Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow to Gatwick transport options: a pictorial guide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: miklcct
This guide is for people transferring between Heathrow and Gatwick airports.

For quick and easy: take the taxi.
For cheaper and still fairly quick: take the National Express
For cheap: use the Piccadilly line to Victoria (or Blackfriars) via Barons Court
Or the newest rail alternative: Elizabeth line to Farringdon followed by Thameslink to Gatwick.

Minimum connection time on through tickets is 3 hours. On the ground you need at least 90 minutes to make the connection, using a taxi. If you are late, then a delay taking you to 2 hours 30 minutes for the connection should still be do-able on most of the options listed here.

Details on contactless payment here, this will allow you to avoid queuing for tickets. This works on the Heathrow Express but buying in advance via their website and App is cheaper, with fares under £6 single if booked more than 3 months ahead.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dougy_D
Whilst I've not used BAtransfer, I have used another private car company and agree if 2+ people, it's not much extra to be greeted by a driver, taken straight to a nice car and setting off straight away. An added bonus that they can take diversions if the M25 is manic also. Unfortunatly if it's just myself, I can't justify the car so take NATEX, although with 6 hours between flights, might take the train options this time via oxford street.
By the way, I should say whenever I've checked recently (the normally reliable) nationalrail website quotes £71 EACH for an 'anytime' train one way from LHR(T3) to LGW. It seems to be ignoring TfL Rail and only showing HEX, not sure why.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:34 am

All the travel planers have the infuriating habit of defaulting to HEX, even when the time saving is so marginal that no one in their right mind would pay it.
That said. I would not recommend planning a trip around the tfl rail service at the moment, cancellations all too frequent. The very small fleet of trains (the only ones certified to operate in the Heathrow tunnels) are increasingly unreliable and there is no sign yet of when the new '345' (Crossrail type) trains will be certified to operate in the tunnels.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We used to use a taxi service between the airports, but in recent times have found NEx perfectly acceptable. They also track their coaches and (I assume) can offer drivers diversion advice. I might, however, be tempted to try BAtransfer on our next one, as we will be LHR T3 and thus on unknown territory! Door to door has some appeal, even though I know where the bus stops are.

Not so sure about their ‘meet and greet’ aspects fm the website, though. They seem to want me to guess how long Immigration and Reclaim is going to take.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
We used to use a taxi service between the airports, but in recent times have found NEx perfectly acceptable. They also track their coaches and (I assume) can offer drivers diversion advice. I might, however, be tempted to try BAtransfer on our next one, as we will be LHR T3 and thus on unknown territory! Door to door has some appeal, even though I know where the bus stops are.

Not so sure about their ‘meet and greet’ aspects fm the website, though. They seem to want me to guess how long Immigration and Reclaim is going to take.
Yes, I took NEx not too long ago when the driver did divert due to traffic, while discussing options with the office.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A new one on me ... smart and well produced card, dropped through the letterbox here in JER today, delivered by Jersey Post. YOYO Cars.

Looking at LGW(S) to LHR(T3) the quote is £61 e/w for a basic saloon for 4 pax, 2 suitcases and 2 carry-ons. I didn't apply the "JE10" discount for the Meet & Greet as that took me too far into the booking process.

Good reviews on TrustPilot ... Has anyone any experience of them?

EDIT: I have no commercial interest in the Company

EDIT 2: Used twice in 2019 (round trips, LGW/LHR with one a hotel drop-off in Stanwell). Very impressed.
Attached Images  

Last edited by T8191; Feb 11, 2020 at 7:25 am Reason: Update
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Just as a quick data point, I had a super-smooth journey last week from LGW(S) to T2, as follows:

13:03 Gatwick Airport - Clapham Junction 13:28
- Quick walk across the overbridge
13:38 Clapham Junction - Feltham 13:59
- Short wait for the 285 bus
14:05 Feltham - Heathrow Central Bus Station 14:30

Definitely a cheap option off peak with Oyster / contactless and not madly out of line duration-wise...
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice if you're not visiting OAPs without Oyster Cards dragging 2 suitcases, of course.

The HBO community deserves a separate Forum
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:13 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
Just as a quick data point, I had a super-smooth journey last week from LGW(S) to T2, as follows:

13:03 Gatwick Airport - Clapham Junction 13:28
- Quick walk across the overbridge
13:38 Clapham Junction - Feltham 13:59
- Short wait for the 285 bus
14:05 Feltham - Heathrow Central Bus Station 14:30

Definitely a cheap option off peak with Oyster / contactless and not madly out of line duration-wise...
must admit I have always gone for the NEX coaches doing the transit but this looks interesting. May try it next time.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
The last time I tried to do the Feltham Bus option in reverse, half of Feltham was being dug up, so I had a forced bus change, followed by a very full train from Feltham to Clapham Junction - this caused by the recent dewirement.

The bus connection is fairly easy though in both directions other than that.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YoYo Cars ... First Report

See Post #80.

We had our first booking with them yesterday, LGW-LHR T3. A nice VW Touran People Carrier with a charming and safe driver, for £70*. Return also booked at same price, and confirmed by 2 separate emails (booking ref with a and b suffix).

Good administration evident on the day too. Notified by text according to arrival time that (1) driver on his way, and (2) driver at meeting point [as per confirmation emails]. These also sent by email, which included name and photo of driver to assist meetup! Usual name-board as well, of course.

According to our driver, they are already well-used by the Jersey fraternity!

One swallow doesn’t make a summer, but if the return trip is just as sweet I can see us being totally loyal!

* Price £66 + £4 parking charge. This £70 was for the quoted ‘estate’, a smaller cheaper car option exists at £61.

EDIT. Return journey just as good (same driver). Now our preferred option for the future.
LCSinTexas likes this.

Last edited by T8191; Feb 28, 2019 at 7:54 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
1) Taxis and private hire minicabs

Private Hire Service Providers
We don't want to get too involved with recommending mincab companies. There are a lot of them, they are regulated by their local government authority (though to a lower standard than London taxis), and there are rarely issues. However we can point to the following:

1) BAtransfer
Despite the name, they have no connection with the airline. However a number of Flyertalkers have used them and are able to recommend this service. It can booked fully online, indeed the website is particularly strong, but they don't have an App. Takes all credit cards including Amex and they are particularly cost effective on this route.
http://www.batransfer.com/ Telephone +44 207 118 0110 Skype: airportonly
Just a quick data point, I booked with BA Transfers today and they don't take Amex. It was £57 and I ended up calling them because my online payment got hung (I think my privacy settings were rather extreme!). Super helpful over the phone; they even called me back as they thought I'd booked the car too far after the flight lands. I had allowed 60 minutes, which is probably a little long.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
For the record I've recently done one X26 transit LGW-LHR T5 and it was a convenient option, taken that the buses on the route X26 have a luggage rack on the lower deck. Traffic is perhaps the only real variable in this option, if you've timed yourself otherwise properly for a bus departure and don't have to wait a lot. I personally only travelled with my carry-on, but a suitcase would've been easy to carry with me as well. Easy to change at Hatton Cross for the freeflow Heathrow transit with Piccadilly line. Although I recommend doing the Central Bus Station, because you get to enjoy nice RWY views on the upper deck. £4.70 is the current off-peak fare for X26 and Southern combined.

It's not on record in this thread or in the FAQ, but the cheapest all rail option at the time being is Piccadilly line: LHR T3-Earl's Court (or switch at Barons Court to save some walking), District line: Earl's Court-Wimbledon, Tramlink: Wimbledon-East Croydon, Southern: East Croydon-Gatwick. In total £6.20 off-peak. And yes, a tram is rail traffic, although not railway traffic.

I was planning to try a Feltham transit this week for comparison, but due to the SWR strike, I rather skip it now, as the reduced service is just every half an hour.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
For the record I've recently done one X26 transit LGW-LHR T5 and it was a convenient option, taken that the buses on the route X26 have a luggage rack on the lower deck.
Googled to see what X26 was.
https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel...k_transfer.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Buses_route_X26
https://tfl.gov.uk/bus/route/x26/
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
,A friend of mine once did the X26 route because he just wanted to try it as he lived in central croydon. He said 'never <expletives > again'. He said it was the worst 90 odd minutes of his life.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Googled to see what X26 was.
Well, if you would've read the guide, you would've noticed the line as a part of this thread.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
,A friend of mine once did the X26 route because he just wanted to try it as he lived in central croydon. He said 'never <expletives > again'. He said it was the worst 90 odd minutes of his life.
I personally had absolutely no issues during my trip and very much enjoyed the views. It seems to me very few here have used X26, so just wanted to pitch in on the subject. The superlative your friend used is very much of an exaggeration. I personally would say it's far more inconvenient to battle the crowds at Paddington or Victoria when transiting between the Tube and National Rail.

One more transit option not covered by the guide, but which I've also done recently (actually only the easyBus part, but can easily see how the whole trip would work): Piccadilly line to Earl's Court, District line to West Brompton (or leave the Tube and walk already from this point, saving the transit hassle) and change to easyBus for LGW South. Or vice versa. Involes a little walkie for Lillie Road in Fulham, but very doable without an entourage of a partner, two children, three suitcases, a service animal and what not.

In fact the aforementioned routing Tube + easyBus is now the cheapest option between LGW and LHR off-peak, costing £1.50 for TfL and £2.00 for easyBus, when you buy a ticket well in advance (weeks, not months ahead), coming out at a whopping total of £3.50.

Now which option would I personally recommend? Well, I haven't yet done a run via Feltham (not even a partial one), so can't comment on that. However I'd probably say it's easiest to do a transit via Clapham Junction and East Croydon, if not choosing National Express. I personally see very little benefit going via Paddington and/or Victoria. The TfL Rail platforms at Paddington are quite remote from the Tube, so not exactly convenient, if in a rush.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.