Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Another one joins the rank of GGL/CCR .. with a whole of 4 BA flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another one joins the rank of GGL/CCR .. with a whole of 4 BA flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If able to get the equivalent status on AA ( EP ) , lounge access membership can be purchased at $350 per year ( plus $50 joining ) which could be easily offset by lack of fares-disguied-as-taxes/charges on awards
Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
No partner cards on AA I think, which is something I really value for making my parents' trips across the pond a little nicer (seat selection, fast track and EDI lounge). My travel plans for 2016 will include Asia so I'm contemplating a change. Just booked JFK-HKG-NRT-JFK for more or less the same TP as a recent trip to Seattle (via BOS and PHX).
Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by michalis
Well yeah, but is lounge access all that important to miss out on other benefits?
That's what you essentially get with BA as a Gold.

I find getting upgrades much more important than lounge access.
If I can spend economy money but fly in premium cabins more often than not, I can't see how getting lounge access can balance the substantial cost savings that offers.

In case of connections, yes lounge it's better than not having access but for direct flights I can't be bothered turning hours in advance to "enjoy" the lounge. I would rather be more comfortable in the air.
Well it depends on the pattern of your travel. An upgrade on a European flight on BA is worth very little, whereas lounge access is a huge benefit to me. If there was a magic card that upgraded me from ET to CE on the aircraft, I would not swap that for my current silver card benefits...
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by fourspoons
Well it depends on the pattern of your travel. An upgrade on a European flight on BA is worth very little, whereas lounge access is a huge benefit to me. If there was a magic card that upgraded me from ET to CE on the aircraft, I would not swap that for my current silver card benefits...
When travelling other than "domestically" in the US, lounge access is a benefit for AA members anyway, so an AA EP member would have lounge access too
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by fourspoons
I was replying to not getting lounge access if travelling on Domestic First.
If you are travelling anywhere else you would anyway get that with equivalent OW status.

Regardless in terms of "value" the lounge access is hardly a huge benefit. Based on the price paid to access 3rd party lounges I would say it is worth about £40 per return flight. You anyway have to subsidize that by not booking an HBO fare, so value is reduced to more like £10-15.

That's not taking into account the fact that more often than not you can find cheaper flights with Ryanair, Easyjet etc and often at more convenient times.

The "value" of an upgrade to CE is substantially higher, as evident by the prices BA is charging for it.

I would take the 8 SWUs and unlimited domestic upgrades over lounge access.

Also the OP is taking the minimum of BA flights, so I somehow doubt he flies within Europe that often on One World carriers.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:24 am

Value wise , I would rate the domestic lounge acces at $350 a year max given that is what AA charges for AC membership - plus of course can theoretically use the lounge even if travelling with another carrier

Personally I would rate 8 x systemwide upgrades as worth more than $350 , but others might not
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: BA GfL
I am BAEC Gold but (since retirement) mostly fly domestically in the US. I am still crediting my flights to BA to remain Gold, though--I do want the lounge access, and somehow it seems easier to me to earn Gold each year on BA than an equivalent premium status on AA. I should get to LTG in a couple of years, after which I can start crediting to AA.

To me the requirement of 4 BA flights is something of a game to be played. For my 2016 membership year it will be done via flights between Grenada, St. Lucia, and Trinidad
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by travelmad478
To me the requirement of 4 BA flights is something of a game to be played. For my 2016 membership year it will be done via flights between Grenada, St. Lucia, and Trinidad
My 4 flights are usual easy as I fly once or twice a year to Germany. From SFO that means at least SFO-LHR-HAM-LHR-SFO, giving me the 4 flights.

Most of my flying this year was on AA/US, all in First. I calculated it once that I would not be able to get AA EP, yet BA Gold was very easy. And the particular pattern of flight, I do appreciate the lounge access I get.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If able to get the equivalent status on AA ( EP ) , lounge access membership can be purchased at $350 per year ( plus $50 joining ) which could be easily offset by lack of fares-disguied-as-taxes/charges on awards
There is just a small difference between the average Admirals club and the Concorde room.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
If the CCR was minutely comparable to the Upper House, we'd all be delighted!
KARFA would be our resident expert on that subject^
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rapidex
There is just a small difference between the average Admirals club and the Concorde room.
Or indeed Flagship.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 9:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I remember when I first went in to an AC 18 months ago - I was not impressed. It is a small difference between an AC and the CCR in the same way the Grand Canyon is a small valley!

KARFA would be our resident expert on that subject^
Old Oct 26, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by michalis
I was replying to not getting lounge access if travelling on Domestic First.
If you are travelling anywhere else you would anyway get that with equivalent OW status.

Regardless in terms of "value" the lounge access is hardly a huge benefit. Based on the price paid to access 3rd party lounges I would say it is worth about £40 per return flight. You anyway have to subsidize that by not booking an HBO fare, so value is reduced to more like £10-15.

That's not taking into account the fact that more often than not you can find cheaper flights with Ryanair, Easyjet etc and often at more convenient times.

The "value" of an upgrade to CE is substantially higher, as evident by the prices BA is charging for it.

I would take the 8 SWUs and unlimited domestic upgrades over lounge access.

Also the OP is taking the minimum of BA flights, so I somehow doubt he flies within Europe that often on One World carriers.
I agree.

Of all the undoubted benefits BA Gold endows, the value of domestic lounge access in the US is the most consistently overstated on these boards. With the exception of a small number of what are pretty ordinary FL's the same access is available to Silver members anyway. In addition, as already pointed out, AC membership can be purchased for very little money and, for those with a substantial AA mileage balance, almost nothing at all.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
That makes me wonder why those in that situation actually bother crediting their trips to BAEC
A passenger taking many QR F or J flights between London and Doha would find better use for their Avios than any Q-miles they might earn and suffer no material loss of benefits.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Gshumway
My last points of my membership year have posted and I hit 5,080 points. And I only did 4 flights on BA, the minimum. Oh well.
At least you have admitted it!!

Which goes to show, status displayed on FT profiles doesn't always tell the full story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.