Community
Wiki Posts
Search

News from the GGL F&M Event

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You may want to consider, as a GGLer in the making, whether your BAEC address is London, or, say, Lossiemouth. If the former, you may well get something like 3 invitations every 4 years approximately. If the latter you would get a 100% chance of an invitation to all Lossiemouth GGL events. I can't remember when the last one of those was held.
This really ticks me off, why should wife and I be barred from GGL events just because we live in Notts, every BA trip we have taken in the last 12 years has started from LHR or LGW, which means we are more than capable of getting to London.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by jaguarpig
This really ticks me off, why should wife and I be barred from GGL events just because we live in Notts, every BA trip we have taken in the last 12 years has started from LHR or LGW, which means we are more than capable of getting to London.
You would really travel from Notts for a couple of hours and a few nibbles with BA?
Old Jul 17, 2015, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by simons1
You would really travel from Notts for a couple of hours and a few nibbles with BA?
If I could talk to someone who has the authority to make changes to the VLML and the menu in F I'd jump on a plane from ACK.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
Yes.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 5:50 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
I am a fellow Notts resident (who has also never had an invite to a GGL do). Just because my home is in Notts doesn't mean I'm not regularly in London and/or anywhere else. After all the one thing they know about me is that I do a lot of travelling.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by jaguarpig
Yes.
In which case I would write to KW expressing your disappointment.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flibbly
I am a fellow Notts resident (who has also never had an invite to a GGL do). Just because my home is in Notts doesn't mean I'm not regularly in London and/or anywhere else. After all the one thing they know about me is that I do a lot of travelling.
Precisely, typically I spend a good half of my week at least in London despite my residence being in Lancashire.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A few years back I was kindly asked to attend a BA celebration cocktail party at the British Ambassadors pad in Buenos Aires.
As my wife wasn't granted an invitation I decided it wasn't worth making the near six hour round trip on my own.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
A few years back I was kindly asked to attend a BA celebration cocktail party at the British Ambassadors pad in Buenos Aires.
As my wife wasn't granted an invitation I decided it wasn't worth making the near six hour round trip on my own.
I'm really surprised they didn't invite your wife, Hiddy.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You may want to consider, as a GGLer in the making, whether your BAEC address is London, or, say, Lossiemouth. If the former, you may well get something like 3 invitations every 4 years approximately. If the latter you would get a 100% chance of an invitation to all Lossiemouth GGL events. I can't remember when the last one of those was held.
That's interesting. I am in my third year as GGL but have had no invites at all. I shall sulk :-(
Old Jul 17, 2015, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I'm really surprised they didn't invite your wife, Hiddy.
I did get in touch with them to ask if the invitation would allow me to bring her along. They replied informing me I had no guesting privileges.
I suspect if it been Iberia they would have had a more relaxed attitude.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
Originally Posted by hsmall
That's interesting. I am in my third year as GGL but have had no invites at all. I shall sulk :-(
You're in good company...
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Not entirely sure about that T7 is a dump and unless an air side option from T7 to T8 is added the inconvenience of connections remains.
Fair enough, but I suspect the maths shows that the vast majority of premium traffic at JFK is O/D on the US side - or at least originating in NYC. There may be some regional connections happening into JFK, but with flights from BOS, PHL and DC BA likely doesn't see a huge need to serve connections at JFK with this kind of operation. Anyone from PIT west is more likely to connect in Chicago, I would just for the longer flights at the still excellent F dining service there. And ORD does in fact have this service.

I still hope they do it if the long term solution is to keep two terminals (growth of OW would seem to suggest a need for this). For me, SFO-JFK-LHR is by far the easiest last minute F redemption out there, with the excellent A transcon seats, the CCR and the ability to make basically any onward connection I might need due to early arrival in London, it's not a bad way to run over to Europe in a family emergency. I do realize it's not a top priority for BA to serve someone like me
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
Fair enough, but I suspect the maths shows that the vast majority of premium traffic at JFK is O/D on the US side - or at least originating in NYC. There may be some regional connections happening into JFK, but with flights from BOS, PHL and DC BA likely doesn't see a huge need to serve connections at JFK with this kind of operation. Anyone from PIT west is more likely to connect in Chicago, I would just for the longer flights at the still excellent F dining service there. And ORD does in fact have this service.

I still hope they do it if the long term solution is to keep two terminals (growth of OW would seem to suggest a need for this). For me, SFO-JFK-LHR is by far the easiest last minute F redemption out there, with the excellent A transcon seats, the CCR and the ability to make basically any onward connection I might need due to early arrival in London, it's not a bad way to run over to Europe in a family emergency. I do realize it's not a top priority for BA to serve someone like me
Don't forget bringing EI and IB into the mix and the connections back to DUB and MAD where City pairs are not served directly. This is an IAG issue rather than a BA one specifically.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I did get in touch with them to ask if the invitation would allow me to bring her along. They replied informing me I had no guesting privileges.
I suspect if it been Iberia they would have had a more relaxed attitude.
You didn't think of just turning up and accosting other people in the queue, I'm disappointed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.