Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2016 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2016 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks for the summary, makes it a lot easier! This is a 800km trip, or thereabouts, so that is 250€, but halved because you were less than 2 hours late. You can then argue about LGW v LHR if you want to (ie. argue the case for being more than 2 hours late), but having done that very precise trip - ferry across the lake and the train to ZRH - it's actually quite pleasant and very scenic, so you did well there, in my view. They should cover the £120 on top, plus any reasonable refreshments - and there is a very nice café on that ferry! - and communication costs.

This assumes that the reason for the flight being cancelled was lack of equipment/crew, which is what I think it was. If it was weather related (etc) then it's just the £120 and right of care aspects (food, drink, communications).
Wow, thanks for the swift reply! Yes, the ferry/rail trip was very pleasant & scenic :-)
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by alpenlupe
Wow, thanks for the swift reply! Yes, the ferry/rail trip was very pleasant & scenic :-)
Regardless, the 250 EUR compensation is due if you don't get to your destination airport within 2 hours - and as you were very nearly 2 hours late but landed at Heathrow rather than Gatwick, you are entitled to the full amount.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by 710 77345
Regardless, the 250 EUR compensation is due if you don't get to your destination airport within 2 hours - and as you were very nearly 2 hours late but landed at Heathrow rather than Gatwick, you are entitled to the full amount.
Thanks, I'll claim the €250.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:09 am

Hello,

Advice please.

I was due to fly from a California airport to Heathrow but the plane for the use of this journey was delayed in the north of America due to snow the previous day. The weather in California was fine.

I was put on another flight the following day but had to travel by taxi to LA to catch it.
I have the cancelled flight info but not the new flight, I cant remember if I just used to original ticket, does this matter?

Can I claim?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk Geeza Butler, welcome to the BA forum. I hope you will have a chance to look at the many other threads here, there's a lot of useful (and some useless) information hereabouts.

Given the sparse details, I suspect it falls into the "hard to say" area. If it was a European airline and they are based in Europe, then snow disruption on the outbound sector may be a good reason to not pay compensation. A case of where the details matter. They would still have to pay the taxi fare and reasonable food and drink (etc) as per the Right of Care aspects. It also depends when this was, if was many years ago you may now be too late to claim, and that time frame depends somewhat on where you bought the ticket/where you live.

If it was a USA airline then it's not EC261 you need to look towards, and broadly speaking poor weather anywhere is considered just part of life.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:34 am

Hi thanks for the welcome.

It was a BA flight and I live in England.
Flight booked in England, I was on the return leg.

The plane that was scheduled to fly out of cali was delayed up north due to snow.
It was not a pit stop flight. The plane was sposed to be ready and waiting for a fresh flight from Cali to UK.

Cheers
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
deleted
Old Mar 8, 2016, 12:00 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes it's a bit difficult to make this one out. Normally BA flies there and back to the USA. Now if your flight had been caught in a previous day's turmoil and was therefore not available to fly LHR to California and back again, then that usually is OK for EC261. If there were other services from that mystery airport, especially Virgin, flying then that's a good clue that EC261 may be available.

But you can just apply as per the posts at the start, and then react of any reply.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:17 pm

Thanks
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
I've flown an intra-EU itinerary - NCL > LHR > VCE

NCL > LHR was delayed due a battery fault, causing us to miss our LHR > VCE connection, resulting in a late arrival and valid EU261 claim (ended up about 8 hours late arriving at VCE)

However in our claim we calculated the distance as the combined distance (using great circle) of LHR > LHR then LHR-VCE. This is over 1500km.

However the airline is claiming the distance should be calculated as LHR > VCE, which is a few km less than 1500km.

I've searched high and low and can't find an authoritative answer to how the distance should be calculated in this scenario (either way). I wouldn't want to accept less than we are due, but without a solid source to argue any other way, it looks like we'll be accepting the <1500km compensation.

Thanks in advance if anyone has an answer to this, SC
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ShadowCaptain
I've flown an intra-EU itinerary - NCL > LHR > VCE
There's a bit of an answer in Q3 in post 3 above and in the Regulations Article 7.1, though it doesn't fully answer your question. My interpretation is that your final delay point was VCE, your journey started in NCL, so it's NCL-VCE that counts, which is 900 miles which is 1448 kms. I don't think you can argue in this situation that going via London made it more than 1500 kms since BA presumably had the option of routing you another route under 1500 kms and you'd still potentially get to VCE at the same time.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There's a bit of an answer in Q3 in post 3 above and in the Regulations Article 7.1, though it doesn't fully answer your question. My interpretation is that your final delay point was VCE, your journey started in NCL, so it's NCL-VCE that counts, which is 900 miles which is 1448 kms. I don't think you can argue in this situation that going via London made it more than 1500 kms since BA presumably had the option of routing you another route under 1500 kms and you'd still potentially get to VCE at the same time.
Thanks for the reply CWS! This aspect of the regulation does seem to be a bit murky. During my research I found at least one 'claims company' that says on their site that distance is calculated as the combined distance of all legs, but without citing any source to give such a claim legs, I think its meaningless.

We'll just take what's been offered I think, I just wanted to be sure we weren't being short changed.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:57 am

Just been notified that my flight to LGW this afternoon has been cancelled and Flightradar24 shows the plane (G-DBCB) going to Geneva at 1510 instead of 1600 to JER.

Does anyone know the cancellation reason?

Managed to get onto the last flight tonight but as its 2.5hrs later, I should be entitled to EU261 as less than 7 days notice and arrive more than 2 hours after original flight arrival time, obviously depending on the cancellation reason.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 4:46 am

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Interesting 12 hrs. LHR -CDG 314 cancelled

314 lhr to CDG cancelled (no reason given) assume fog but many flights operating and at same time so don't see how this is extraordinary as heathrow is operating albeit reduced capacity I imagine
More likely flight not full and a combination of both
Rebooked on 310 over three hours later
A bit of a bother as we had plans but we will survive
Are we allowe eu261 compensation for the over 3 hour delay and what should I do at this point to try to secure it interms of gathering info
Am in the CCR so don't need assistance for food drinks etc

Official listed reason is weather ..... But the staff have no real clue -said could be late inbound flow restrictions some vague is with an America Airlines emergency. And a closed runway. Sounds like eu261 will be challenging but could I still make a case

Last edited by aircrashsurvivor; Mar 11, 2016 at 4:54 am
Old Mar 11, 2016, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
Are we allowe eu261 compensation for the over 3 hour delay and what should I do at this point to try to secure it interms of gathering info
Am in the CCR so don't need assistance for food drinks etc
If this is today, then yes it's fog and I'm 99.99999% certain EC261 won't get you anywhere further. Fog = ATC slot reductions = some aircraft can still leave, many can't = still outside BA's control. By all means find out from the CCR desk the reason for the cancellation, what I'm seeing is:

FLIGHT CANCEL 1042
WEAT

(i.e. weather).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.