FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The main course pre-order choice thread
View Single Post
Old Sep 26, 2015, 12:28 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by orbitmic
So let me start. LHR-SIN in F. Main course choices are:

- stir fried prawns in pumpkin sweet corn sauce with garlic scented broccoli, cauliflower and steamed rice
- seared Welsh sea bass and scallops with linguine and fish nage
- Roasted English rack of lamb, shepherd's pie, sauté cabbage, fondant potato, confit carrot and garlic with rosemary jus
- Main course salad of chargrilled chicken with parma ham lardons, Caesar salad, and Caesar dressing

I usually go for the fish in F but am not so keen on the pasta bit, and I love rack of lamb. Has anyone any recommendation for me? Does anyone know if the rack is served as a rack (ie in one piece with the chops attached) or just means a couple "independent" chops? I'm asking because I'm hoping the rack would be less likely to feel overcooked/leathery.
I'm happy to confirm that the lamb was very much the right choice! The rack was served as a mini-rack: two chops attached - still overcooked to my taste, but more than edible, and the shepherd's pie was very nice. As is usual in F, the vegetables were disposed as individual little mounts on the plate, including the couple of cloves of garlic. Overall, the whole plate was one of the better ones I have had in BA F in quite a while and very encouraging.

Of the other choices that I saw in the cabin, the fish dish really looked like a mess, the Caesar salad looked rather uninteresting, but the prawns looked nice too (I'm still glad I went for the lamb) with the prawns rather big.

Starter was a smoked salmon roulade with some sort of cream cheese filling and about 7-8 grains of oscietra caviar as garnish. There was an alternative. The soup was leek and potato and whilst ok, less good than most other BA F soups (which often tend to be one of the best part of the meal). There was salad (honey mustard or vinaigrette) which I did not have.

For pudding I had the warm raspberry and pear cream tart which was very nice (alternative was a chocolate feuillantine) and the cheese which was a bit of a boring selection this time (and did not match the menu description).

They had no trace of my pre-order but I had my choice anyway (GGL helping I presume). In short, if I flew it a second time, I'd make the exact same choice all over again!