Wiki Posts
Search

When to ask for 2 week extension

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
When to ask for 2 week extension

We will need to ask for a two week extension to our membership year to achieve gold from silver. This will be in June. Do we do it now just in case they refuse and it gives us some notice to do another(unplanned trip) or leave it until the last minute and hope for the best? At present the flight that gets us to GCH is exactly 2 weeks after our year finishes.

Poor planning I know but our HNL trip was only in November and the next part of our ex MUC-HKG isn't till March.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:27 am

In my experience, there's no point in calling now. They'll just tell you to call back during the two weeks when the TPs have credited.

FWIW, I've never heard reports of anyone being refused this, so I think it's a pretty sure thing.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by steve170461
We will need to ask for a two week extension to our membership year to achieve gold from silver. This will be in June. Do we do it now just in case they refuse and it gives us some notice to do another(unplanned trip) or leave it until the last minute and hope for the best? At present the flight that gets us to GCH is exactly 2 weeks after our year finishes.

Poor planning I know but our HNL trip was only in November and the next part of our ex MUC-HKG isn't till March.
What do you mean by 'exactly 2 weeks'. It would be helpful if you gave the dates. What you think is OK might actually not be with BA!

This is always an 'after' rather than before request and BA will bat it right back at you.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
you don't have to ask for an extension. It is given if you need it. Asking now for June is pointless anyway.

Just need to make sure that the flight is completed within the 2 week period, as there is no flexibility there.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 7:18 am
Original Poster

OK -thanks. Year is up on the 8th June and our booked outbound is on the 22nd June.
Old May 6, 2016, 5:03 am
Original Poster

you don't have to ask for an extension. It is given if you need it. Asking now for June is pointless anyway.

Just need to make sure that the flight is completed within the 2 week period, as there is no flexibility there.
Does this advice still hold good? I have no opportunity now to get my last 15TP before the 14 day window. Year is up on June 8th and next flight is June 22nd.

Is no phone call to BAEC required at all?

Thanks
Old May 6, 2016, 5:10 am

You do have to ask for it - it won't be applied automatically.

And nor should it. How could/would BA determine if someone wanted the extension or not?
Old May 6, 2016, 5:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It's really cutting it quite fine. Fly your segment and then call BA and ask them to credit it to the old year. You may or may not get the answer you're hoping for. It's a courtesy, not a right.
Old May 7, 2016, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Just spoke to a very helpful agent who has put a note on the account. Just said that another quick call after the flight and all will be well. Phew.
Old May 8, 2016, 1:03 am
Original Poster

So here's an interesting update. I called BAEC to extend the year for my wife as she wasn't around for the call yesterday morning.

The agent told me that there was no need to call for a 2 week extension as we were so close to Gold (20 TP).

Basically she told me that if on ones' Year end date, one is within 40TP to go from Sliver to Gold, 20TP to go from Bronze to Silver and 10 TP to go from Blue to Bronze then with a phone cal lon 8th June (our end of year date) BA will, and I use her words "upgrade" you to the next tier without the need to fly. I actually read it back to her my understanding and she confirmed it. I have never seen this mentioned on here before, but she said it wasn't a new policy.

Last edited by steve170461; May 8, 2016 at 8:03 am Reason: Punctuation
Old May 9, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
I suppose it's believable, but I wouldn't imagine that any frequenters of flyertalk would ever allow themselves to miss a tier upgrade by such a small margin, so we wouldn't know
Old May 10, 2016, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Well there are often questions about extending the year by the 2 weeks. With this policy there often won't be the need. Not all of us can plan work trips to get to Gold and so we are sometimes driven by when days off occur.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.