Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2019, 2:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yabadoo
How common is it for Oneworld Emeralds to get upgraded on BA flights? I am an AA EXP and only once have I received an upgrade (WTP-CW) 10 years ago, since then I have traveled a lot on long-haul BA, but seems like upgrades are mostly given to BAEC members and not Oneworld.
Five BA flights for me this year where I was eligible for an upgrade. One CW, three ET, one WT. I got an upgrade on the WT one. I think a lot of it depends on the route, I was flying LGW-MCO which I imagine is not frequented by many elites of BA or anyone else. Otherwise I imagine it's tougher.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere in the thread, but are upgrades in Europe always decided in LDN in the 'back room' or at outstations?
In our example, we were returning from BCN to LHR, the flight was full (partly because the flight before had been cancelled I think, but Expertflyer has said all 9 flights that day were very busy before the weather-related cancellations and delays). We were on a rtn section of an avios redemption, had chosen 12A/B in Y, and were 'elevated' via the app in the lounge to Club, albeit in different rows (5/6).
Old Oct 5, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH *S
Upgraded at the gate WTP to CW 2 Oct BA278 SJC-LHR. I'd been offered (and declined) a paid upgrade for around $900 at check-in. While in the lounge I noticed my seat had (silently) changed in the app. Didn't want to get my hopes up but waiting at the gate a long list of names started to be called out to visit the counter (mostly for passport checks I think) and then my name was called ... great way to finish my trip! As an aside had a great flight and I thought the CC were excellent.
TTmex likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 6:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
are upgrades in Europe always decided in LDN in the 'back room' or at outstations?
By computer, no idea where it lives but presumably in West London or Bangalore. I would estimate 98% are DUT led, so it matters not where you are. On the margins, there may be cases at out-stations where something is only discovered at the last moment (e.g. a broken seat discovered during boarding) so crew or ground staff have to make a decision quickly. Then there are very limited circumstances when the SCCM can use their discretion to upgrade to fix problems. But DUT is built into FLY and can automatically, rapidly work out who should get an upgrade.
Dicksbits likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Earlier this week I came across an Instagram story that was publically shared globally of a MF crew member on a long haul route which upgraded her friend to First on the flight she was working on. Is this kind of behavior really allowed or an infringement of business conduct?
Old Oct 5, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
By computer, no idea where it lives but presumably in West London or Bangalore. I would estimate 98% are DUT led, so it matters not where you are. On the margins, there may be cases at out-stations where something is only discovered at the last moment (e.g. a broken seat discovered during boarding) so crew or ground staff have to make a decision quickly. Then there are very limited circumstances when the SCCM can use their discretion to upgrade to fix problems. But DUT is built into FLY and can automatically, rapidly work out who should get an upgrade.
Is it the same system that sets the POUG prices - and who gets such 'offers'?
Old Oct 5, 2019, 12:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by CKBA
Is it the same system that sets the POUG prices - and who gets such 'offers'?
No, that's a separate gizmo. There is some randomising aspect to it, such that you can't rely on them being offered*, but the key factor is whether it can be computed via Self Serve. So too much complexity, too much alteration, you won't get a POUG 'cos the hamster falls out of the wheel.

Some of your recent POUG examples seem way off the POUG scale and look suspiciously like Fare Differences instead, but if it's shown as a Time Limited Offer then it's officially a POUG, the key point being that your base ticket stays the same rather than become a new fare.

* there are cases reported of people travelling with identical tickets, one person being offered a POUG, the other not, and just occasionally it will be SIlver = Good, Gold = Bad.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would estimate 98% are DUT led. DUT is built into FLY and can automatically, rapidly work out who should get an upgrade.
Thanks for the reply. I've flown on many sold out flights as Gold in Y and never been upgraded. Is it possible that the computer assesses revenue spend? We've spent thousands lately on BA flights.

Excuse my ignorance but what does DUT stand for?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 2:02 am

You probably need to be travelling in WTP to see the benefit of this. BA flies with a lot of status passenger in ET and WT, depending on the route, so no-one's chances there would be that good. But in WTP, being a small cabin, the chances would be somewhat higher, even though, paradoxically, that cabin is status rich (again a generalisation which varies between routes).

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Excuse my ignorance but what does DUT stand for?
Discretionary Upgrade Tool. It's an Amadeus originated module like Theoretical Seating, where BA can configure the beneficiaries to suit their business needs.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
LHR-MXP 02Oct - 2 travellers on booking , upgraded from ET to CE on a full Avios redemption booking but seats split up post upgrade. We were originally seated on exit row in ET.

Last edited by k146; Oct 7, 2019 at 8:07 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: BAEC- Silver
We were upgraded at the gate YYC to LHR from WTP to CW last week. We are both blues!
DanAirLondon likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:25 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by icegirl
Earlier this week I came across an Instagram story that was publically shared globally of a MF crew member on a long haul route which upgraded her friend to First on the flight she was working on. Is this kind of behavior really allowed or an infringement of business conduct?
Of course you're assuming the story is true. People love to stunt for the 'gram and it's possibly the crew was just making it up for attention.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
LHR-AMS today travelling with my nephew we were OpUp’d to CE travelling on RFS. I noticed my seat change in the app about 90 minutes before departure time. I’d only passed through security about 15 mins before.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
JTR to LHR. Having been offered 239 per person upgrade at check-in I declined. At gate (if you can call it a gate in JTR) the notorious beep. Upgraded from exit row to row 1 ( me gold, wife silver). No new boarding passes, just told the seat numbers, felt a bit odd, enjoyed service very much!
Old Oct 25, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
Santorini for those (like me) who have gaps in their IATA airport codes!

Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
JTR to LHR. Having been offered 239 per person upgrade at check-in I declined. At gate (if you can call it a gate in JTR) the notorious beep. Upgraded from exit row to row 1 ( me gold, wife silver). No new boarding passes, just told the seat numbers, felt a bit odd, enjoyed service very much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.