Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA worker 'suspended for taking backhanders from celebs'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA worker 'suspended for taking backhanders from celebs'

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC silver
As a poorly paid police officer I purchased a £33k 1 bed flat in Walthamstow in 1994, it's now worth circa £330k. A three bed terraced house would have cost me £50k, one is on the market today for £925k. Very easy to see how a lowly paid guy in his 40s could have a house of such vale. I know several constables in £1m houses.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I don't know anything about this person but it does sound like he has a partner, what about their income?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:42 am
J_B

Programs: BA Silver, Club Carlson Gold, Best Western Platinum, Bodean's Q-Card
Originally Posted by NickB
So, you disagreed with the statement that followed my discussion of house prices that "Not that this means anything in relation to the particular individual under discussion here, though. People should avoid jumping to conclusions when they are not in possession of sufficient facts to do so."

And yet, you state a little later "Talking about the value of this guy's house in the context of this story just vindicates the journo's decision to include it."

Has it occurred to you that there might be a contradiction between the two?
To be honest mate I didn't understand what you were telling me off for, only that you were.

You don't have a monopoly on opinions.

Edit: will just add that from your first point I would've agreed that we agreed. Now I'm just confused.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swampz64
As a poorly paid police officer I purchased a £33k 1 bed flat in Walthamstow in 1994, it's now worth circa £330k. A three bed terraced house would have cost me £50k, one is on the market today for £925k. Very easy to see how a lowly paid guy in his 40s could have a house of such vale. I know several constables in £1m houses.
The point is not that it cannot happen. Of course, it can. Rather, it is the idea that this is common place and that there are plenty of people on a 35K income in their late forties that live in 800K houses which is problematic.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by J_B
To be honest mate I didn't understand what you were telling me off for, only that you were.
You were having a go at those of us who were discussing house prices and accusing us of "vindicating the journo's decision to include it" when I had precisely taken care to insist that one should not attempt to draw conclusion from this in the individual case here. It seems to me therefore that you criticism was unfair and I drew this to your attention.

You don't have a monopoly on opinions.
No, but when you criticise somebody else's post, you could at least do them the courtesy of bothering to read what they say first to see whether you criticism is justified or not. And if you happen to have missed it the first time round (which can happen to anybody) then perhaps acknowledging it when it is drawn to your attention would have helped.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:58 am
J_B

Originally Posted by NickB
You were having a go at those of us who were discussing house prices and accusing us of "vindicating the journo's decision to include it" when I had precisely taken care to insist that one should not attempt to draw conclusion from this in the individual case here. It seems to me therefore that you criticism was unfair and I drew this to your attention.

No, but when you criticise somebody else's post, you could at least do them the courtesy of bothering to read what they say first to see whether you criticism is justified or not. And if you happen to have missed it the first time round (which can happen to anybody) then perhaps acknowledging it when it is drawn to your attention would have helped.
I'm sorry if I've offended you then. I was simply stating my view, as we all do. In fact the first part of my post (where we were in agreement, I think) was in part there to set up the second part.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by J_B
I'm sorry if I've offended you then. I was simply stating my view, as we all do. In fact the first part of my post (where we were in agreement, I think) was in part there to set up the second part.
It seems like we were talking at cross purposes. Sorry.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
Blimey, I'm 30 and live in a £1.2m property on which I have no mortgage and don't rent, nor am I a HNWI. Goodness knows what theories you throw out there about me based on that and with no other background info...

Personally, I'm quite intrigued by the actual story, does anyone know more about the extent to which this chap was 'bending' the rules?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Bobbie2013
Blimey, I'm 30 and live in a £1.2m property on which I have no mortgage and don't rent, nor am I a HNWI. Goodness knows what theories you throw out there about me based on that and with no other background
I checked your story with a few Journalist friends. These are the conclusions

Daily Mail - you are a immigrant scrounged with 14 kids and three wives.

Daily Express - brought with the proceeds from pay off by royals in Diana Conspiracy.

The Sun - they need your mobile number before they can come to a conclusion (also you bra size).
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:02 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Worcester
I checked your story with a few Journalist friends. These are the conclusions

Daily Mail - you are a immigrant scrounged with 14 kids and three wives.

Daily Express - brought with the proceeds from pay off by royals in Diana Conspiracy.

The Sun - they need your mobile number before they can come to a conclusion (also you bra size).
The Daily Telegraph - you live with your parents/grandparents.

Financial Times - you bought it via an offshore leveraged buyout on a sale and lease back IPO....

Daily Sport - you're living with Elvis and Shergar.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by bafan
The Daily Telegraph - you live with your parents/grandparents.

Financial Times - you bought it via an offshore leveraged buyout on a sale and lease back IPO....

Daily Sport - you're living with Elvis and Shergar.
Yes Minister appears rather apt here

Sir Humphrey - The only way to understand the Press is to remember that they pander to their readers' prejudices

Jim Hacker - Don't tell me about the Press. I know *exactly* who reads the papers.

The Daily Mirror is read by the people who think they run the country.

The Guardian is read by people who think they *ought* to run the country.

The Times is read by the people who actually *do* run the country.

The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country.

The Financial Times is read by people who *own* the country.

The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by *another* country.

The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?

Bernard Woolley: Sun readers don't care *who* runs the country - as long as she's got big tits.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:29 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
I'm sure that Worcester will correct me if I am wrong (heaven knows I've been wrong plenty of times before!) but I rather suspect that brilliant clip was in his mind when he typed his post.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Yes Minister appears rather apt here

Sir Humphrey - The only way to understand the Press is to remember that they pander to their readers' prejudices

Jim Hacker - Don't tell me about the Press. I know *exactly* who reads the papers.

The Daily Mirror is read by the people who think they run the country.

The Guardian is read by people who think they *ought* to run the country.

The Times is read by the people who actually *do* run the country.

The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country.

The Financial Times is read by people who *own* the country.

The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by *another* country.

The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?

Bernard Woolley: Sun readers don't care *who* runs the country - as long as she's got big tits.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
My bolding - Nick, aren't you doing in the second para what you're accusing people of doing in the first?
Yes
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Swampz64
Exactly. With the rapid house price inflation over the last 20 years, there is no particular significance to be derived from someone in their mid-40s earning £35,000 and living in an £800,000 house.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:37 am
J_B

The irony to all this is that of this guy does (did?) lose his job and chose to write a tell-all book about his experiences working with celebs then those same papers would be falling over themselves to serialise it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.