Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2016 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2016 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2016, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
BA seems to play the long game, hoping it will wear most claimants out. Bad form I think.

Send them a letter stating your intentions to start a small claims process. No point to keep playing email pingpong.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 6:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PaulN
Now, I'm assuming the refunds team will only do the fare difference not a compensation claim. So, any suggestions for what to do next please. Wife is only blue so a phone call I fear would involve a lot of time on hold.
The hold times aren't always bad, midday UK midweek and you should be through in under 10 minutes. Or use Twitter. So I would call Customer Relations, they don't handle EC261 in detailed cases, but they may be able to help. Or use Twitter.

If that doesn't go well, play hardball. Work out the cost and give BA final notice of your claim, with a view to MCOL, as per the posts above. I would use the full ticket price and use that as a bargaining chip, since actually they prefer to pay on a per sector affected basis, even though the Regulation doesn't actually say that.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 6:03 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by PaulN
Hi all.

As mentioned in another thread my wife was involuntarily downgraded from Premium Economy to Economy last Saturday on the 1350 flight LHR-MIA. She was offered £75 at the time with no offer of rerouting (getting to TPA same day would have been difficult in any case).

A case had already been opened for what we think is a refund of the fare difference but I followed up with a specific request for EC/261 compensation for the downgrade. We got a response that said "I am unable to increase the compensation further".

I sent a further email asking again for EC/261 compensation and today we have just received the same response (see below)

As previously mentioned, the compensation we’ve offered you is a set limit, so unfortunately I’m unable to increase it. If you've any concerns regarding the refund, I'd suggest you to contact our Refunds department at the address mentioned in my previous email. They're better placed to help you with any concerns you may have regarding your refund.

Now, I'm assuming the refunds team will only do the fare difference not a compensation claim. So, any suggestions for what to do next please. Wife is only blue so a phone call I fear would involve a lot of time on hold.
Send them another message highlighting that EC261 compensation is due within 7 days (might want to double check the wiki / early posts) and giving a (reasonable) deadline after which you'll initiate a small claims court action.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 6:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by editionsofyou
Perhaps not surprising that BA are playing hardball given it was a full A380 - is the principle now established that it is not extraordinary as c-w-s indicates above ?
Birdstrike is no longer considered Extraordinary Circumstances, as a quick Google will throw up. Keep at it, by all means quote the relevant cases back at them, and consider setting the pace and playing hardball.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Send them another message highlighting that EC261 compensation is due within 7 days (might want to double check the wiki / early posts) and giving a (reasonable) deadline after which you'll initiate a small claims court action.
Thanks for the responses (+ henky and CWS). We are still in the US at the moment and I don't want to spend my hols arguing with BA. Will give them one more message as above and then call on return to UK.

Here's the message:

Thank you for your further message. The compensation you must offer is set by law, not by BA. To say that £75 is the set limit is not correct according to EC regulation 261/2004.

261/2004 states a refund of 75% of the ticket price is payable for a downgrade. The ticket price I paid is £1168.26. 75% of this is £876.19.

It is still not clear from your response whether the refunds team will be processing a refund of the fare difference or a refund due under 261/2004. Given you have only provided a postal address, it is not reasonable for me to write them a letter and wait to find out.

The regulation requires that compensation is paid within 7 days. It is now exactly 7 days since the flight.

If I do not receive the compensation due under regulation 261/2004 within 7 days from now (02/04/16) I will be considering further action including an MCOL claim.

PS - I know that we could have got an ex-EU at a better deal than £1168 for WTP but (a) the wife said a flat no to a visit to Dublin first and (b) we were due to be taking the in-laws who would not have survived the extra journey I fear.

Last edited by PaulN; Apr 2, 2016 at 7:01 am
Old Apr 2, 2016, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
We need to be clear that there is NO compensation for a downgrade under EU261.

The language in the article is quite specific. If the EU wanted this to be compensation (like for cancellations or IDB) they would have said so.

Article 10 states 'reimburse' and the various % levels depending on flight distance are all they are required to pay.

There is no point asking for compensation when it is reimbursement is what you want.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: Working towards being a Bronze member
For a downgrade, a request will be sent to the refunds team to calculate the difference in fare that's due. The "compensation" we offer is a gesture and not a legal requirement. This will either be offered as cash or an eVoucher. The voucher is usually worth more than the cash payment.

"All posts are my own and not on behalf of my employer"
Old Apr 2, 2016, 7:43 am

I don't work in refunds, so can't say with 100% certainty.
I believe the 75% difference in fare, is based on the fare element of the leg of the journey affected. Not 75% of the total amount paid.

The gesture offered is a set amount and won't be changed.

Old Apr 2, 2016, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
BA seems to play the long game, hoping it will wear most claimants out. Bad form I think.

Send them a letter stating your intentions to start a small claims process. No point to keep playing email pingpong.
I have to disagree with you on this point.

Cases are put in a queue to be dealt with. When an agent picks up a claim for EU comp, we go via the information given to us by the flight investigation team. The flight detail report will state if the delay is payable, if it isn't payable or if it's debatable. Generally a debatable will be a rotational delay. In this instance we will refer to the previous leg to see what caused that delay and the one before that.

If a marker is put on the flight as not payable. It's because the flight investigation team believe this isn't payable.

As I mentioned in another thread. People who get through to the CR trial teams. Can have their EU claim sorted in half an hour.
If the claim is in a queue, it's waiting for an agent to work on it.

There's nothing in place saying "deny a claim and hope they don't come back". If the report says payable, we pay. Simple as that.

Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happytohelp
There's nothing in place saying "deny a claim and hope they don't come back". If the report says payable, we pay. Simple as that.
I was not suggesting it is you who are doing it. It may very well be the ones categorising the flights. No idea.

Maybe BA just has very little control over all the delays they have. That is also not a good thing. Every claim denied based on extraordinary circumstances is one aircraft where BA cannot control its departure and/or arrival time.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Happytohelp
I don't work in refunds, so can't say with 100% certainty.
I believe the 75% difference in fare, is based on the fare element of the leg of the journey affected. Not 75% of the total amount paid.

The gesture offered is a set amount and won't be changed.

Thanks for your response. I've seen some very helpful comments from you on recent threads here.

For clarity two questions :

(1) Are you saying the "gesture" is the £75 already offered at the airport?

(2) Will the refunds team calculate a refund based on the 75% of the sector cost (i.e. in line with 261/2004) or just calculate the one way difference in fare paid between premium economy and economy. If the former, had the response said that I would have waited for the refund without issue. If the latter it seems extraordinarily shoddy that somebody who has paid extra for a modest amount of additional comfort can be downgraded against their wishes and only get £75 for their trouble.

Noted the other poster's comment about compensation vs reimbursement. Will remember this for next time.

Last edited by PaulN; Apr 2, 2016 at 9:41 am
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It's 75% of the fare, not the fare difference.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is a quote from a document

Question 27: Where an air journey contains several legs, which part is to be reimbursed in case of downgrading?

If an air carrier or tour operator places a passenger in a class lower than that for which reservations were confirmed, it shall reimburse 30%, 50% or 75%, as applicable, of the published fare in the class reserved, for that flight sector.[29]
[29] NEB are of the opinion that reimbursement will be made in relation to the ticket, not just the flight sector, which the passenger was travelling on when the downgrade occurred.
NEB stands for National Enforcement Bodies. I realise this document has no legal standing, but maybe if you escalate your downgrade complaint to the NEB of the UK, it can help? Someone in the know about this?

In other news...

Lightning strikes no longer count as extraordinary circumstances. Could this be the end of the 'weather en route made us do it' defence?

Flight delayed passengers can claim compensation for delays caused by lightning strikes as a result of a judgement at Reading Crown Court.

Her Honour Judge Melissa Clarke ruled in favour of passengers Michael Evans and Julie Lee today (14/01/16) in the appeal case of Evans v Monarch Airlines Ltd at Reading County Court.

The Judge awarded the passengers €600 (£450) each for a five-hour flight delay.

The judge ruled that lightning strikes are not one of the ‘extraordinary circumstances’ that excuse airlines from paying flight delay compensation.

Although the decision is not legally binding on other courts, it follows an appeal hearing at Luton County Court (where a large amount of flight delay cases are heard) and is the lead case on the issue of lightning strikes.

As such the decision will be highly persuasive in flight delay cases involving lightning in English and Welsh courts.

Last edited by henkybaby; Apr 2, 2016 at 9:19 am
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A friend of mine - from the legal profession - says:
Damage to an aircraft that is suffered during normal operation is no ground for denial of EC261 delay compensation. It seems BA is trying to cloud the issue by saying that the damage to the aircraft is caused by extreme weather (i.e. severe turbulence), however that is immaterial. It could be argued that it is BA's responsibility to avoid bad weather en route. He is of the opinion that the 'bad weather' argument is mostly related to arrival or departure points, as they are fixed. By trying to make 'weather' the cause of the technical issue BA might hope to set a precedent. Take it to court.
I think it makes sense. He also came up with the lightning strike example from the previous post, claiming that this is in fact (legally) the same circumstance.

Additionally...

Maybe this ruling (van der Lans vs KLM) can be added somewhere, in case people need to fight the 'technical issues beyond our control' defence.

Here is a good document summarising important rulings and describes the 'state of EC261' as per 2015 (downloads directly to your computer).

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by henkybaby; Apr 2, 2016 at 10:41 am
Old Apr 2, 2016, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Very interesting, henkybaby ... airlines won't like those interpretations!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.