Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:38 am

I have never taken anything from a lounge mostly because I travel with whatever I need from home. Sometimes, I might take water with me because well they make you throw that away at security check and I can get thirsty. In the same light, I don't think its morally wrong for someone to grab a can or two of coke or an apple for the munchies. I think we all know when its using a service and we also realize when its misusing.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Has NO-ONE got a recent copy of Debrett's?!?!
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:45 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think that is rather different from taking things from the lounge as salt and pepper sachets on your tray have specifically been given to you and they would be thrown out if they are not used or taken by you.
I guess the tongue-in-cheek shade of that bit of my post didn't come through so well. But imagine if BA were to start cost cutting by asking for consumables back...salt, butter, or gasp, ice from F to be reused in CW drinks. ;-)
Old Jun 15, 2015, 4:30 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Banana4321
Has NO-ONE got a recent copy of Debrett's?!?!
Before status is give getting the person to read Debretts and test them on it before allowing them status. Now that's an idea.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
I think we all suspected that BA replaced the Walkers biscuit packets with the cookie jars as it is too much hassle to try and 'export' loose biscuits as opposed to the handily packaged goods that seem to fall into carry-on bags in large numbers.
In the same way the change from individual sachets to the single jar of Marmite has been 100% effective. It's hard enough to get it onto your toast never mind taking it with you.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
In the same way the change from individual sachets to the single jar of Marmite has been 100% effective. It's hard enough to get it onto your toast never mind taking it with you.
And utterly impractical and un-hygeinic ... but it looks cute.

So, the end result is that the Service area is clogged up with people trying to spread <whatever> on their [cold] toast after applying some butter [substitute]?

And a professional Catering Company devised that idea?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by T8191
on their [cold] toast after applying some butter [substitute]?
Or in US lounges, slightly warmed 110V bread.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by bealine
As far as I am concerned, to "steal" (wilfully depriving the owner permanently of their property) is wrong, end of. As far as airline lounges are concerned, I think most would agree on a sensible interpretation:

Any guest who is departing on an onward flight is, as far as I am concerned, welcome to take a few consumable items along (a) to stop you feeling hungry if the catering on your flight isn't up to snuff or (b) as a little emergency back up if you wake up needing a "Scooby Snack" during your first night away in a hotel/apartment and the shops and room service are all closed.

Personally, I would think a bag or two of crisps, shortbread biccies, a tin or two of Sprite/Fanta/Coke is fine as long as they are for your personal consumption. Similarly, snaffling a bacon roll to munch on the way to the gate for an early departure isn't a major problem. I cannot see any justification, however, in lifting anything alcoholic.

At the end of the day, you are a "guest" and, as such, welcome to our hospitality as long as you don't take the mickey! The mickey-takers just spoil it for everyone else as, if too much goes walkies, there is less money in the budget for next month's guests!
I guess you're not a drinker. I would rather drink a beer than a Fanta any time of the day.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by golfmad
Or in US lounges, slightly warmed 110V bread.
The Flounge in BOS doesn't even warm the bread. It just entertains you with a ticking noise while you stand there forever in cramped quarters blocking access to the adjacent coffee machine. I'd be surprised if people hadn't missed flights because of this.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:01 am

Programs: BA G; AY Basic; HHonors G; Marriott S
Another funny incident;

was in LHR T5GC on Saturday and there was an elegant (?) & obviously well-off British extended family heading for ski holiday in Switzerland - a party of 10 (gramma; grpapa; 2xwifes; 2xhusbands; 4xkids). Wearing Prada & LV and so on - so unless those were fake they looked quite well-off.

They were having pre-flight drinks. During the tenure the 2 husbands (sons of GM/GP) started loading their bags with some 20-25 cans of tonic water. They were about to buy 2 liters of taxfree gin in duty free for apres-ski drinks.

Would have loved to see the lounge personnel offload those tonic cans. Instead kept my mouth shut and moved on.

...(wish I would have had the courage to say something)...
Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:09 am

Programs: BA GGL
For SH flights, and depending on the time of day, I will take a can of Fever Tree tonic water from GF on board with me, and use it in place of the Schweppes offering on the aircraft. The CC do sometimes look at me strangely when I only ask for Gin.....
But as for filling up your carry-on with 25 cans (which I would guess is approaching £15 from a supermarket) , have people no shame?
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by snuffi
For SH flights, and depending on the time of day, I will take a can of Fever Tree tonic water from GF on board with me, and use it in place of the Schweppes offering on the aircraft. The CC do sometimes look at me strangely when I only ask for Gin.....
But as for filling up your carry-on with 25 cans (which I would guess is approaching £15 from a supermarket) , have people no shame?
I do the same actually, one can only. It could be seen as sort of a food bank I suppose. Maybe next time offer these poor people some change or suggest they sign up to sell the Big Issue in the lounge...
Old Dec 30, 2015, 4:36 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
take as much as you want. It's not stealing until the value exceeds the amount of money you've spent on YQ on reward tickets.
renwaldo likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by snuffi

I suspect the answer is, in short, NO.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, Virgin Flying Club SCH
Originally Posted by jouhka
Wearing Prada & LV and so on - so unless those were fake they looked quite well-off.

During the tenure the 2 husbands (sons of GM/GP) started loading their bags with some 20-25 cans of tonic water
Which shows, yet again, that having money does not necessarily mean having class.....
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.