Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by TATLTale
Before my flight last Friday, I was proactively given food to take on the flight with me. And not just for me, but also for my wife at the other end, since I made a comment that she would be jealous about my crisps (Canada being significantly lacking in the crisp department).

There are no signs in the lounges telling people not to take food. In the past they have actively encouraged it, and staff members are allowed to do so still - which suggests that lounge management, however it works, hasn't made an issue out of this at all.

Why, then, are FlyerTalk members so concerned with policing the consumption of other lounge users? I appreciate some people might see the behaviour of sticking 4 cans of Coca Cola in a carry on as tacky. For me, I find the sanctimonious, ultra vires judging of people - be it for the delayed consumption of a few pennies of crisps, or taking an ex-EU flight - to be far, far tackier and repulsive.
Intriguing, what is so repulsive? Those who take advantage of such fares are buying legitimate fares offered for sale by the airline concerned. I wouldn't call them repulsive but savvy!

If it is intended that lounge F&B is available to be removed from lounges, why do so many do it in a clandestine manner? Only last week at the BA MAN lounge an agent told a gentleman stuffing several packets of crisps and cans in to his carry on that 'refreshments are for consumption in the lounge, sir'.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Intriguing, what is so repulsive? Those who take advantage of such fares are buying legitimate fares offered for sale by the airline concerned. I wouldn't call them repulsive but savvy!
The poster wasn't saying those who buy ex EU fares are repulsive. He was saying those who judge people who do buy them are repulsive.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by paul4040
The poster wasn't saying those who buy ex EU fares are repulsive. He was saying those who judge people who do buy them are repulsive.
Ah, that makes more sense. I mustn't have been fully awake when I first read that

Although I don't see what's repulsive, this is just a harmless discussion topic that's not intended to be taken too seriously
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Originally Posted by TATLTale
For me, I find the sanctimonious, ultra vires judging of people - be it for the delayed consumption of a few pennies of crisps, or taking an ex-EU flight - to be far, far tackier and repulsive.
Labelling people who hold an opposing view as judgemental, sanctimonious and repulsive could be considered to be judgemental etc could it not? Opposing views are welcome here, as is civilised polite discussion and accepting that people can be different without being wrong.

Sorry to hear about the crisp situation in Canada.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Ned1968
... Sorry to hear about the crisp situation in Canada.
Ha ha ha

I've made several trips to Canada this year and I've had no problem finding a packet of crisps - although they call them potato chips (perhaps that's the confusion ). Nevertheless there is still a large selection of flavours available.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:06 am

I really think this matter hinges on what the airline's policy is on consumption of lounge food, and it does appear to be unclear.

But, if the official policy is that all food and drink is for lounge consumption only, then yes, taking items outside of the lounge is theft. If not, then it isn't.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:12 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I really think this matter hinges on what the airline's policy is on consumption of lounge food, and it does appear to be unclear.

But, if the official policy is that all food and drink is for lounge consumption only, then yes, taking items outside of the lounge is theft. If not, then it isn't.
Yes. And if only there were some way to find that out. Like asking the lounge staff...
Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Think someone had stolen most of the chairs in the FLounge yesterday afternoon. It was packed.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Pinching a few things from the lounge is fine. I usually take a pack of crisps to have with my onboard drink as I'm not keen on the nuts. Water is a different matter. I get it free with the Telegraph that I have to buy from WH Smith as the option to steal that from the lounge has been "enhanced"
Old Jun 9, 2015, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Silver
Sorry, my point is coming from a fairly inexperienced point of view. This August will be my first CW trip on BA and therefore first foray into the Galleries lounge, however I have experienced other lounges inc Abu Dhabi (which was very nice).

I have to ask...how hungry does someone really have to be to take a surplus supply of food from the lounge...I mean I can understand a bottle of water etc, maybe a choccie bar... but these stories of filling ones boots?...You are going to be getting onto a flight where you will most likely be fed, watered etc and there will be snacks in effect. I just think its all a little unnecessary and that people take it because its free...if it wasn't, would you buy it? If not, then consider if it's needed it in the first place.

It's a psychological thing and perhaps I'm being a bit of a curmudgeon here, but does one constantly need to snack throughout the whole experience? In a slightly less annoying way it reminds me of the people you get in the cinema managing to consume their own bodyweight throughout the movie... popcorn, crisps, hotdog, minstrels, an endless stream of sugar and saturated fat being pushed into their faces ...what's that about...are they never going to eat again, what happened to breakfast? Or lunch?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 5:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I've had no problem finding a packet of crisps - although they call them potato chips
Try and find Hula Hoops anywhere in North America!!
Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Adam Shaw
Sorry, my point is coming from a fairly inexperienced point of view. This August will be my first CW trip on BA and therefore first foray into the Galleries lounge, however I have experienced other lounges inc Abu Dhabi (which was very nice).

I have to ask...how hungry does someone really have to be to take a surplus supply of food from the lounge...I mean I can understand a bottle of water etc, maybe a choccie bar... but these stories of filling ones boots?...You are going to be getting onto a flight where you will most likely be fed, watered etc and there will be snacks in effect. I just think its all a little unnecessary and that people take it because its free...if it wasn't, would you buy it? If not, then consider if it's needed it in the first place.

It's a psychological thing and perhaps I'm being a bit of a curmudgeon here, but does one constantly need to snack throughout the whole experience? In a slightly less annoying way it reminds me of the people you get in the cinema managing to consume their own bodyweight throughout the movie... popcorn, crisps, hotdog, minstrels, an endless stream of sugar and saturated fat being pushed into their faces ...what's that about...are they never going to eat again, what happened to breakfast? Or lunch?
Not quite the same, but I frequently travel to HKG or SIN with my colleagues. I am normally in CW/F and they are usually in WTP and don't all have status. So when passing through T5C I used to (until it was removed) use my £15 to buy them some sandwiches and snacks for the flight at Starbucks. It is a long way to fly and they don't have access to the club kitchen or on demand dining. I think it is a nice thing to do. Is it stealing because I don't intend to eat any of it myself and if I wasn't travelling with a colleague I wouldn't bother? Not in my mind. Now I really don't see any distinction between this and removing things from the lounge on the same grounds as long as I have checked with staff that it's ok.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Adam Shaw
I have to ask...how hungry does someone really have to be to take a surplus supply of food from the lounge...I mean I can understand a bottle of water etc, maybe a choccie bar... but these stories of filling ones boots?...You are going to be getting onto a flight where you will most likely be fed, watered etc and there will be snacks in effect.
Don't forget that many of the lounge passengers will be travelling short haul, where the food offering in ET is pitiful.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:24 am

Bits n pieces are fine.

Whether or not one agrees with taking anything at all, there's a general consensus on crossing the line between a bag of crisps and filling a cabin bag full of stuff.

If BA's stated policy was at least consistent in their lounges, especially in the UK, it would be helpful though.

Yet he (or she) who is without sin...
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:37 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Not quite the same, but I frequently travel to HKG or SIN with my colleagues. I am normally in CW/F and they are usually in WTP and don't all have status. So when passing through T5C I used to (until it was removed) use my £15 to buy them some sandwiches and snacks for the flight at Starbucks. It is a long way to fly and they don't have access to the club kitchen or on demand dining. I think it is a nice thing to do. Is it stealing because I don't intend to eat any of it myself and if I wasn't travelling with a colleague I wouldn't bother? Not in my mind. Now I really don't see any distinction between this and removing things from the lounge on the same grounds as long as I have checked with staff that it's ok.
Oh dear - sharp intake of breath around FT right now .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.