Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Traveller Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions

The thread is to share experiences, photos, reviews and questions of the temporary lounge in London Gatwick (LGW) North Terminal.

This thread has been created as a partner thread to this discussion, which is a more suitable place to discuss the broader issues relating to the move to the South terminal:
BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016

Update 14 April 2016
25 January 2017 is the official opening date of the new lounge in LGW.

"The new lounge will have more space with better facilities and the location will offer impressive views across the runway. The new lounge will also have full kitchen facilities and an exclusive area for our First customers and Gold Executive Club members."

Thanks to Happytohelp for this intel
Print Wikipost

Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by nigelw
Thanks. Any advantages/disadvantages between them all food/drink wise?
MyLounge you have self serve drinks - whereas No.1 you have to go to the bar. Can't remember 100% but think you can only get the ordered food in No.1 also, whereas MyLounge is just the buffet.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by flashware
MyLounge you have self serve drinks - whereas No.1 you have to go to the bar. Can't remember 100% but think you can only get the ordered food in No.1 also, whereas MyLounge is just the buffet.
Mylounge sounds much better in that regard then, no?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by nigelw
Mylounge sounds much better in that regard then, no?
Depends what you fancy really! There's plenty of reports upthread on the merits of each. Personally I still prefer the No.1.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I don't need 'servants' ... I just desire 'availability'.

My legs are still fully functional, for which I am grateful.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:08 pm

Self serve is always a bonus but the wine is £3.99 a bottle quality e.g Yellowtail. No 1 lounge not much better but you can at least get a half decent Bloody Mary made for you or draught Estrella lager.

On balance, if alcohol is what you're after, I'd rather perch at the No 1 bar and be served. The bar staff won't judge you!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Well for those of you who haven't yet had the pleasure of visiting the No. 1 Lounge, these are two of the culinary delights that await! I was actually in the LGW South lounge, which was shhhhh....very quiet.

The Winter Beef Stew was quite tasty but not a very generous portion.

So I knocked back 2 glasses of wine and waited until another barman arrived so I could order the Fish Finger Sandwich. I'm not kidding you, this was the first time in my life that I've had one of these and boy am I glad that I didn't have to pay the extortionate £4 for 3 fingers in a small roll. BA must be saving a fortune at LGW North.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by simonsmith

Response above from BA....Has anyone other than the initial post been given a voucher? It may have just been a one off agent?
I was offered 10,000 Avios as a compensation. And made it my resolution that I will not go through Gatwick until the shambles are over.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Not much sign of premium service at Gatwick this morning.

No. 1 Lounge rammed as usual. No food as arrived at 10:50am and they were changing over for lunch.

Went to gate. No fast track lane. Agent persistently banged the screen of my phone against the reader to get my boarding pass to scan.

No priority boarding...gold, silver, bronze, business UK and rows 29 onwards all called at once.

Got to seat in row 1. Overhead bins full of crews kit.

I think BA are sending me a message...
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
I would be asking the crew to move their items!
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I was offered 10,000 Avios as a compensation. And made it my resolution that I will not go through Gatwick until the shambles are over.

I'm still fighting for any kind of comp. Just getting the form letters at the moment.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Following up after the helpful replies I got when I asked about the LGW lounge situation, we flew LGW to Faro and back last Saturday to yesterday (Wednesday).

In order to avoid any issues with a packed lounge on the first Saturday of the easter hols I cunningly booked us into the Aspire lounge. Taking my destiny in my own hands for £60 for the 3 of us seemed fair value bearing in mind that was a bottle of wine and a packet of crisps at the Conrad Algarve.

Although a little tired in places (both me and Aspire) I successfully avoided weeks of anxiety and stress. I do not mind paying "lounge insurance" as it's something we all enjoy.

En-route to Aspire, we looked to see the carnage upstairs first hand, but alas there was a queue of about 3 people and seating was definately available in the My Lounge "pub". This was 6am.

To add to the dissapointment, the priority security was open and I timed us 12 minutes from top of the escalator in the rain to the lounge. Both flights were great, boarding was smooth, the new champagne is much nicer than the old one and the bloody weather in Faro was scorching :-(

Apologies for the slight sarcasm but I think there is a bit too much fuss about this! Very much looking forward to the new lounge when it opens though.

Safe travels all.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:04 am

Dear No1 Lounge: why not get the hot food and put it on heated buffet counters? For an example of this visit an airline lounge. That way, the passengers (who might be in a hurry with a plane to catch) won't be advised by the single member of staff behind the busy bar that a bacon roll will take "at least 20 minutes". Are your margins really so thin that you need to control costs down to a few rashers of intensively-reared bacon?

Dear No1 Lounge: why not consider rebranding yourselves the Every1 Lounge, because there certainly didn't seem to be No1 in it this morning.

Dear BA: what do you pay No.1 Lounge per passenger? Why not offer passengers the choice of a voucher for this amount to passengers to spend at an airport concession instead?

(Does anyone actually know the range of what contract lounge entry costs? Presumably BA would have got a very good deal for volume vs whatever they give a contract lounge at some remote outpost, but I'd be interested in any informed estimates...)
Old Apr 2, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Here this morning (for an extended time, thanks to delay on BA2624 to NCE). Extremely busy when I arrived, making it challenging to find somewhere to sit (ended up in the Library, rearranging the furniture to make it more conducive for a single traveller), let alone get to the croissants and coffee. Think I'll wait for lunch on the plane...

The only thing that redeems the place compared to the past few visits is the new gents' loos. Far more facilities, although the job has either been done to a price or snagging has not yet been completed. Perhaps it's both.

Staff remain cheerful in spite of the constant onslaught of people. Now I see that No 1 are suggesting that the Clubrooms in LGW N will be open on 29 April: https://no1lounges.com/service/airpo...north-terminal
Old Apr 2, 2016, 7:36 am

Maybe BA could have done a deal with Emirates - that is what happened when the EK lounge at T3 was refurbished.

When I was in the EK lounge on Tuesday it was only 25% full and in sure they could have accommodated any BA people with an F ticket.

Or perhaps they asked and the answer was no/cost was too high.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: Working towards being a Bronze member
We've been told we're not to offer any gesture for the No1 lounge.

If there's other issues, they'll be considered. But not for the lounge.

If you've received something, you're the exception. Anyone waiting or expecting something, don't hold your breathe.

Believe me, we're not happy with the situation. I spoke to the Head of CR briefly and mentioned it. He confirmed there's discussions taking place with NO1 about what they're delivering.

"All posts are my own and not my employer"

Last edited by Happytohelp; Apr 4, 2016 at 4:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.