Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2015, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
What should I do?

As I mentioned before I am going to lose my long standing in Gold. Haven't flown BA this year. My tps are going to be lost in Nov, and I don't know what happens in Dec, anyway, I am due to fly to JFK from CDG.

Here is my question:

Since I will be almost nothing to BA, I am not sure if I want to give them my money. I will, once I am able to collect tps without having them erased the next month.

Should I fly BA or another airline?

AF is out of the question. Never flew LH nor Virgin.

Someone mentioned on another forum that EK flies to JFK from Milan, when I asked my TA he said no.

What should I do?

And please, newbies don't go on the attack, I have been a loyal BA pax but BA hasn't been loyal back, and be nice and gentle. No condescending replies.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
given you're not bothered about TPs, then try something new.

EK do indeed fly JFK to MXP - on the A380. If you are flying F, then bling aside, EK is excellent. Haven't flown J on them.

Last edited by irmster; Sep 20, 2015 at 3:16 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 20, 2015, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Surely the problem here is that if you make one flight with someone else you risk accruing orphan miles. I'm juggling with exactly this for next summer's family jaunt.

How about EI via Dublin? Pre-clearance, can still pick up Avios, and I enjoyed their service. Only have to rough it for the 1hr hop up to Ireland.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
What are you looking for from an airline? If you're nothing to BA you will be nothing to any other airline, but if you don't want to fly with them then how about LH in F (I don't know your budget but you were a regular CCR user). You could do CDG-FRA and then FRA-JFK on the A380 or the 747. LH is a proper premium carrier in F.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
From what I could make out, you didn't make good use of BAEC status / TPs / Avios anyway, so I would count that out of your thinking.

I guess the options are:

1) Stay BA via JFK in First, so no row 1 seat, but apart from that your travel experience is similar to what you are used to, and the CCR will be there for you.

2) Try the BA Openskies service from Orly. It certainly won't be up to BA First standards but it's quite convenient for you. If you are pressed for time on the travel day - and I know you like Orly, then it's certainly cost-effective.

3) If you want to be a little adventurous, you could try the BA1 service from LCY to JFK, the high levels of crew on that make it very similar to First in some respects, though it is a CW branded service - and it's an interesting experience. I think you may like it, it's a very personalised service you get from the crew. You may struggle to do that in one day though.

4) You know you like EK, and while going to MXP will be a hassle (maybe your agent looked at LIN, the main Milan airport?) then once you are there you know you'll probably enjoy it.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by irmster
given you're not bothered about TPs, then try something new.

EK do indeed fly JFK to MXP - on the A380. If you are flying F, then bling side, EK is excellent. Haven't flown J on them.
I love EK, have been flying them lately. And love their F in the 380. Will have to just push my TA to really look into it. Thanks.

The TPs will be wages, am leaving either the 25 or 27 of Sept and TP will disappear in Nov, so if I collect it then they ail pufffff disappear. Useless.

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Surely the problem here is that if you make one flight with someone else you risk accruing orphan miles. I'm juggling with exactly this for next summer's family jaunt.

How about EI via Dublin? Pre-clearance, can still pick up Avios, and I enjoyed their service. Only have to rough it for the 1hr hop up to Ireland.
BA's miles have not been very helpful for me, I have only been able to use them twice, even though a very nice gentleman from here (and you know who you are) has tried to help but they really don't work out for me.

Might do EI,( the pre-clearance is a great idea) and I can always try and take easy jet, I really do like them very much.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:13 am

I'm not sure about the assumptions behind your question. I am a Blue member, something that you would become, but as a Blue member I do not consider myself 'nothing to BA'. I still choose to fly them and receive good service most times. Most of BA's customers are Blue members or have no BAEC status.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
What are you looking for from an airline? If you're nothing to BA you will be nothing to any other airline, but if you don't want to fly with them then how about LH in F (I don't know your budget but you were a regular CCR user). You could do CDG-FRA and then FRA-JFK on the A380 or the 747. LH is a proper premium carrier in F.

What I am looking from BA is a bit more loyalty, at least for someone who pays full fair on F. As I mentioned I (as a family) have only been able to use miles twice, and once I bought a ticket on sale, the one you pay for J then (can't remember how) you upgrade to F, that stupid ticket cost me more than if I paid for F, because I kept changing my return flight. So no more sale tickets for me.

If I fly another airline, of course I won't have status, but then I would feel that I am as equal as the rest. If I flew BA, it would really bother me that I won't get my preferred seat even though I paid full price for my ticket.

This is where I am bothered.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:17 am

You haven't mentioned price at all. Is price an issue or do you just want the nicest experience? It makes quite a difference to the decision-making.

Edit: Your last post suggests price isn't an issue.

May I ask why AF is out of the question? That would be the most obvious choice here and I've heard their new P class is excellent. If it's a safety thing well personally I think that's rather silly; if you've had bad service from them then fair enough.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Sep 20, 2015 at 3:22 am
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
All you have to do is to look at the Emirates website to see a quote for MXP to JFK.
http://fly4.emirates.com/CAB/IBE/SelectPrice.aspx

MXP Depart 15:40 JFK Arrive 19:00
JFK Depart 22:20 MXP Arrive 12:20
A380
EUR 5,425 for First Flex for dates in November (There is also more expensive Flex Plus)

Your TA should be shot!
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:20 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Darling - that sums everything up - they have not been loyal back - still will you not go from Gold to Silver? Others will know.

I will be honest - the London City flight is a very good idea - that BA 1 is a lot nearer the old days with very personal service - but it is not F. It is close and loads cheaper. The wonderful thing is getting through US customs and immigration in Shannon and then arriving in New York as though it was a domestic flight. Wonderful! People speak highly of American these days - I do not hear very much that is positive about United.

What I do think is a bit - I was going to say barmy is flying backwards to Frankfurt and then off across the Atlantic. They are also having all sorts of strikes over a pilot's dispute that still does not seem to be resolved, but that may change. As for traipsing to and fro Milan - well frankly would you go to Paris from New York via Chicago? No. Me neither.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
From what I could make out, you didn't make good use of BAEC status / TPs / Avios anyway, so I would count that out of your thinking.

I guess the options are:

1) Stay BA via JFK in First, so no row 1 seat, but apart from that your travel experience is similar to what you are used to, and the CCR will be there for you.

2) Try the BA Openskies service from Orly. It certainly won't be up to BA First standards but it's quite convenient for you. If you are pressed for time on the travel day - and I know you like Orly, then it's certainly cost-effective.

3) If you want to be a little adventurous, you could try the BA1 service from LCY to JFK, the high levels of crew on that make it very similar to First in some respects, though it is a CW branded service - and it's an interesting experience. I think you may like it, it's a very personalised service you get from the crew. You may struggle to do that in one day though.

4) You know you like EK, and while going to MXP will be a hassle (maybe your agent looked at LIN, the main Milan airport?) then once you are there you know you'll probably enjoy it.
Thanks for the suggestions:

1- As I mentioned above, I would pay full price, last minute ticket yet I can't get my seat and from what I have been reading the CCR has become over crowded..

2-I prefer Orly to CDG, quicker from my house, and less crowded. Easy airport.

3-I might try the "baby bus"? never took it. But why would I not be able to make it in one day? Connections not good? How about AF? Yes I said I won't take them, but a short hop isn't bad. Hopefully they won't be on strike.

4-I really do LOVE EK and its service. Car to pick me and drop me. I don't have to hassle. Will have to get the TA to look at it again. Why is going to MXP a hassle? Check in and check out you mean?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Hang on...

Don't SQ fly FRA-JFK???
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:24 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Sweetie - the AF connection is Cityjet so not really AF.

One last thing - write to the Chairman's Office and tell them what you are doing and why. Let them know the sort of customer they are p***ing off. It's not good enough. PM if you like and I'll give you the email address

PGxxx
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Thanks for the suggestions:

1- As I mentioned above, I would pay full price, last minute ticket yet I can't get my seat and from what I have been reading the CCR has become over crowded..

2-I prefer Orly to CDG, quicker from my house, and less crowded. Easy airport.

3-I might try the "baby bus"? never took it. But why would I not be able to make it in one day? Connections not good? How about AF? Yes I said I won't take them, but a short hop isn't bad. Hopefully they won't be on strike.

4-I really do LOVE EK and its service. Car to pick me and drop me. I don't have to hassle. Will have to get the TA to look at it again. Why is going to MXP a hassle? Check in and check out you mean?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
You haven't mentioned price at all. Is price an issue or do you just want the nicest experience? It makes quite a difference to the decision-making.

Edit: Your last post suggests price isn't an issue.

May I ask why AF is out of the question? That would be the most obvious choice here and I've heard their new P class is excellent. If it's a safety thing well personally I think that's rather silly; if you've had bad service from them then fair enough.
AF is out of the question is because one never knows when they will go on strike

As for safety, that is never a concern for me. Believe me I've taken some flights where there was those fold up seats in the middle of the aisle.

Just their strike record worries me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.