FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Print Wikipost

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2024, 1:47 pm
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You can go landside or airside, and that applies to all LHR connections, all airlines, providing there's no checked luggage that has to be collected from LHR. This is one of the very few where I would say landside is better.
Thanks, done from DUB - T5 many times and knew there was an option, but not T2.

Would you still advise land-side on the return and what would the reason be out of interest?
Old Apr 30, 2024, 2:21 pm

Flying CPH-LHR-BNA in Paid J in July. Shows arrival and departure from T5.

Looking at either an 80 minute layover or a 4 hour layover. What would you do?
Old Apr 30, 2024, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by mesadler

80 minutes and look forward to eu 261 if the inbound is late
Old Apr 30, 2024, 4:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by JD1905
Thanks, done from DUB - T5 many times and knew there was an option, but not T2.

Would you still advise land-side on the return and what would the reason be out of interest?
The reason for suggesting landside on Dublin Aer Lingus to T5 is that like T5's gate 23 there is a fast track route from the usual Aer Lingus gates to landside and thus to the tube line. But the tube service frequency is only 8 to 11 minutes for much of the day, whereas the airside bus service is more frequent than that. So for T5 to T2 Aer Lingus I would suggest airside since it's not as easy to get landside there, and if you arrive into T5B then there are direct bus services to T2 as well as from T5A.
JD1905 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 4:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mesadler

Depends on your risk appetite and the consequences of missing the direct service, in terms of replacement flights almost certainly involving a connection. Different people will take different appriaches here and quite reasonably so.
Old May 1, 2024, 5:36 am

I am looking to Fly from Glasgow with BA into T5 and it looks like i will be flying with Qatar on a Codeshare BA flight from T4 , What is the least you should allow for transit, Looking at a 2 hour transit time looking at the times, I have only flown once from Heathrow and that was T4 and i was on the underground from Euston.

When landing, Do you go to Landside or stay airside and what transport do you use. It all sounds complicated with arriving on a domestic flight and going on a international flight

Like i mentioned , How much time do you need from Landing in T5 and making sure that you catch the next flight ? I understand if you miss your connection, Then BA has to put you on the next flight (The Booking will be though BA Or Travel Agent acting for BA .
Old May 1, 2024, 6:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
is this on the same ticket or separate tickets - and if the latter do you have checked bags to collect and re-check?
Old May 1, 2024, 6:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by malct
I am looking to Fly from Glasgow with BA into T5 and it looks like i will be flying with Qatar on a Codeshare BA flight from T4 , What is the least you should allow for transit, Looking at a 2 hour transit time looking at the times, I have only flown once from Heathrow and that was T4 and i was on the underground from Euston.

When landing, Do you go to Landside or stay airside and what transport do you use. It all sounds complicated with arriving on a domestic flight and going on a international flight

Like i mentioned , How much time do you need from Landing in T5 and making sure that you catch the next flight ? I understand if you miss your connection, Then BA has to put you on the next flight (The Booking will be though BA Or Travel Agent acting for BA .
all booked on one pnr?

if yes you can transit airside (its a bus), minimum connection time(mct) is 90 minutes i think, but physically takes much less time. Mct is set to allow for small delays on the inbound. BA cannot sell you a through ticket that does not meet minimun connection time. 2 hours would be fine.
Old May 1, 2024, 6:30 am

Yes, Its all on one ticket , So 90 minutes should do it.
I have been looking for information on Youtube expecting BA or Heathrow so make Videos on how to transfer , But i am having no luck on finding anything
Old May 1, 2024, 6:34 am

I have been looking for information on Youtube expecting BA or Heathrow so make Videos on how to transfer , But i am having no luck on finding anything
I don't think it's terribly complicated, just follow the signs to Flight Connections Terminal 4, there is bus trip involved, departing a few hundred metres from your arrival gate at T5. There are lots of data points in this thread if you want complexity but thousands of people manage to connect at LHR every single day without resorting to Youtube. There is an old BA arrival video somewhere in Youtube but it has so many out of date aspects that I couldn't really recommend it.
malct likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 6:38 am

follow the purple signs, these are the flight connection signs.

Its quite straight forward
malct likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 7:29 am

Thank you for your help, So Final question, Everything is Airside? and Just follow the connecting signs and a bus will take me to T4 Airside within the airport , Just like landing at a airport and been bused to the entry of Arrivals and then go through security and into T4 departure lounge . If so, Seems easy
Old May 1, 2024, 7:34 am

Thank you for your help, So Final question, Everything is Airside? and Just follow the connecting signs and a bus will take me to T4 Airside within the airport , Just like landing at a airport and been bused to the entry of Arrivals and then go through security and into T4 departure lounge . If so, Seems easy
Yes it is pretty much as you have worded it and all airside. So long as you bear in mind you specifically want to get to T4 (not any other terminal) then it really is not difficult, a fair percentage of those connecting do so successfully despite not speaking a word of English, so it's not that hard. Just keep your boarding pass or itinerary in your hand after leaving the domestic flight, that is checked along the way., but it's most unlikely that you will need your passport at that stage.
malct likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 9:06 am

New poster to the forum here. I tried to find the answer to my question first by scrolling through (but this thread is just sooo big!) and then through a search, but it didn't seem to bring up just what I was looking for.

So here's my question - we will be arriving at Heathrow from Philadelphia (Terminal 5), business class, and have a five-plus hour layover, before our connecting flight to Edinburgh (also Terminal 5.) All on one ticket, carry on only, so no bags, but they would be checked through in any case.

Will we need to go through security again before our flight to Edinburgh (including liquids in 311 baggie, etc)? I think I heard we would. Also, we would like to use one of the applicable airside lounges for a shower/quick bite to eat, and were wondering which is considered to be the best in this instance? And how to get there. Not sure which part of Terminal 5 we would be arriving at and continuing on from.

TIA for any and all replies!
Old May 7, 2024, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by scraphappy55
New poster to the forum here. I tried to find the answer to my question first by scrolling through (but this thread is just sooo big!) and then through a search, but it didn't seem to bring up just what I was looking for.

So here's my question - we will be arriving at Heathrow from Philadelphia (Terminal 5), business class, and have a five-plus hour layover, before our connecting flight to Edinburgh (also Terminal 5.) All on one ticket, carry on only, so no bags, but they would be checked through in any case.

Will we need to go through security again before our flight to Edinburgh (including liquids in 311 baggie, etc)? I think I heard we would. Also, we would like to use one of the applicable airside lounges for a shower/quick bite to eat, and were wondering which is considered to be the best in this instance? And how to get there. Not sure which part of Terminal 5 we would be arriving at and continuing on from.

TIA for any and all replies!
You will need to clear security in the UK although connections security at T5 has new scanners so liquids and laptops stay in the bag.

You will have access to Galleries Club South where there are showers. I believe there are also showers at the GC in terminal 5B but havent used them since it was refurbished.

Alternatively if your flight arrives in the morning you have time to go landside and use the arrivals lounge where showers should be easier to come by. You can also have some breakfast there before clearing security again to go airside and use any of the galleries lounges - you are likely to be leaving from a gate near galleries club north in T5A so I would suggest being at that end of the terminal but it doesnt make a huge amount of difference.
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.