Community
Wiki Posts
Search

News from the GGL F&M Event

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfmad
The point I was trying to make in a somewhat lighthearted manner is that the lowest price of a return ticket is not the only criteria on which to judge the value of an airline ticket.
It is of little comfort if your personal valuation of one way and cancellation provisions is £0.00 !
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:14 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Calchas
It is of little comfort if your personal valuation of one way and cancellation provisions is £0.00 !
Are you saying that you've never had a requirement to travel one-way and never required ticket flexibility? I'm not suggesting that it's always necessary but from time to time it has some value.

A good recent example for me is our daughter who is emigrating to Canada. In order to travel she had to complete her degree and get her visa all of which would be resolved close to the date of travel. Using Avios to secure one-way seats with flexibility was an excellent solution.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfmad
Are you saying that you've never had a requirement to travel one-way and never required ticket flexibility? I'm not suggesting that it's always necessary but from time to time it has some value.
Let me try to be a bit more lucid as perhaps my terse answer was rather opaque.

I am saying that for many and probably most travellers it is of marginal value, and in particular at the time the transaction is made probably estimated at 0 value by many, even if later the changeability is valued.

From my own position, if there were an option to buy a non-refundable, non-flex Avios ticket with YQ fixed at £0.00, and there were a second option to instead buy an Avios ticket with the present day flexibility* and refundable provisions at present day YQ, I would almost always pick the former option. Indeed the "YQ" would have to drop significantly before it even became worth considering for >99% of my trips. I think I am not going too far when I speculate to say that this inflex option would be much more popular than the existing high-YQ option.

* On longhaul routes the ability to make changes aside from cancellations is heavily restricted anyway, because the X, P, U, and Z buckets are often zero.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by kingcole974
It's true we have long known of the valueless Y redemptions but ex EU fares are eroding the premium redemptions too. Even ex UK full redemptions were undermined by the Black Friday sale.
With the ex-EU Avios part payment thingy back in October, it was cheaper for me to purchase 4 J tickets OSL-YYC than redeem, even if I could get 4 J reward seats on flights at Easter.

Even with positioning flights, I am the best part of £2k better off (no longer have enough Avios not to have to select the miles plus money option) and I will get 75% of my Avios outlay back in miles flown, miles from the credit card & cabin/tier bonuses

Premium redemptions make no sense at the moment when deals like this come along.

Flexibility isn't an issue on this trip as my dates are fixed anyway

Last edited by Tiger_lily; Jan 21, 2016 at 6:43 am
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
Let me try to be a bit more lucid as perhaps my terse answer was rather opaque.

I am saying that for many and probably most travellers it is of marginal value, and in particular at the time the transaction is made probably estimated at 0 value by many, even if later the changeability is valued.

From my own position, if there were an option to buy a non-refundable, non-flex Avios ticket with YQ fixed at £0.00, and there were a second option to instead buy an Avios ticket with the present day flexibility* and refundable provisions at present day YQ, I would almost always pick the former option. Indeed the "YQ" would have to drop significantly before it even became worth considering for >99% of my trips. I think I am not going too far when I speculate to say that this inflex option would be much more popular than the existing high-YQ option.

* On longhaul routes the ability to make changes aside from cancellations is heavily restricted anyway, because the X, P, U, and Z buckets are often zero.
Agree.

Taxes only for non flex redemption (also available from sale fares)
Taxes + Carrier fee for flexible redemption

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.