Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyoff
The facility to choose your main course meal before you fly (when travelling First, Club World and World Traveller Plus) is available on the following routes on flights departing from London:

London Heathrow to Accra, Amman, Atlanta, Austin, Bahrain, Baltimore, Bangalore, Bangkok, Beijing, Beirut, Boston, Buenos Aires, Cairo, Calgary, Cape Town, Chengdu, Chicago, Dallas, Delhi, Denver, Doha, Dubai, Durban, Hong Kong, Houston, Hyderabad, Jeddah, Johannesburg, Kuala Lumpur, Kuwait, Lagos, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Madras, Mexico, Miami, Montreal, Mumbai, Muscat, Nairobi, Narita, Nassau, New York (JFK and Newark), Philadelphia, Phoenix, Rio De Janeiro, Riyadh, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose (California), Sao Paulo, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Tehran, Tel Aviv, Tokyo (Haneda and Narita), Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington DC.

London Gatwick to Antigua, Barbados, Bermuda, Cancun, Cape Town, Costa Rica, New York (JFK), Kingston, Lima, Male, Mauritius, Orlando, Punta Cana, Saint Lucia, San Jose (Costa Rica), Tampa, and Trinidad and Tobago

Meal selection will be from the on-board menu; pre-selection is available between 30 days and 24 hours before your flight

Meal selection is only for the main course of the main meal. However, you can click on the menu link to see the full main meal menu.

Starters and desserts cannot be pre-ordered. Items from the second meals cannot be viewed or pre-ordered.

Print Wikipost

The main course pre-order choice thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I normally don't look at the menu for a flight (excluding those on AA!!) until I'm aboard. I needed to make a change to a booking and thought I'd sneak a peak. I'll be on the A380 to LAX this month and the menu offerings are:

• Seared fillet of Aberdeen Angus with salt beef croquette and spinach pomme purée, king oyster mushroom, salsify batons, tomato and gherkin jus
  • Seared sustainably sourced North Atlantic cod fillet, flaked salt cod and pistachio and cauliflower couscous with verjus dressing
  • Glazed pork belly, popcorn pork crackling, cocotte potatoes, roasted baby apples and calvados sauce
  • Main course salad of of warm Szechuan chicken with crisp vegetables and a chilli and soy dressing

I'm a fan of the tasting menu on the A380 (subject to finding agreeable items on the menu) and was surprised not to find the tasting menu as an option. Looking at the above I'm not a fan of the cod or pork belly options and I've eaten the Aberdeen Angus dish too many times already. Finger's crossed that the tasting menu is agreeable or it looks like I'm stuck with the Szechuan chicken.
Yep, I think I'd throw myself in the lucky hands of the tasting menu any day! That said, the beef is nice (as you know already!) and I would also be tempted to give the Szechuan chicken a go otherwise!
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I normally don't look at the menu for a flight (excluding those on AA!!) until I'm aboard. I needed to make a change to a booking and thought I'd sneak a peak. I'll be on the A380 to LAX this month and the menu offerings are:

• Seared fillet of Aberdeen Angus with salt beef croquette and spinach pomme purée, king oyster mushroom, salsify batons, tomato and gherkin jus
  • Seared sustainably sourced North Atlantic cod fillet, flaked salt cod and pistachio and cauliflower couscous with verjus dressing
  • Glazed pork belly, popcorn pork crackling, cocotte potatoes, roasted baby apples and calvados sauce
  • Main course salad of of warm Szechuan chicken with crisp vegetables and a chilli and soy dressing

I'm a fan of the tasting menu on the A380 (subject to finding agreeable items on the menu) and was surprised not to find the tasting menu as an option. Looking at the above I'm not a fan of the cod or pork belly options and I've eaten the Aberdeen Angus dish too many times already. Finger's crossed that the tasting menu is agreeable or it looks like I'm stuck with the Szechuan chicken.
I'm getting the same options for a flight to Denver next month. I'm not sure if I had the Angus before, but I may go for it.

Which routes offer the tasting menu?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:09 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ringingup
I'm getting the same options for a flight to Denver next month. I'm not sure if I had the Angus before, but I may go for it.

Which routes offer the tasting menu?
Currently the Tasting Menu is only offered in First on the A380.

That beef option is quite decent (if it's not overdone).
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Currently the Tasting Menu is only offered in First on the A380
Thanks! Looking forward to trying it on my flight to Washington in April then!

And I'll stick to the beef on the flight to Denver.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)

Eeesh. I'd have thought the number of tasting menus would be the key selection to get right, in A380 F?
Hmm, I wonder if YouFirst could make the requests manually.

Technically, is it lunch or dinner on the LAX flight?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by littlefish
Eeesh. I'd have thought the number of tasting menus would be the key selection to get right, in A380 F?
Hmm, I wonder if YouFirst could make the requests manually...
Quite, that's why I was surprised not to see it on the list.

Originally Posted by littlefish
... Technically, is it lunch or dinner on the LAX flight?
It is a lunch service to LAX. And now there is a light (hot) meal served at the end of the flight instead of afternoon tea ... oh and the bistro menu has returned!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold

Be interested to know if the Szechuan chicken is any good, as I have this menu on my LHR-PHL flight next month...
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
I seem to recall there is a trip report somewhere by some guy who did an excellent TP of an early BA a380 outbound F flight, and he recommended the pork belly.....
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Purim
I seem to recall there is a trip report somewhere by some guy who did an excellent TP of an early BA a380 outbound F flight, and he recommended the pork belly.....
Saw that, but don't like pork, and not keen on the cod, so it's the chicken or the beef....
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Originally Posted by SpurMan
Saw that, but don't like pork, and not keen on the cod, so it's the chicken or the beef....
Can't blame you. But "chicken or beef" sounds a bit too much like WT for me....
Old Sep 26, 2015, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by orbitmic
So let me start. LHR-SIN in F. Main course choices are:

- stir fried prawns in pumpkin sweet corn sauce with garlic scented broccoli, cauliflower and steamed rice
- seared Welsh sea bass and scallops with linguine and fish nage
- Roasted English rack of lamb, shepherd's pie, sauté cabbage, fondant potato, confit carrot and garlic with rosemary jus
- Main course salad of chargrilled chicken with parma ham lardons, Caesar salad, and Caesar dressing

I usually go for the fish in F but am not so keen on the pasta bit, and I love rack of lamb. Has anyone any recommendation for me? Does anyone know if the rack is served as a rack (ie in one piece with the chops attached) or just means a couple "independent" chops? I'm asking because I'm hoping the rack would be less likely to feel overcooked/leathery.
I'm happy to confirm that the lamb was very much the right choice! The rack was served as a mini-rack: two chops attached - still overcooked to my taste, but more than edible, and the shepherd's pie was very nice. As is usual in F, the vegetables were disposed as individual little mounts on the plate, including the couple of cloves of garlic. Overall, the whole plate was one of the better ones I have had in BA F in quite a while and very encouraging.

Of the other choices that I saw in the cabin, the fish dish really looked like a mess, the Caesar salad looked rather uninteresting, but the prawns looked nice too (I'm still glad I went for the lamb) with the prawns rather big.

Starter was a smoked salmon roulade with some sort of cream cheese filling and about 7-8 grains of oscietra caviar as garnish. There was an alternative. The soup was leek and potato and whilst ok, less good than most other BA F soups (which often tend to be one of the best part of the meal). There was salad (honey mustard or vinaigrette) which I did not have.

For pudding I had the warm raspberry and pear cream tart which was very nice (alternative was a chocolate feuillantine) and the cheese which was a bit of a boring selection this time (and did not match the menu description).

They had no trace of my pre-order but I had my choice anyway (GGL helping I presume). In short, if I flew it a second time, I'd make the exact same choice all over again!
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Recommendations for flight LHR X GIG J?

Choices offered:
1. Seared fillet of British beef with caraway and onion braised rice, stuffed baby pepper, mushrooms and stroganoff sauce
2. Sustainably sourced plaice with smoked haddock mousse, mash potato, spinach and fennel with green beans and chunky tomato sauce

Not keen on the other two offered.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lighthand
Recommendations for flight LHR X GIG J?

Choices offered:
1. Seared fillet of British beef with caraway and onion braised rice, stuffed baby pepper, mushrooms and stroganoff sauce
2. Sustainably sourced plaice with smoked haddock mousse, mash potato, spinach and fennel with green beans and chunky tomato sauce

Not keen on the other two offered.
I'd personally go for the plaice.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'd personally go for the plaice.
Thanks for the recommendation.

The choices for my flight was not fantastic to be honest, but that's just my personal taste.

Will the order onboard menu be the same as pre-ordered choices?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by lighthand
... Will the order onboard menu be the same as pre-ordered choices?
Yes, although they are only the main course offerings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.