Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Another one joins the rank of GGL/CCR .. with a whole of 4 BA flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another one joins the rank of GGL/CCR .. with a whole of 4 BA flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I agree.

Of all the undoubted benefits BA Gold endows, the value of domestic lounge access in the US is the most consistently overstated on these boards. With the exception of a small number of what are pretty ordinary FL's the same access is available to Silver members anyway. In addition, as already pointed out, AC membership can be purchased for very little money and, for those with a substantial AA mileage balance, almost nothing at all.
"Unlimited domestic upgrades" is a chimera, though. Check out the upgrades list at the gate before any commercially popular route; even Exec Plats must often fail to get upgrades. And the upgrades on domestic routes themselves, well...certainly it's nicer than being down the back, but, except on the transcons, not by that great a margin.

Also, Avios remain an excellent value for short-haul redemptions in the U.S. even post-devaluation.

Basically, as a regular AA flyer, you'd need to get to at least Exec Plat status before you'd be better off in AAdvantage, and that's assuming decent luck on the upgrades.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by wanderingtheearth
Basically, as a regular AA flyer, you'd need to get to at least Exec Plat status before you'd be better off in AAdvantage, and that's assuming decent luck on the upgrades.
I was referring solely to the value of US domestic lounge access for BA Golds.

As always, whether anybody is 'better off' as a whole will depend upon individual travel patterns. I will just say that, in my own case, I haven't found your point to be valid.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
A passenger taking many QR F or J flights between London and Doha would find better use for their Avios than any Q-miles they might earn and suffer no material loss of benefits.
Really?

Someone regularly flying between LHR and DOH ( with equal status in either ) that wants to redeem for that route would be better off credited to BA ?

AA : redeemed on QR is 30k business and 40k 1st . Redeemed on BA 30l/40k plus fare-disguised-as-tax
BA : redeemed on peak on BA 50k/60k business and 68k/80k 1st class plus srcharges. Redeemed on QR , 60k business / 80k 1st plus surcharges

I have trouble seeing how paying double the redemption cost in miles plus GBP134 (each way) in surcharges is better off redemption wise
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Really?

Someone regularly flying between LHR and DOH ( with equal status in either ) that wants to redeem for that route would be better off credited to BA ?

AA : redeemed on QR is 30k business and 40k 1st . Redeemed on BA 30l/40k plus fare-disguised-as-tax
BA : redeemed on peak on BA 50k/60k business and 68k/80k 1st class plus srcharges. Redeemed on QR , 60k business / 80k 1st plus surcharges

I have trouble seeing how paying double the redemption cost in miles plus GBP134 (each way) in surcharges is better off redemption wise
They would be better off crediting to BA than QR. As you say, there are no doubt other even better options.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
That makes me wonder why those in that situation actually bother crediting their trips to BAEC
I am not in the giddy heights of GGL or CCR but have managed Gold with just 4 BA metal and only 1 of those long haul. For me its very simple.....family accounts... This combined with Amex 241 makes BAEC a good place to credit in the UK.

As the dominant force in the UK in terms of FFP combined with their unassailable position at LHR there is no one else in one world who come close. I have looked at AA and QR but AA is hugely restrictive and QR seemingly unintelligible.

Now should AA offer family accounts I am off like a shot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.