Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2016, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clansman
Long time browser, first time poster.
I've been upgraded twice in the last 18 months.

Last year returning from Bahrain, got upgraded at the gate from WTP to CW for my first taste of BA Business.

Then a few weeks ago going back to Bahrain got upgraded from Economy to CW at OLCI, had just gotten to silver so was hoping for a bump to WTP but delighted with going all the way to 15A!

Another 4 or 5 flights out there this year so fingers crossed!
Welcome aboard Clansmen and welcome indeed to the BA forum.

Congratulations on your upgrades, first of many more I hope!
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA GCH
Last week; LHR to NBO, Kenya.

3 of us upgraded 24hrs out (just before online checkin) from WTP to CW. [4/5 WTP to CW upgrades in the last 12 months(!) for me - I guess just lucky on routes/oversold economy]

I'm GCH, colleagues are Silver and Blue. Interestingly I noticed the change 26hrs out; 1 colleague had selected a meal option for the WTP, but his seat wasn't yet showing in CW, so I quickly cancelled the meal selection. Then at 24hrs out, he was given a seat number in CW. I wonder if this may have otherwise stopped an upgrade...

Economy oversold again. Bumped to up Upper deck and the magic 64A

Last edited by roarss; Aug 1, 2016 at 3:14 pm
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

My mum and myself were upgraded at the gate at LHR T3 on 17th July from CW to F on the BA271 to Las Vegas

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
A rather unexpected and very welcome one last week: I was flying LHR-DUS on an ET award to position for an ex-EU trip. I'd even packed half a lunch to supplement what was going to be handed out. But there was the beep at the gate, the reader said "CHECK SEAT", the agent said "It's a possible upgrade" - and 2A was mine. It added to a comfortably relaxed day in the CCR even if I ended up having to do a lot of work instead of enjoying all of the hospitality.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
I got an upgrade today at check in for my LHR > JFK. The agent didn't even mention it, I only noticed when I looked at my BP when going through security. Now sitting quite comfortably in J ready for a takeoff on 27R.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
This weekend I got my first ever short-haul upgrade after 10 years with BA, and what a pyrrhic victory it was.

CDG-LHR, full flight, moved from 23C on a European 321 to 7F. Lost my unlimited leg room and not provided with any CE catering (which was made worse by my seat mate taking her salad and leaving it untouched on the table between us).

I tried to turn down the upgrade at the gate knowing what was in store, but apparently I couldn't have my original seat back for 'health and safety reasons'. As far as i could see, the only benefits were being able to drink my tea out of a proper cup and getting off the aircraft a minute earlier.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
This weekend I got my first ever short-haul upgrade after 10 years with BA, and what a pyrrhic victory it was.

CDG-LHR, full flight, moved from 23C on a European 321 to 7F. Lost my unlimited leg room and not provided with any CE catering (which was made worse by my seat mate taking her salad and leaving it untouched on the table between us).

I tried to turn down the upgrade at the gate knowing what was in store, but apparently I couldn't have my original seat back for 'health and safety reasons'. As far as i could see, the only benefits were being able to drink my tea out of a proper cup and getting off the aircraft a minute earlier.
You should ask for compensation!
Had my first opup on BA for nearly 5! years last week (usually travel further up front) and just like the previous speaker was moved from an exit seat with acceptable legroom to 2A which meant having my knees touching my jaw or sitting sideways... but at least they offered me supper (which I declined due to a long lunch and some grub in T5 lounges).
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
First ever "upgrade" today MAD - LHR BA459. It was BA metal swapped to IB metal a while back, so had BA catering. I was originally in exit row 12, moved to row 6. No CE catering loaded, just the snack box. Like crazyanglaisy I'm not really sure this counts as an upgrade.

However, my full itinerary was SCL - MIA - JFK - MAD - LHR, with an 11 hour shopping stop over in NYC. By this stage I no longer cared where I was sat and just wanted to get home. Sadly not all my luggage made it with me... *sigh*
Old Aug 8, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
After worrying about not getting POUGs,boarding pass for LHR-PHL jumped from W to J at connections. Combined with my first time in the Flounge (and some JW Blue), it made for a memorable and very pleasant day.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Fri 05-Aug
LHR - TXL HBO magic beep at gate. 11A > 3D
Never been upgraded on a intra-euro flight before, so can't complain.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Not BA, but on a holiday TP run; got SEATING ISSUE at the gate when boarding the A380 from DOH to BKK this morning on QR. Bumped from J to seat 1K in F! Had to leave my two travel companions back in row 11.

An absolutely fine way to start the trip
Old Aug 14, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
I've had two in 7 days now. Outbound LHR to JFK and the same inbound. Thank god for the super hi J 744! ;-)
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
Last night was lucky to be upgraded from WTP to Club on LHR to Mumbai.

Happened to refresh the app whilst in lounge and found out the good news. Both myself and a colleague. Y was oversold apparently.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: LX FT*
Yesterday, WT to WT+ on LHR-BOS, happened about 10 hours before flying, noticed it in the app. BA Silver, traveling solo. Sat next to a OW Emerald (CX) who was also moved from WT to WT+ - Economy rammed, in fact everything looked full, very thankful.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 3:11 pm

Always been very loyal to BA for many years, but never been upgraded.
Last week on my first ever flight outside the OW universe with Lufthansa RUH-FRA, I got upgraded on the gate from PE to business without any SA status. I guess it was overbooked as the MUC flight got cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.