Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2016 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2016 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by kmccallum13
Thanks. Ec261 has been approved, it's the refund on my rebooked flight I need to get. Will persevere for a bit longer!!
Still claiming that it isn't possible for BA to refund me! This is a shambles!
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by kmccallum13
Still claiming that it isn't possible for BA to refund me! This is a shambles!
did you rebook yourself with BA or with another airline?
usually the case for cancellation where you choose to book elsewhere independently is that you receive a refund and EU261 (if applicable)
In your case you need to concentrate on the fact that BA were unable to rebook you due to the systems being down
This should not be difficult for them to process the refund of the new flight if it was a BA flight....I expect you will have a longer battle if you chose to rebook on flybe for example as, had the BA system been working they would have rebooked you on BA but not Flybe
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by caz312
did you rebook yourself with BA or with another airline?
usually the case for cancellation where you choose to book elsewhere independently is that you receive a refund and EU261 (if applicable)
In your case you need to concentrate on the fact that BA were unable to rebook you due to the systems being down
This should not be difficult for them to process the refund of the new flight if it was a BA flight....I expect you will have a longer battle if you chose to rebook on flybe for example as, had the BA system been working they would have rebooked you on BA but not Flybe
I rebooked with BA, was on the 07:00 out of City the next morning. I'm about to phone them...
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
To say I'm amazed is an understatement ... claimed on-line at 1230 yesterday [Sunday], and this was emailed to me at 0804 today:
Thanks for contacting us about your claim for compensation.

You’re entitled to compensation for the delay to your flight BA2263 on 09 March 2016. The distance of your disrupted journey was over 3500 km. This has been calculated in accordance with EU legislation and you’re entitled to €600.00 per passenger in compensation.

The total amount of compensation you’re due is £942.97, which is equivalent to €1,200.00 as there are two passenger included in your claim. I’ve raised a cheque for £942.97, which will be in your name as the primary claimant. You’ll receive it soon.
Well done on this occasion, BA ^

Last edited by T8191; Mar 21, 2016 at 3:14 am
Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by T8191
To say I'm amazed is an understatement ... claimed on-line at 1230 yesterday [Sunday], and this was emailed to me at 0804 today:

Well done on this occasion, BA ^
Good news! My EC261 claim was painless and I'm just waiting on the cheque for that one, took about the same time as you.

I currently have BA doing a call trace for the two calls I made to try and rearrange my original booking so we'll see how that goes! Fingers crossed I actually get the money I am due!!
Old Mar 24, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
Three weeks ago my flight was delayed for more than 20 hours. Two days later I wrote to BA (through BA.com) and asked for compensation; a day later I received an automated confirmation email with a case ID number. A week ago I wrote again (using the follow-up online form) but still did not hear back from BA.

Is there something else I should / could do or is it a "normal" waiting time. The first email did mention "an unusually high amount of correspondence"...
Old Mar 24, 2016, 8:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ophir_mm
Three weeks ago my flight was delayed for more than 20 hours. Two days later I wrote to BA (through BA.com) and asked for compensation; a day later I received an automated confirmation email with a case ID number. A week ago I wrote again (using the follow-up online form) but still did not hear back from BA.

Is there something else I should / could do or is it a "normal" waiting time. The first email did mention "an unusually high amount of correspondence"...
Personally I'd allow it a few more weeks, unless you are desperate for the money. You can Twitter your case reference, BAEC number, email address and date of birth via DM; alternatively ring up Customer Relations during UK office hours. Both of these may speed up processing, but it would be unusual to not get a full reply if you have a case ID number.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 12:51 am

Thanks, I will wait, no real rush. Couldn't figure out what is DM It's not on the BA Forum Glossary either
Old Mar 25, 2016, 1:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ophir_mm
Thanks, I will wait, no real rush. Couldn't figure out what is DM It's not on the BA Forum Glossary either
Direct Message, a feature of Twitter apparently, allowing a message to be passed between parties which doesn't get wider viewership. BA prefers to handle customer relations exchanges via that method. Also the name of a popular comic.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Direct Message, a feature of Twitter apparently, allowing a message to be passed between parties which doesn't get wider viewership. BA prefers to handle customer relations exchanges via that method. Also the name of a popular comic.
^
Old Mar 27, 2016, 7:32 am

Great success - after speaking to someone in the Customer Relations team BA has finally agreed to refund me for the flight I had to book! Amazing the difference it makes when you actually talk to someone rather than getting emails back and forth.

Lady in the call centre was excellent - for once I will be leaving feedback on the service!!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:52 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I'm trying to find out how long a flight was delayed, not for cash compensation but for another reason. Does anybody know how I can find out the details for flight BA459 MAD-LHR 23.03.2016?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headingwest
I'm trying to find out how long a flight was delayed, not for cash compensation but for another reason. Does anybody know how I can find out the details for flight BA459 MAD-LHR 23.03.2016?
15:21 hrs GMT instead of 13:15 hrs in the timetable, according to ExpertFlyer. We get slightly more information (the dispatch information) for 24 hours after the flight.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:05 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
15:21 hrs GMT instead of 13:15 hrs in the timetable, according to ExpertFlyer. We get slightly more information (the dispatch information) for 24 hours after the flight.
Thanks C-W-S, that's great ^
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by T8191
To say I'm amazed is an understatement ... claimed on-line at 1230 yesterday [Sun 20 Mar], and this was emailed to me at 0804 today (Mon 21 Mar):
To finish the story, today I received the cheque for £942.97, dated Tue 22 Mar.

Postal delays over Easter I can forgive, especially with the weather factor added on!

YMMV, of course.

Last edited by T8191; Mar 30, 2016 at 1:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.