Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What to do with an GUF1 that is about to expire

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2015, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond

Wasn't able to use this one and have already extended it. Due to expire in 2 days. Tried to give it to friends and family and colleagues but no availability and don't want to use a Joker.

Any good ideas...?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 7:58 am

I'll take it
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
... mine almost always expire! Availablity is an issue and I think all but two in my entire BAEC carreer expired unused ... Most frustrating was the recent experience when I tried LHR-KUL J to F, right on booking. Although upgrade was available (as expected on this route) trying to upgrade using GUF1 drove the J fare above F fare price - so I would actually have saved some money paying for F ... Obviously I happily decided to stay in J.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by swiss_global
... mine almost always expire! Availablity is an issue and I think all but two in my entire BAEC carreer expired unused ... Most frustrating was the recent experience when I tried LHR-KUL J to F, right on booking. Although upgrade was available (as expected on this route) trying to upgrade using GUF1 drove the J fare above F fare price - so I would actually have saved some money paying for F ... Obviously I happily decided to stay in J.
Do you need to be in a certain fare class to upgrade? I thought you could upgrade an I fare to A via a TA assuming there is A availability... so why would using the GUF1 impact the price?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR & BAEC Lifetime Gold, VS Red, EK Blue, HH Lifetime Diamond, IHG Gold, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by Swibbz
Do you need to be in a certain fare class to upgrade? I thought you could upgrade an I fare to A via a TA assuming there is A availability... so why would using the GUF1 impact the price?
Precisely what I did earlier this year. I used a GUF 1 to upgrade a sale I class to F to and from JNB. It was excellent value...
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by Swibbz
Well, that's what I thought before. But the BA website tries to book me into J bucket when I try to upgrade using GUF1, although I bucket has a lot of availability ... possibly a website glitch, but rather annoying anyway ...
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by swiss_global
Well, that's what I thought before. But the BA website tries to book me into J bucket when I try to upgrade using GUF1, although I bucket has a lot of availability ... possibly a website glitch, but rather annoying anyway ...
You need to book through a Travel Agent.. won't work booking via ba.com unless you're doing a redemption booking.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:59 am

... the website has a functionality "book with cash and upgrade with Gold upgrade", but it doesn't seem to work properly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.