FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Gold Guest List beginner's guide (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1739436-gold-guest-list-beginners-guide.html)

abligh Jan 19, 2020 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks (Post 31970196)
Well, yes, that's the whole point.
Above is pointing out that there's also some discretion if the applicable fare bucket isn't available... Never seen it acted upon, though, including three of my own requests.

I've had the GGL line claim they were opening up a fare bucket that wasn't otherwise available for a GUF. That's not what I understood from EF, but it might have been a POS thing. It did take 25 mins on hold.

HPN-HRL Jan 27, 2020 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Jase76 (Post 31969887)
A class is also back on DXB, at least from April.

Thank you so much for posting this! I would not have thought to look except for your post; DXB is showing A class in mid-March, including on the flight that I wanted to upgrade - I just finished getting my GUV applied to this segment.

vintagepilot Jan 28, 2020 12:46 pm

Another joker question. This is from post #1 :

In March, I had two GGL redemptions to use prior to April 8th. I used one redemption to upgrade an existing BA booking from CW to F on LHR-PHX//LAX-LHR using Avios. I then used the other joker to book our family of five in F, PHX-LHR-PHX using Avios, Chase 2-for-1 certificate, 2 GUF1, and 1 GUF2. This was approximately 7-8 months in advance, and the outbound did not have sufficient availability, so the agent called revenue management and cleared availability and then called me back to complete the booking.
Assumption - redemption = joker?

I think I get the first one, using a joker to open up availability in F(A).

In the second example, I read it that you went straight in with a new booking in First. In that case, does there have to be availability in CW first as well as A - or just in A?

Oaxaca Jan 28, 2020 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by vintagepilot (Post 32004862)
Another joker question. This is from post #1 :

Assumption - redemption = joker?

I think I get the first one, using a joker to open up availability in F(A).

In the second example, I read it that you went straight in with a new booking in First. In that case, does there have to be availability in CW first as well as A - or just in A?

Yes, Joker is FT slang for GGL Redemption. And in the second example, there does not need to be availability in CW to redeem straight into F cabin using GUFs and jokers, just A class availability in F cabin. Max 5 seats per cabin per flight in total can be redeemed using jokers, so if someone has booked 2 seats with jokers, only a further 3 can be redeemed by someone else.

vintagepilot Jan 29, 2020 12:38 am

Excellent, thanks.

Splotly Feb 3, 2020 7:59 pm

My “tier point collection year ends” 8 June. I’ll have 4,950 points when I wake up on the morning of 8 June and I have the CW return leg of a flight leaving Chicago at 17:05pm (local Chicago time) back to Heathrow on 8 June. That’ll get me 140 points and over the magic 5000 mark.

It’s my first time ever close to this magic level, so I wanted to be 100% sure I’ve got it right - this flight will count in my current year won’t it?

I’m imagining that the BA app will show me reset to zero points long before the points for this flight post. I’ve seen the same sort of question asked in other posts elsewhere and people seem confident BA will automatically get it right, but any advice on anything I can do to make more certain it does go right, or so it can be sorted easily afterwards if it doesn’t? (I can’t change the flight to a day earlier.)

PETER01 Feb 3, 2020 8:24 pm

It will 100% definitely take you over the 5000 TP mark as your flight leaves on the 8th. It will no doubt take a few days to show on your statement etc Nothing to be concerned about and congratulations on getting over the 5k mark :)

Splotly Feb 3, 2020 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01 (Post 32029589)
It will 100% definitely take you over the 5000 TP mark as your flight leaves on the 8th. It will no doubt take a few days to show on your statement etc Nothing to be concerned about and congratulations on getting over the 5k mark :)

Superb! Although it clearly means my life must be an utter mess, I’m actually pretty excited!

Dark Blue Feb 6, 2020 3:32 pm

I am sorry but I need to ask you a silly question.

My membership year is ending in two days. I took a BA flight a couple of days ago but the TP has not been posted. I did not really check how long it normally took in the past, I wonder if the TP is posted after the membership year end, does my status temporarily drops?

I know I should have been re-qualified earlier, but did not have any flight until this week...

dylanks Feb 6, 2020 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Dark Blue (Post 32041483)
I am sorry but I need to ask you a silly question.

My membership year is ending in two days. I took a BA flight a couple of days ago but the TP has not been posted. I did not really check how long it normally took in the past, I wonder if the TP is posted after the membership year end, does my status temporarily drops?

I know I should have been re-qualified earlier, but did not have any flight until this week...

Even though your year end date is on the 8th of February, your status wouldn’t change until the last day of March. BA build in this buffer to give time to resolve any travel near the end of year deadline.

Dark Blue Feb 7, 2020 1:51 am

Originally Posted by dylanks (Post 32041673)
Even though your year end date is on the 8th of February, your status wouldn’t change until the last day of March. BA build in this buffer to give time to resolve any travel near the end of year deadline.

Thank you. My account has been updated, phew... I did not know the account update takes more than two days even though it's on BA, not partner airlines.

Since the TP is reset on the new membership year, I thought the status would change at the same time though the card validity has an extra month.

Pilot37 Feb 7, 2020 4:42 am

Just wondering if anybody has had experience with the following situation:

1) Booked BA flights to Asia with work corporate travel
2) Called BA and used a GUF1 to upgrade to F on both legs
3) Trip likely to be postponed due to the Coronavirus, so do I call BA and reverse the GUF upgrade before asking the Corporate TA to move the dates, or
4) Can the Corporate TA just move the modified booking (now in F) to new dates?
5) Other option I had not thought of?

Pilot37

Dicksbits Feb 8, 2020 10:28 am

Does anyone know what rate Avios is burned using a joker? Is it standard or double (like when Gold benefit opens up availability)?

Gastrocnemius Feb 8, 2020 10:30 am

Standard rate

rossmacd Feb 11, 2020 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37 (Post 32043241)
Just wondering if anybody has had experience with the following situation:

1) Booked BA flights to Asia with work corporate travel
2) Called BA and used a GUF1 to upgrade to F on both legs
3) Trip likely to be postponed due to the Coronavirus, so do I call BA and reverse the GUF upgrade before asking the Corporate TA to move the dates, or
4) Can the Corporate TA just move the modified booking (now in F) to new dates?
5) Other option I had not thought of?

Pilot37

In the several times I have done this (not due to Coronavirus, however!), the Corporate TA has made the relevant changes to the dates/times of my flights and put me back into the original booking class. I then call up BA who will re-apply the GUF to the new sectors in the booking. All fairly painless in the 3 or 4 times I have had to make changes.

The Corporate TA is unlikely to be able to directly re-ticket into A, if your underlying fare class is in J/C/D/R/I etc.