Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

checking through baggage on separate tickets - AY to BA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator

We'll be flying MUC-HEL on the 15th with AY and on the 16th we'll be flying HEL to SEA via LHR and ORD with BA (last segment of course with AA). It's two separate tickets. Any chance we can check our bags through to SEA at MUC? Even with us overnighting at HEL?

In case we can't check it trough - does anybody know, when BA's bag drop at HEL opens in the morning? We're on BA795 departing at 7:55.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:26 am
db7

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, BA ,
BA check in opens two hours before the flight at HEL
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:09 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Should not be a problem. Helsinki airport can handle overnight luggage. Actually Finnair is asking people to check in on previous night during busy (school Holiday) seasons.

You need to pay a visit to check in counter or early at gate to show your luggage tag(s). Luggage information is not passed between AY and BA if separate tickets. See here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...botherers.html
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
Any chance we can check our bags through to SEA at MUC?
You'll have to manually retrieve and recheck at ORD, regardless. It's the American way*. Tags will already have been applied, though.

*Well, it's their Customs.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all.

So - on the return it would be the same? Staying over night then too.

Originally Posted by AtlanticX
You'll have to manually retrieve and recheck at ORD, regardless. It's the American way*. Tags will already have been applied, though.
I know. *sigh* It's been quite a while I connected after immigration but I remember the drill.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by temppa
Should not be a problem. Helsinki airport can handle overnight luggage. Actually Finnair is asking people to check in on previous night during busy (school Holiday) seasons.

You need to pay a visit to check in counter or early at gate to show your luggage tag(s). Luggage information is not passed between AY and BA if separate tickets. See here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...botherers.html
Strange, I had OUL-HEL-LHR-BRU, with the last segment on a separate BA booking, and my bags made it without me having to show my baggage tags. Good to know for the future, if this indeed is standard procedure.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Check-in agent in MUC refused to check through. She said it was not possible. I didn't feel like arguing so I didn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.