Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow to Gatwick transport options: a pictorial guide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: miklcct
This guide is for people transferring between Heathrow and Gatwick airports.

For quick and easy: take the taxi.
For cheaper and still fairly quick: take the National Express
For cheap: use the Piccadilly line to Victoria (or Blackfriars) via Barons Court
Or the newest rail alternative: Elizabeth line to Farringdon followed by Thameslink to Gatwick.

Minimum connection time on through tickets is 3 hours. On the ground you need at least 90 minutes to make the connection, using a taxi. If you are late, then a delay taking you to 2 hours 30 minutes for the connection should still be do-able on most of the options listed here.

Details on contactless payment here, this will allow you to avoid queuing for tickets. This works on the Heathrow Express but buying in advance via their website and App is cheaper, with fares under £6 single if booked more than 3 months ahead.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Probably got a general aversion to the underground anyway, so that could be call minimum stairs, avoid underground route...
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The following variant uses the Heathrow Connect service:

This is cheaper than the Heathrow Express throughout but I wouldn't recommend it since the service frequency isn't good and the end to end timing is probably worse than Option 4 below.
I think there is a slight error on the graphic, Contactless is not possible on the HEC from Heathrow to Hayes and Harlington.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
A few updates. BA and Vueling have shifted from LGW North to South. Also worth noting that Megabus is launching Heathrow-Gatwick coaches. Tickets start at £15 online. National Express seems to have dropped to £20 online in response.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:31 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sigma421
AAlso worth noting that Megabus is launching Heathrow-Gatwick coaches. Tickets start at £15 online. National Express seems to have dropped to £20 online in response.
That is interesting. It seems frequency is every 2 hours which would make me cautious of using it. The benefit of the NEX service is there is usually a coach every 10-15 minutes so if you arrive late or arrive early there is rarely much waiting. Good to see that it has at least prompted some drop in the NEX fare.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Thanks for producing such a comprehensive guide.

A small point about Ubers and similar - according to this article it may be that the Ubers at Heathrow are licensed by a different authority than TFL. I am not suggesting this means inferior service.

After changes to the law surrounding taxi licensing, brought in by the Deregulation Act 2015, drivers with a private-hire licence from a local authority can use it to operate anywhere in England and Wales. Previously, the law required drivers to return to the area in which they were licensed between jobs.

Rix said the deregulation of the market and the arrival of Uber had “opened up a real hornets’ nest” all over the UK, where 40,000 Uber drivers now operate in more than 25 towns and cities.
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...gmb-union-says
Old May 23, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hi all, would I need to allow extra time for getting through LHR T5 immigration on a Monday morning? Thinking of getting MAD - LHR landing 08.35. IfIimmigration is usually chocker then I might have to scrap the idea. (Confession... this is actually for getting to work in Dorking by 10am and not Gatwick, so fairly off topic but didn't know where/who else to ask!)
Old May 24, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ajm1987
Hi all, would I need to allow extra time for getting through LHR T5 immigration on a Monday morning? Thinking of getting MAD - LHR landing 08.35. IfIimmigration is usually chocker then I might have to scrap the idea.
(Confession... this is actually for getting to work in Dorking by 10am and not Gatwick, so fairly off topic but didn't know where/who else to ask!)
There are several of these very useful UK airport threads. Most are in the UK forum.
May be here link:- London Airports transfer FAQ: London Heathrow (LHR)
[Due to software downgrade in the last 24hrs links now do not show as blue or under lined]

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 27, 2018 at 5:10 pm Reason: added underscore for clarity
Old May 25, 2018, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
I'm almost certain that Euston Square now has a lift.
Bit of a thread bump, but I only just saw this. Euston Square only has a lift on the south side of Euston Road (Westbound). There are steps between this and the Eastbound platform. If you can't easily lift your luggage, or are a wheelchair user, it is therefore only accessible in the Westbound direction.

It isn't the only station like this, but it jumped out at me in this thread because I've hit this problem while traveling with a wheelchair user.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Hi guys! love the guide. Very comprehensive!

I've got a question:

I'm coming in from BKK to LHR T5 on BA10 in J class (so will have a priority immigration pass) at 17:25 Sunday 30th December and would like to make a connection at LGW South. This will be last flight to Jersey (BA2778- a domestic flight) which is scheduled to depart at 19:25.

Do you think I'm being a tad too ambitious here? I was hoping to prebook my National Express tickets to save a few minutes.

Otherwise I would have to stay the night in the airport hotel, which is less ideal.

Thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ppang
Do you think I'm being a tad too ambitious here?
Short answer: Yes too ambitious

Longer answer: BA won’t let you buy this on one ticket as the Minimum Connection Time from Heathrow to Gatwick is 3 hours. BA doesn’t offer any protection on connections on two separate tickets so missing the second flight would be at your own risk. Sunday 30th December should be quiet on the M25 given it is between Christmas and New Year. However it would still be too big a risk for me. Personally I would pay for a night at the Hilton Gatwick south terminal and take the first flight the next day.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Jonathan Ppang
I'm coming in from BKK to LHR T5 on BA10 in J class (so will have a priority immigration pass) at 17:25 Sunday 30th December and would like to make a connection at LGW South. This will be last flight to Jersey (BA2778- a domestic flight) which is scheduled to depart at 19:25.

Do you think I'm being a tad too ambitious here? I was hoping to prebook my National Express tickets to save a few minutes.
Short answer, no chance.

I take it you don't have an EU Passport, so using Fast Track, it still can take quite some time to get through immigration, maybe 30 mins - it all depends on how many flights arrive at that time, and less Border Force officers will me manning desks at that time of the evening. The Fast Track line is often manned by 2 officers, so all you need is 2 problem travelers, and that line can be stationary for some time.
I doubt you would get out of the terminal under 30 mins, and even if you had a car waiting to drive you direct, which is 39 miles and ignore the speed limit (and your average taxi isn't going to risk his drivers license) to get you to Gatwick it is realistically not enough time to make it before checking closes for that flight.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Sadly, no, Two hours, LHR-LGW with all the Immigration and Bag-Drop limits simply will NOT work. Even the 3-hour MCT is barely achievble, as I know only too well. Anything under 4 hours entails risk!

Enjoy you hotel night at LGW, and subsequently Sunny Jersey (well, probably not over New Year!)
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Thanks folks. I'll take the less stressful option then!
T8191 and lcylocal like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:36 pm

Just to add a quick thumbs up for the BAtransfer (in the wiki) taxi service. Prebooked online at £62 for 2 of us with bags last week from LHR-LGW at 0830 midweek, decent vehicle and driver. National Express wanted £55 (for 2) so really was competitive and much more comfortable.
Had a phone call within about 5 mins of booking to confirm the details, driver called about 15 mins before pick up time to make contact, turned up on time. Can't fault the service. Cheers Flyertalk!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Bronze Executive Club Member
Originally Posted by tinkicker
Just to add a quick thumbs up for the BAtransfer (in the wiki) taxi service. Prebooked online at £62 for 2 of us with bags last week from LHR-LGW at 0830 midweek, decent vehicle and driver. National Express wanted £55 (for 2) so really was competitive and much more comfortable.
Had a phone call within about 5 mins of booking to confirm the details, driver called about 15 mins before pick up time to make contact, turned up on time. Can't fault the service. Cheers Flyertalk!
Whilst I've not used BAtransfer, I have used another private car company and agree if 2+ people, it's not much extra to be greeted by a driver, taken straight to a nice car and setting off straight away. An added bonus that they can take diversions if the M25 is manic also. Unfortunatly if it's just myself, I can't justify the car so take NATEX, although with 6 hours between flights, might take the train options this time via oxford street.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.