FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Gold Guest List beginner's guide (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1739436-gold-guest-list-beginners-guide.html)

LondonCanuck Oct 3, 2017 6:31 am

Originally Posted by mikebg (Post 28888075)
Last year I made a two silver nominations. One of them expires in May 2018 (call him Fred). My GGL year starts/ends 8th October. I should then get one gold and two silver nominations. If I don't noiminate Fred this time round (on October 9th) and nominate someone else instead. will Fred still keep his silver until May 2018, or will it immediately cease?

Fred will keep his nomination until his year ends, but there will be no soft landing to bronze (unless he has earned it). At least that had been my experience with my nominations

KARFA Oct 3, 2017 6:31 am

Originally Posted by mikebg (Post 28888075)
Last year I made a two silver nominations. One of them expires in May 2018 (call him Fred). My GGL year starts/ends 8th October. I should then get one gold and two silver nominations. If I don't noiminate Fred this time round (on October 9th) and nominate someone else instead. will Fred still keep his silver until May 2018, or will it immediately cease?

Fred's safe until May 2018.

Depending on timing you can have up to 2 golds and 4 silver card holders out there simultaneously all with status due to your partner nominations.

mikebg Oct 3, 2017 8:01 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 28888097)
Fred's safe until May 2018.

Depending on timing you can have up to 2 golds and 4 silver card holders out there simultaneously all with status due to your partner nominations.

Thanks! He will be very happy to make use of it on a flight in November!

goodison Oct 5, 2017 2:08 pm

I'm looking to use my joker and saw the text below on the first page of this thread:

In addition, it can be used with a GUF1 or GUF2 and/or with any of the two for one options such as the AMEX 2-4-1 or the Chase Travel Together coupon. Note that may not use Avios + GUF to upgrade two cabins of travel on a revenue ticket.

This seems to contradict the BA t's & C's which state:

[I]Gold Priority Reward may not be used in conjunction with Avios & Money, [ii] Gold Upgrade for One or Gold Upgrade for Two; or [iii] Avios for Upgrade or [iv] American Express Vouchers.

Did I miss something, e.g. it was a non-published benefit / act of goodwill or did this change in the July update perhaps?

Thanks!

wenzlydale Oct 5, 2017 3:21 pm

Apples and Pears

Originally Posted by goodison (Post 28898023)
I'm looking to use my joker and saw the text below on the first page of this thread:

In addition, it can be used with a GUF1 or GUF2 and/or with any of the two for one options such as the AMEX 2-4-1 or the Chase Travel Together coupon. Note that may not use Avios + GUF to upgrade two cabins of travel on a revenue ticket.

This seems to contradict the BA t's & C's which state:

[I]Gold Priority Reward may not be used in conjunction with Avios & Money, [ii] Gold Upgrade for One or Gold Upgrade for Two; or [iii] Avios for Upgrade or [iv] American Express Vouchers.

Did I miss something, e.g. it was a non-published benefit / act of goodwill or did this change in the July update perhaps?

Thanks!

Jumping in where others fear to tread or have got a life.

The ‘joker’ more correctly named GGL redemption is totally different to ‘Gold Priority Award’ which is the double avios redemption option only available for GCH. Isn’t it ?

goodison Oct 5, 2017 3:40 pm

You are right wenzlydale, brain fade on my part.

Is there a page with GGL redemption t's & c's? I couldn't find one and tried Lycosing and asking Jeeves.

Iamnotlost Oct 5, 2017 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by goodison (Post 28898330)

Is there a page with GGL redemption t's & c's? I couldn't find one and tried Lycosing and asking Jeeves.

The only thing I have seen is in some t&cs you can get at by clicking on the "view all GGL benefits" link on the welcome to your Executive Club page. That takes you to a page called Gold Guest List benefits. Right at the bottom of that page are some terms and conditions which refer to redemptions.

xenole Oct 10, 2017 8:17 am

Used my first Joker / GGL redemption today to open up a CW seat on a JFK-LHR flight and then used a GUF voucher that expires next month.
Checked online first then rang up to get things done.
Managed to get the BA connecting flights upgraded to CE as well. Normally they just do the transatlantic ones so a nice bonus.

Probably not as great as some people opening up F seats, but it works for me in this instance so I'm happy.

Took a little while over the phone and cost me around £97 so far better than the £280 I was charged last time I used one of my GUF vouchers.

golfmad Oct 10, 2017 9:57 am

Originally Posted by xenole (Post 28915317)

Took a little while over the phone and cost me around £97 so far better than the £280 I was charged last time I used one of my GUF vouchers.

Are you referring to an increase in taxes/fees? Otherwise I’m not sure what charges you mean. I would have thought the increase from WTP to CW would have been substantially higher?

Pilot37 Oct 10, 2017 11:01 am

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 28915766)
Are you referring to an increase in taxes/fees? Otherwise I’m not sure what charges you mean. I would have thought the increase from WTP to CW would have been substantially higher?

Depends on where the OP was starting from. The YQ on WT+ to CW upgrades varies by starting location. I usually pay around £110 (round trip) for a WT+ to CW upgrade starting from DUS to the U.S., while a similar upgrade starting from ARN was only £25 or so. Definitely worth pricing up your destinations from a few locations, as a few £’s cheaper from starting point A can be wiped out over starting point B if the YQ is double!

Pilot37

xenole Oct 10, 2017 11:29 am

It was from GOT this time, DUS for the expensive one and I think Sweden again for the cheapest one.
The agent on the phone did mention there was an increase in taxes/charges/fees or whatever you want to call it.
Still, £97 isn't that bad considering it's £89 for a one way POUG LHR-GOT.

jason8612 Oct 10, 2017 2:46 pm

Hmm renewed my ggl and account reset a few days ago but haven't gotten the gold and silver cards to nominate. Is it still done online or does one need to call in? Or do I need to wait a few more days for it to be added?

BA6501 Oct 10, 2017 3:57 pm

It takes a couple of days. No need to call in, they won't see them either.

Pilot37 Oct 13, 2017 8:23 pm

Not a moaning/ranting post, and certainly not one which is asking for X avios as compensation, but merely a view on how status can help!
Boarded my flight this afternoon at LHR, was in CW so got myself settled and waited, waited, waited. No drink offer, no wash bag offer, no menu offer, no screen pull out for the safety video (I left that closed as a test after sitting for 20mins with none of the other items offered). Eventually during taxi and about 2mins into the safety video somebody came and pulled it out, so I prepared myself for a poor crew and settled in for take-off. Very shortly after wheels up, the CSM pops his head around to say hi and check everything is ok, and I decide to not do the British/Irish thing and say it’s fine, but I politely explain he’s basically the first contact I’ve had with the crew since the door entrance. Cue a large flute of LSPG and a First wash bag and one of the most attentive crews i’ve had in a while, all done with a smile and a genuine interest in the pax. Some may say i’m being snobbish, but I’ll have over 150K miles clocked with BA this year, so to experience such a great crew (after a stuttering start) was a pleasure and I did note the extra effort made for a status pax. Not BA’s slogan I know - but after a hectic few weeks with work - every little helps!

Pilot37

hsmall Oct 27, 2017 7:57 am

Owing to a domestic emergency (now satisfactorily resolved) my husband and I had to get back to London from Hong Kong last night. I decided to use a joker. I was however told that a gold guest list redemption reward was not available for those flying within 24 hours. I was forced to use cash. Yuk.

I can find nothing in the Tc & Cs saying this, although I suppose the loose wording on availability could cover it.

Anyone with any experiences of this?

Thanks.