Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
I was told by head of revenue mgm that this is only for internal purposes and will not effect gufs and 'jokers as you call them' . Needs to be verified
Partly true.
BA will allow you to use your GUF in J/F if there is redemption availability, and as you say, you can use a Joker to open up availability if it hasn't already been done so by another GGL'er. However, if using a TA, you're sweet outta luck, and they cannot book into F at all using your GUF from J.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AUHDXB
Partly true.
BA will allow you to use your GUF in J/F if there is redemption availability, and as you say, you can use a Joker to open up availability if it hasn't already been done so by another GGL'er. However, if using a TA, you're sweet outta luck, and they cannot book into F at all using your GUF from J.
jokers require A class though. I thought that route was out as well for these routes with no A class? Or are you saying if F is open you can use your joker now?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA

jokers require A class though. I thought that route was out as well for these routes with no A class? Or are you saying if F is open you can use your joker now?
Correct. If F is open you can use a Joker but only direct with BA. That is what I have been told.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by AUHDXB
Correct. If F is open you can use a Joker but only direct with BA. That is what I have been told.
Would be good to hear from someone who has done it. The fares themselves don't appear too materially impacted by this, I've seen and booked F class fares since this started that are in the ballpark of what A was before, and certainly a lot less than I would expect full F fares to be. While there is an Avios bonus and greater flexibility from this, the removal of using Jokers would be a severe blow, certainly if extended to more routes.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, LH FTL, IHG Diamond
Just a quick question, sorry if I have overread it somewhere:
If you happen to pass the 5.000 TP threshold for the first time (being Gold already), will the day you reach the 5.000 also be your new TP year date or will the original date remain the same (from your "normal" Gold year)?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by SirToby
Just a quick question, sorry if I have overread it somewhere:
If you happen to pass the 5.000 TP threshold for the first time (being Gold already), will the day you reach the 5.000 also be your new TP year date or will the original date remain the same (from your "normal" Gold year)?
Will remain.
You get 2 jokers immediately . And ccr room acces. Can grant gold and silver. So all the perks for ggl and ccr.. But year stays. U get 2 more jokers when ur new year as GGL starts. And more cards to give
SirToby likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, LH FTL, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
Will remain.
You get 2 jokers immediately . And ccr room acces. Can grant gold and silver. So all the perks for ggl and ccr.. But year stays. U get 2 more jokers when ur new year as GGL starts. And more cards to give
Thanks for the clarification
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: BA GGL
I have a potentially unanswerable question. Since moving from Gold to GGL I seem to have been missed off certain 'perks', so wondering if the system doesn't have me marked up correctly?

1. On a few of the flights I've taken some GCHers have received a golden hello, whereas I have not (for any of the 12 since qualifying). No problem with that whatsoever - really don't need it - but thought it kind of odd to be selecting specific passengers only.
2. On the last two flights I've not had a blocked seat next to me. Yesterday's OPO-LGW had around 20 empty seats, many of which were blocked according to Seat Alerts, yet my neighbouring middle wasn't. Again, not a problem - kind of an expectation in the logic of travel! - but seems odd to be blocking seats and leaving a large number unfilled, including a full exit row.

I'm probably being crazy needy or something, but I've had, er, 'miscategorisation issues' before - namely being on a CW flight a couple of years back and entirely ignored for food until I went to ask in the galley, they 'thought I was staff' apparently - and wouldn't want to miss out on possible opup/blocked seat perks in the future, which I value greatly.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
I don't think that's too odd. It's ba.
I don't think they have a seat block policy as I heard.
I never get a greeting.
I waited 15min yesterday in 1a before getting a welcome drink.. And had to get up to ask for bread after the meal was served cuz they forgot me.
So you need to give me more evidence to proof your theories.. 😂
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
I have a potentially unanswerable question. Since moving from Gold to GGL I seem to have been missed off certain 'perks', so wondering if the system doesn't have me marked up correctly?

1. On a few of the flights I've taken some GCHers have received a golden hello, whereas I have not (for any of the 12 since qualifying). No problem with that whatsoever - really don't need it - but thought it kind of odd to be selecting specific passengers only.
2. On the last two flights I've not had a blocked seat next to me. Yesterday's OPO-LGW had around 20 empty seats, many of which were blocked according to Seat Alerts, yet my neighbouring middle wasn't. Again, not a problem - kind of an expectation in the logic of travel! - but seems odd to be blocking seats and leaving a large number unfilled, including a full exit row.

I'm probably being crazy needy or something, but I've had, er, 'miscategorisation issues' before - namely being on a CW flight a couple of years back and entirely ignored for food until I went to ask in the galley, they 'thought I was staff' apparently - and wouldn't want to miss out on possible opup/blocked seat perks in the future, which I value greatly.
Just my own experience, but neither myself (Gold then GGL) or OH (Partner Gold) received any kind of "Ah Mr xx, congratulations on reaching xx tier". I don't know if the iPad tells crew that people are newly anointed at a particular level. I'm not fussed anyway about onboard greetings etc, however had a very nice "Hello Mr Doyle, how are things?" greeting and chat with the Captain on recent OSL-LHR, with him talking to all the Golds during a break in the flight. That was natural and well received.

Not sure on item (2) TBH.

In terms of mis-categorisation I think mistakes happen. Are you young/look young and out of place in CW? (lucky you - I mean look young, not out of place) That's a common theory here I think, but I believe that mistakes can happen without specific prejudice being applied.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
Just my own experience, but neither myself (Gold then GGL) or OH (Partner Gold) received any kind of "Ah Mr xx, congratulations on reaching xx tier". I don't know if the iPad tells crew that people are newly anointed at a particular level. I'm not fussed anyway about onboard greetings etc, however had a very nice "Hello Mr Doyle, how are things?" greeting and chat with the Captain on recent OSL-LHR, with him talking to all the Golds during a break in the flight. That was natural and well received.

Not sure on item (2) TBH.

In terms of mis-categorisation I think mistakes happen. Are you young/look young and out of place in CW? (lucky you - I mean look young, not out of place) That's a common theory here I think, but I believe that mistakes can happen without specific prejudice being applied.
Haha, I'm usually in a tee/hoodie/similar and am lower 30s. I only own one suit - it's for weddings.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks

See if you can get hold of your CIV. If it's 97+ then you're correctly showing as GGL on the iPad.

Regarding seating, they certainly DO block seats for Golds at (I think) T72. However, another Gold can (and often will) take that seat during this 'block' period.

So it's entirely possible a couple (one or both of whom are Gold) took the two seats any time before check in. Blocked seats hold better if you sit further back. Exit Rows are notorious for having the middle seat taken even when 'blocked' because late booking Golds still see it as desirable, despite being a middle seat.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
When I want to change the TA-booked flights using GUF after the outbound sectors have been flown, apparently the changes need to be made with BA according to TA, and here is a problem:

Booked in I, upgraded with GUF to A with TA.

No Z class availability (which is needed if I have to change the booking with BA) on the date I am changing to. No underlying I class availability either (the lowest fare class available in CW is C).

BA says that I have to pay the fare difference to the lowest available CW fare (C class), pay the change fee, and the use a Joker to release the A class.

I thought the underlying fare class didn't need to be available and only that it has to be within the fare validity (i.e. 28 day advance booking in this case as it's I...28)?

Does anyone know?

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Feb 15, 2019 at 9:51 am
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
When I want to change the TA-booked flights using GUF after the outbound sectors have been flown, apparently the changes need to be made with BA according to BA
oh that sucks - there goes my plan of booking my next jolly...
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:52 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by wmaciej
oh that sucks - there goes my plan of booking my next jolly...
Sorry, I meant to write according to TA, it has to be done by BA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.