Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate desk botherers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:09 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by FoxtrotOscar
The gate is open, but boarding not due to start for another 10 minutes. Half the passengers are seated, the rest loitering near where the lines are due to form.

Every minute or so, passengers in their ones and twos approach the desk, spend a few minutes in conversation with the ground staff and then shuffle back to the pack.

Now, can someone explain to me the phenomenon of desk bothering?

What is it that these people are trying to achieve? What questions can they possibly be asking? Upgrades? Seat changes? Did the plane leave without me? Is this the right gate for the destination clearly marked on the screen? What's the capital of Peru?
They could be on standby, waitlisted for something, etc. Many possibilities. Why does it bother you?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
This has to be the one thing that I hate the most about flying. Usually the boarding process in Vienna descends into complete chaos because as soon as the agents make an announcement the whole 'herd' heads for the front of the gate area. By then no matter what the agent announces regarding the boarding process, it is completely pointless because business and status passengers don't have a chance to get on first. Boarding with BA in London often ends up the same way, and I wish they'd tell tell people to just sit down (as they did for my last flight!) instead of hovering by the desk. I reckon that about 20% of the lingerers are asking geniune questions and the others are just being a bloody nuisance.

In Bratislava they have the answer to this boarding problem which works a treat. They have 2 separate waiting areas, one for priority passengers and the other for the rest. They won't won't open the door for standard passengers to board until all priority passengers have gone. It's so simple but works very well.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by KerryMLC
Is there any way to get the telephone number for my gate so I can ring ahead with my last minute requests?

;-) [Feels suitably sheepish...]
Don't they have phone connections to the plane now? 😉
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I too always wonder what people are talking about. I suppose this is because I consider myself to be a low maintenance flyer who just gets on with it and only speaks/seeks assistance if absolutely necessary or if there is a problem, but I imagine others are more sociable .

Similarly I also often wonder what people at check in are doing. When I check in bags it usually takes me two minutes, but I often see persons spending ages at the check in desk seemingly engaged in lengthy and sometimes animated conversation and it makes me speculate what on earth they are talking about. Checking in should be a quick and straightforward process.

Last edited by South London Bon Viveur; Jul 6, 2015 at 1:57 am
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by ckx2
But it's BA that sells upgrades at the gates, so why shouldn't one ask?
I was un-aware BA sell upgrades at the gate.

I was actually talking about the comp / waitlist type upgrades on flights within the US.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:59 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
When doing separate ticket connections, you have to ask gate agent to verify and/or enter luggage tag numbers to BA system. I rather do this before boarding not to hold the line at boarding stage.

This is "mandatory" step at least when connecting from CX or AY to BA. My luggage has been left behind several times if the linking is done at boarding time, they just not have sufficient time to load the luggage when boarding begins.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by stewaran
I was un-aware BA sell upgrades at the gate.

I was actually talking about the comp / waitlist type upgrades on flights within the US.
I was once given an Op-Up that was obviously going to beep at the gate (I had seen it on the app but was using a paper boarding pass) so I went up and asked about it so that I could use priority boarding since I was only a bronze at the time.

It was a family-packed LGW-MCO so definitely helped the boarding process
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:40 am

But it's BA that sells upgrades at the gates, so why shouldn't one ask?
BA sells upgrades on selected flights only at check in - not at the gate. Certainly, at Heathrow, by the time the Gate Team have arrived, it is probably too late to order extra Club or First catering.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My perception/experience is that the two most common queries on BA are:

1) Can I move my seat? Particularly on full flights, which seems to be most of them, and it seems to affect older people more, who I suspect didn't do OLCI and found their group split up.

2) Do I have time to go to the bathroom before boarding starts? The answer to this is always "yes" incidentally! In that last one is often an anxiety among some passengers that somehow the service will board in seconds and they will somehow miss their flight, so any unexplained delays causes anxious moments and questions. Sometimes the passenger information monitors will say something like "Gate info will be displayed at 10:20", or "Boarding will commence at 10:20", by 10:23 people will be queuing up to ask about it!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:16 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by bealine
BA sells upgrades on selected flights only at check in - not at the gate. Certainly, at Heathrow, by the time the Gate Team have arrived, it is probably too late to order extra Club or First catering.
Then it must have been magic that I was able to purchase WT > CW upgrades at the gate at LAX and LAS? Plus the latest one at LHR approx. 20 minutes before boarding was announced?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:18 am

Then it must have been magic that I was able to purchase WT > CW upgrades at the gate at LAX and LAS?
Sorry, I am talking LHR. The outstations sometimes do their own thing, although they are not supposed to, because we are all supposed to be consistent!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Then it must have been magic that I was able to purchase WT > CW upgrades at the gate at LAX and LAS?
Yes, some outstations are different, particularly when the main corps of ground agents don't have the skills to do it, but typically those operating the gate have been trained up. So depending on the airport, you may find it necessary/easier to arrange at the gate. Won't work in most places though, and certainly not LHR, LGW, LCY. LHR has customer service desks airside which can do it, but the LGW and LCY can't do upgrades airside. Nor can any domestic location (maybe excepting EDI lounge unofficially).
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: LH HON
That makes sense!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
If I am connecting with checked bags, I will ask at the boarding desk whether my bags have made the flight.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:36 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Then it must have been magic that I was able to purchase WT > CW upgrades at the gate at LAX and LAS? Plus the latest one at LHR approx. 20 minutes before boarding was announced?
Hmmm. Did you pay cash?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.