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have not been personally affected by this policy change (or not !) re BA-BA connections.

Nor am I usually the type to rant and rave and set fire to my Gold card on live TV etc. etc.

But ...

... I do feel deeply offended that someone in BA (probably fairly senior) read the business case for this change and conciously decided that the commercial benefits were worth the customer detriment.

To that person: is this who you really wanted to be ?
Old Jul 8, 2016, 6:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BA Humbug
3. ?
Sydney.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Just checked bag in at Manchester for LHR through to JNB. Two separate PNRs and was told it was fine as long as it was BA to BA.

She was having a moan about FLY though.....
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: AC 35K
Great to hear it's being allowed BA-BA again! Really didn't make much sense that it wasn't in the first place.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
For what it's worth, denied interlining of bags today by AA at PHX in the following scenario:

BA ticket 1: PHX-(AA flight #)-PHL-(BA codeshare on AA flight)-DUB
BA ticket 2: DUB-LCY

The agent tried to make it work, but said that their systems recently removed capabilities. He tried to join the tickets to through check the bag, but the computer kept rejecting his attempts. I didn't push the issue very much as I have a few hours in DUB, but figured I would share. Historically AA has been very good at interlining bags across tickets, so it's a bit disappointing.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Good news about it being allowed for BA-BA again, that was the most ridiculous decision so far as far as I'm concerned.
Very useful for me as I have several times landed back from holiday and connected straight onto a work flight.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by dylanks
For what it's worth, denied interlining of bags today by AA at PHX in the following scenario:

BA ticket 1: PHX-(AA flight #)-PHL-(BA codeshare on AA flight)-DUB
BA ticket 2: DUB-LCY

The agent tried to make it work, but said that their systems recently removed capabilities. He tried to join the tickets to through check the bag, but the computer kept rejecting his attempts. I didn't push the issue very much as I have a few hours in DUB, but figured I would share. Historically AA has been very good at interlining bags across tickets, so it's a bit disappointing.
This is a bit of an aside from the thread but: I recently through-checked AA-LA at SFO. The first agent was legacy US (using their GUI) and she just couldn't do it. She called over a colleague, who was legacy AA. The second agent switched to the native Sabre interface, and I had bag tags and boarding passes in 30 seconds.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by jamespvg
This is a bit of an aside from the thread but: I recently through-checked AA-LA at SFO. The first agent was legacy US (using their GUI) and she just couldn't do it. She called over a colleague, who was legacy AA. The second agent switched to the native Sabre interface, and I had bag tags and boarding passes in 30 seconds.
That thought entered my mind, though at PHX I think almost everyone is legacy US.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 12:48 pm

It's a shame they're not expanding it to IAG group flights e.g. BA-IB.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by dylanks
That thought entered my mind, though at PHX I think almost everyone is legacy US.
Hmm. Perhaps the LUS GUI is being "dumbed down".
Old Jul 9, 2016, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by flashware
It's a shame they're not expanding it to IAG group flights e.g. BA-IB.
Suggestion: They should extend it to all of Oneworld for a strategic advantage...
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by jamespvg
Hmm. Perhaps the LUS GUI is being "dumbed down".
It absolutely has been. Talking with the agent, it was almost like talking with a BA agent about FLY. He basically said they used to be able to provide customer service, now they can only do what the computer says and have to call for help with anything out of the ordinary.

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Suggestion: They should extend it to all of Oneworld for a strategic advantage...
That's a great idea!
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:31 pm
Shl

Programs: BA Gold/ Star Alliance Gold
How to add new ticket to existing PNR?

In the WiKi it is written, that you can add a new ticket to an existing PNR as long as it is not ticketed. From an operational perspective: Let's say I buy a ticket with Malaysia KUL-HKT online,can I then call BA to add this ticket to the existing LHR-KUL ticket? What would I have to provide to BA? Or can this only be done physically at a BA airport?
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Shl
Let's say I buy a ticket with Malaysia KUL-HKT online,can I then call BA to add this ticket to the existing LHR-KUL ticket? What would I have to provide to BA? Or can this only be done physically at a BA airport?
No that looks to me that you are merging existing tickets, which cannot be done. You could buy a ticket from BA to begin with and then later on ask them to amend that booking buy adding a KUL-HKT sector. Or buy it that way in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.