Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Question about "My Flights" app [service ends on 31 Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about "My Flights" app [service ends on 31 Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 3:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Not a BA issue by definition unless maybe you are on a JAL Avios redemption.

If flying to Honolulu and probably LAX too, upcoming flights become past flights at the arrival time which is before the departure time. In my case I'm flying at 8.40pm to HNL from ICN and I arrive about 11 hours before I left. So since I woke up this morning my upcoming flight has been a past flight. Took me a while to figure out why it says flight completed already and that's because it's 6.44pm here and my flight ended at 9.40am also today.
Does it work off the time on your device? So if your device is set to local time does it not do this?
Old May 26, 2016, 3:59 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
Does it work off the time on your device? So if your device is set to local time does it not do this?
My iPhone is set to network time which is local time at ICN but still 11 hours after the arrival time.
Old May 26, 2016, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whether the flight is in the future or the past is not dependent on the local time. If for some reason the device's local time is used instead of a fixed reference timezone, I would still class that as a bug, especially for a travel app.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:20 am

Programs: BA GGL
There was a flight at new year that departed Tokyo on the 1st of January 2016 and landed on the 31st of December 2015 :S

Software like this should probably use UTC as much as possible, I imagine.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Whether the flight is in the future or the past is not dependent on the local time. If for some reason the device's local time is used instead of a fixed reference timezone, I would still class that as a bug, especially for a travel app.
Well it depends on what time zone you are in surely? If the local flight time in LAX is 1800 but you are set to UK time on your device then to an app taking the time from the device it would appear that 1800 was 8 hours in the past. I am sure you could work it so the app would detect your location and calculate time from there, but I personally don't wish to be tracked by any more apps than necessary.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the local flight time in LAX is 1800 but you are set to UK time on your device then to an app taking the time from the device it would appear that 1800 was 8 hours in the past. I am sure you could work it so the app would detect your location and calculate time from there, but I personally don't wish to be tracked by any more apps than necessary.
Time is not represented as a local quantity on modern computer systems. Instead, the system keeps track of both GMT and the local timezone. When someone wants to know "the time", it calculates what the time is at the requested timezone (or the local timezone).

The main exception to this is Microsoft Windows, which does the reverse: it keeps track of local time and the local timezone and from this can derive GMT on request.

When you are an app and you want to know what the time is, you specifically ask for either the local time or GMT depending on your requirement.
Old May 30, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Anyone else having problems with the app at present? I've tried to add a new booking on my iPhone and keep getting told it can't find the booking. I've tried to login on the website, and it won't let me, but no error message, and I've just tried logging in on my iPad and get told it can't login
Old May 30, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
Unfortunately not.... It's going offline I'm afraid.

I've reached what I believe is a final impasse in being able to access the Amadeus data.

Thanks to everyone who's supported the app over the last 8 years, this has been far bigger than I ever imagined.

Old May 30, 2016, 9:57 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Well this is sucky news. Thanks schofs for all your efforts over the years
Old May 30, 2016, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by schofs
Unfortunately not.... It's going offline I'm afraid.

I've reached what I believe is a final impasse in being able to access the Amadeus data.

Thanks to everyone who's supported the app over the last 8 years, this has been far bigger than I ever imagined.

Is this just a technical problem? I imagine Amadeus bookings are still viewable with other tools such as checjmytrip so is there any way to solve the issue? Hopefully some suitably app literate folks can help as this would really be devastating if myflights comes to an end.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze
That's bad news, especially as you put in such a lot of hard work. Sorry to see this useful app go.
Thank you schofs for all your efforts.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Terrible news, another big thank you for one of the most useful apps ever. [insert rant not fit for publication]
Old May 30, 2016, 10:18 am

Will be such a shame to see it go - was very useful to keep an eye on changes that the airlines didn't tell us about. Would also like to add my thanks to you schofs for your hard work over the years
Old May 30, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by EuropeToAsia
Terrible news, another big thank you for one of the most useful apps ever. [insert rant not fit for publication]
Agree entirely - one of the most useful travel apps I have used
Old May 30, 2016, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by schofs
Unfortunately not.... It's going offline I'm afraid
That's awful - this app was essential kit for ages now, especially when trying to keep track of QR equipment swaps. Sad to see it go but thank you schofs for the effort you put into it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.