Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by HilFly
I'm sure if BA have a problem with passengers taking drinks and snacks from the lounge, BA will do something about it.
maybe these " thefts" increase costs, therefore they are forced to introduce enhancements ?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by dylanks
I've had Admirals Clubs actively encourage me to take food and drinks on occasions where I only have a few minutes in the lounge. Smaller outstation BA lounges will also often ask if you want to take any water or small snacks for the flight.

The BA lounge in PHX gives everyone a small Toblerone upon exiting the lounge.

Otherwise I don't take anything, other than perhaps a half finished bottle of water.
BA's stated position at both LGW and LHR is that you can take food and drinks away for your flight. They put up signs stating this when they reduced the SH Y and DOM catering. At the time they even put out boxes and bags to help you carry these items.

Clearly the intention was that you only take single use items intended for one person's consumption - not bottles of Champagne or JW Blue Label.

Similarly, when newspapers, and before that magazines, stopped being provided in CE, BA advised passengers to take these from the lounge.

Where BA do not want this to happen, there are clear signs to that effect. For instance, at JER there is a sign in the Terraces lounge which says that food and drink are for consumption in the lounge only and the newspapers and magazines are stamped to say that they should not be removed.

Don't let anyone on here kid you that removing small items of food and drink is theft. It is not - BA told you (in fact encouraged you) to do it. We will have someone along to say I am wrong. To which I say where, when and how have BA communicated any change from the policy they set out above very publically and in writing.

... And no, I don't think everything you cannot do needs to be written down, but if you expressly state that you can do something, it is hard for someone to understand that they can no longer do that if you never inform them!

BA have said to me that I should take these items from their lounges, and until such time as they say otherwise, I will have no qualms about taking food or drink for my flight.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FrancisA
Where BA do not want this to happen, there are clear signs to that effect

Don't let anyone on here kid you that removing small items of food and drink is theft. It is not - BA told you (in fact encouraged you) to do it. We will have someone along to say I am wrong. To which I say where, when and how have BA communicated any change from the policy they set out above very publically and in writing.
The signs saying that it is not permitted is pretty much a public written statement - where such signs exist ( and they exist in most lounges I visit ) even small items are as much theft as large items

If the airline wanted small items taken, it would put that as a modifier
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I would take no more than could reasonably be consumed on the flight I am about to board, which may not otherwise be provided. For example, I have taken a banana to have in flight, since those are not carried on a shorthaul to Europe.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
BA's stated position at both LGW and LHR is that you can take food and drinks away for your flight. They put up signs stating this when they reduced the SH Y and DOM catering. At the time they even put out boxes and bags to help you carry these items.

Clearly the intention was that you only take single use items intended for one person's consumption - not bottles of Champagne or JW Blue Label.

Similarly, when newspapers, and before that magazines, stopped being provided in CE, BA advised passengers to take these from the lounge.

Where BA do not want this to happen, there are clear signs to that effect. For instance, at JER there is a sign in the Terraces lounge which says that food and drink are for consumption in the lounge only and the newspapers and magazines are stamped to say that they should not be removed.

... And no, I don't think everything you cannot do needs to be written down, but if you expressly state that you can do something, it is hard for someone to understand that they can no longer do that if you never inform them!

BA have said to me that I should take these items from their lounges, and until such time as they say otherwise, I will have no qualms about taking food or drink for my flight.
Good to know, it wasn't my intent to suggest otherwise, just to give clear examples of where I've explicitly been told to freely take things from the lounge.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 11:37 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by londonba2014
That being said I was at the Open Day on Saturday, on some of the aircraft, saw people putting the Club World headphones on the seats into their bags, they mustn't realise that they won't work at home, oh well!!
Good grief ...

It surely must need only a very tiny smidgeon of morality to understand just how dishonest this is. Obviously it's rather more of a slippery slope from a packet of crisps than I thought!
watersign likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
IMHO, stuffing your bags with food and drink items taken from a BA lounge is so chav. I'm sure it's not the kind of behaviour that BA want to see or fellow BA lounge passengers want to see. It cheapens the image of BA and its passengers.

Obviously taking the odd item, where permitted, to consume on board a BA flight isn't an issue.

But four cans of booze? Seriously?
OneworldHarj likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I feel guilty if I stick a packet of crisps in my bag.

Today I watched one person raid the bar in galleries north. Amongst other things I saw her cram 4 cans of Heineken in her bag.

Sounds as though she was going equipped: 4 cans is quite a volume, and a considerable weight.

I can never get more than a single can in my bag. Any more and it crushes the crisps.
Qatar Airways, alvinlwh and abligh like this.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Easy solution - ask one of the staff if you can take [a packet of crisps and a drink] for the flight. I sincerely doubt any of them would say no. I haven't done this in a BA lounge but regularly grab a pack of something and a bottle of water from the AA flagship lounges in the US. Staff are always very happy to consent to me taking them.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Morality aside, it is surely rather demeaning to oneself to be pinching* food, drink or anything else from the lounge (or anywhere else for that matter)?

*if it is expressly permitted, then it doesn't count as pinching.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
I was in the GLA lounge a view weeks ago and saw a couple put about 20 cans of beer/soft drinks in their bags. I jokingly mentioned it to the lounge attendant and she said they were crew !!
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
These threads (and there are lots of them) quickly polarise into the dour 'theft is theft" and my own laissez faire approach.

In between there'll be an awful lot of guff on the lines of "what I take is fine, but what he takes is theft": these lines will be peppered with words such as "small", "modest", "consume on board"

As usual, LTN has nailed it. It's deeply tacky to nick food and drink. Unless, of course, it's just the odd can and bag of crisps

It's also tacky to snitch on lounge looters, but that opens another question for our ethics panel.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:33 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12F70 Safari/600.1.4)

As usual, a FT thread focuses on the legal position, which is pretty much irrelevant due to self policing and lack of enforcement.

Surely the issue here is simple greed? Like the guy at Saturday's Open Day who literally filled his arms with First amenity kids without any shame,
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

Would the fact those signs and bags have long since been removed from the lounges suggest BA have communicated that you should no longer take these items???
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:56 am

I remember this being done to death on another thread recently.

Surely it all comes down to a matter if judgement. I doubt BA care about a drink and a packet of crisps but 4 cans of beer seems a bit excessive even if there are signs inviting you to take a drink (which I don't recall seeing, either).

Eventually there will be a crack down and the airline will take the rap for a few people who have gone OTT.

I thknk taking the headsets at the BA open day is different, and in my view that is theft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.