Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Question about "My Flights" app [service ends on 31 Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about "My Flights" app [service ends on 31 Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:05 am
Company Representative: MyFlights App

Programs: MyFlights GOLD :)
Originally Posted by hsmall
Chris

Thanks for this wonderful app. I have one question about Tripit imports. I assume that BA flights included within Tripit trips which are imported into Myflights are monitored for changes in the same way as BA bookings imported direct into Myflights?

I ask because one of my bookings when imported from Tripit has (a) reassigned my EC number to my husband leaving me without one and (b) not brought in the seat reservations.

I wondered what had happened?

Thanks a lot.
Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

When adding/updating a TripIt trip, MyFlights will look to see if it contains any Amadeus/Sabre booking references that it can access. e.g. if you forwarded a BA booking confirmation, tripit would have captured the booking reference, and as it comes through to MyFlights, it will automatically be checked to see if the booking is live.

If live Amadeus/Sabre bookings are found, they're also added to MyFlights (as though you had looked them up using booking reference and last name), and are fully monitored for changes.

So while the TripIt trip itself will not change automatically (because TripIt do nothing to see if there are changes to the booking, they only show what your booking confirmation email had), MyFlights is able to see the actual Amadeus booking and monitor that.

Did the additional booking get shown in MyFlights? It will have had a note in it saying it had been added automatically for monitoring purposes.

Feel free to drop an email to [email protected] with your login email address and the booking reference in question and I can look into it further.

Thanks,
Chris
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by armouredant
TripIt imports aren't monitored (but I WISH they were, Chris!).
Amadeus/Sabre bookings are if they're contained in the TripIt bookings (see post above for how that works)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Jase76
Is there a way to increase the size of the map so you can get a full world view when fully zoomed out?
I'll have a look at this - ta
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:09 am

Chris -- another question if I may (and apologies for being BA off-topic). I'm struggling to import a China Eastern PNR into MyFlights -- are there any known issues with China Eastern blocking access? Or perhaps a known quirk with the name format that they use? Thanks in advance...
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by hearingdouble
Chris -- another question if I may (and apologies for being BA off-topic). I'm struggling to import a China Eastern PNR into MyFlights -- are there any known issues with China Eastern blocking access? Or perhaps a known quirk with the name format that they use? Thanks in advance...
Hi there - according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comput...rvation_system China Eastern don't use Amadeus or Sabre, so they can't be looked up with booking reference/last name.

Let me know if I'm mistaken and I'll do some more digging
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by MyFlights App
Hi there - according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comput...rvation_system China Eastern don't use Amadeus or Sabre, so they can't be looked up with booking reference/last name.

Let me know if I'm mistaken and I'll do some more digging
That would be a rather obvious reason why!! I had assumed that it would be fine as China Southern are also included in the same section of that list (TravelSky) and I've had no problem importing a China Southern booking. I suspect that China Southern are in the wrong section of that Wikipedia list...
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Jase76
Is there a way to increase the size of the map so you can get a full world view when fully zoomed out?
Just to say I've now added an Enlarge button to the top right which increases the size to enable the full world view to be seen when fully zoomed out.
Jase76 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by hearingdouble
That would be a rather obvious reason why!! I had assumed that it would be fine as China Southern are also included in the same section of that list (TravelSky) and I've had no problem importing a China Southern booking. I suspect that China Southern are in the wrong section of that Wikipedia list...
Tell me about it - finding an accurate list of airlines/TAs that use Amadeus is a nightmare!

Thanks for a new data point though!
FlyingScientist likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:20 am

Mods / @Prospero - would it make sense to move this thread to the Travel Tools forum?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Tripit Imports

I have exchanged PMs with the ever helpful Chris. The reason my tripit importers didn't work was because I had already created a direct record of the BA flight in myflights and deleted it so that I could import the complete record of the trip from Tripit. But because myflights remembered that I had deleted the direct record it assumed I didn;t want it to keep it updated. So it didn't touch it.

had I imported everything into tripit to start with then myflights would have imported the whole tripit itinerary, recognised the flight booking and kept a separate record of the flight booking in myflights which it would have kept up to date.

Chris will correct this if I have misunderstood.
EDIflyer and MyFlights App like this.

Last edited by hsmall; Aug 14, 2017 at 10:12 am Reason: superfluous apostrophe
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by hsmall
I have exchanged PMs with the ever helpful Chris. The reason my tripit importer's didn't work was because I had already created a direct record of the BA flight in myflights and deleted it so that I could import the complete record of the trip from Tripit. But because myflights remembered that I had deleted the direct record it assumed I didn;t want it to keep it updated. So it didn't touch it.

had I imported everything into tripit to start with then myflights would have imported the whole tripit itinerary, recognised the flight booking and kept a separate record of the flight booking in myflights which it would have kept up to date.

Chris will correct this if I have misunderstood.
Yup - that's correct. When it imports TripIt trips (new or updated) it'll check if the Amadeus bookings in that TripIt trip are already in your MyFlights account, or have been but have since been deleted. If so, it'll skip them - the last thing you want is it re-creating Amadeus bookings that you've deleted every time the tripit information changes
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Yup - that's correct. When it imports TripIt trips (new or updated) it'll check if the Amadeus bookings in that TripIt trip are already in your MyFlights account, or have been but have since been deleted. If so, it'll skip them - the last thing you want is it re-creating Amadeus bookings that you've deleted every time the tripit information changes
Perhaps a yes/no question to ask if the user wants the trip to be imported again?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Physci
Perhaps a yes/no question to ask if the user wants the trip to be imported again?
It happens in the background (i.e. the user isn't even using MyFlights - it could be that they forwarded something to TripIt, or edited a trip in TripIt) so there wouldn't be a screen to add the question on.

I'll look at what else might be an option (e.g. emailing the question)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: BA GGL
It happens in the background (i.e. the user isn't even using MyFlights - it could be that they forwarded something to TripIt, or edited a trip in TripIt) so there wouldn't be a screen to add the question on.

I'll look at what else might be an option (e.g. emailing the question)
This is why I thought MyFlights didn't update TripIt itins! Sorry, Chris!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:26 am

Hello Chris
Am about to pay for the subs - still trying to decide if it will be silver or gold level. Have a question - I think you have answered it in the thread, but am still thick. So apologise in advance. I have imported a booking from Swiss Air (which I have in TripIt). Myflights does not support Swiss Air. So, does the Swiss Air booking get monitored for changes? I know with other bookings which I could enter directly into Myflights (eg QF, BA, CX, Qatar etc) get monitored for aircraft changes, flight times, seat changes etc. Many thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.